• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Corsair memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
juninjesus said:
Hmmmmm...
I do not think the new memories and 3500C2s are same..
Well.. the chips maybe same...
However, the quality of each chip is differ...

I Have Corsair 512MB 3500C2 memory, and I doen't run @ 200MHz 2-2-2-6 at 2.5 or 2.55V... I need to raise voltage to do that... actually, it's hard even at higher voltage.

However, new 3200LL chip is working at that memory timing...

Corsair said, they hand picked memory chip..
That means, even though original memories rated same, indivisual chips are differ... Some work at higher clock, some work at lower laterncy...

So, 3500C2 and 3200LL are different... I think... Well... They could be same chip... but different....
The big difference here is that the memory, the LL anyway, is now tested to DIFFERENT standards, that's all. your 3500C2 'should' run at 200 2-2-2-6, mine ran at 200 at 2-2-2-5... Now you can't RMA the 3500 and say, it doesn't run at 200 at 2-2-2-6 cause that's not how Corsair rates it, if it wont do 2-3-3-7 at 217, then you can. My TwinMos with 5ns winbond chips is running at 200 2-2-2-4 like a dream... The premium is NOT worth it IMO...

i think so, too bad i ordered my corsair before all the twinmos madness... :(

edit:

hmm. i think mushkin must try to get better so we can have a kinda ats.vs nvidia in memory with mushkin vs. corais and some good products at ana ffordable priec... $225 for a stick of memory is insane!!! 256mb is low mem already...

Last edited:
i already have my xms 512mb 2700 ddr running at 2-2-2-5-t1-0, but i have to run it at 2.85 volts to keep it stable. i wonder if it will run at the 2-2-2-5-t1-0 speed at the normal 2.5 volts? that would be nice if it did. that way it would have a normal life span.

I don't think the Corsair stuff is rated as they are at default voltage. Their advertising will say stuff like DDR434, 2-3-3-7 at up to 2.8 volts.

I don't think any stick can run DDR400, 2-2-2-5 at default voltage, and I've tested almost all the Corsair modules, TwinMOS, and various Samsung DTL and CTL sticks. I have tested 5-ns Winbond on various PCB, as well as 6-ns Winbond.

Case in point: I just bought a spare Corsair XMS3500 C2 Plat. Tested it out last night. I was impatient, so right out of the box, I cranked her up to DDR456, 2-2-3-6 at 2.8 volts like my other Corsair and TwinMOS. Cleared Memtest with no errors. Not even burnt in, so looking good! I tested at guaranteed specs: DDR434, 2-3-3-6, 2.5 volts, and surprisingly, got 12k #5 errors! I was shaken, but found that by just bumping up voltage a notch to 2.6 she ran Memtest clean for 12 hours! (was burning her in) The beauty of Corsair Winbond is they respond tremendously to voltage. Since this stick performs so well to such a slight increase in voltage, it should do at least DDR472, 2-2-2-5 at 3.0 volts like my other XMS3500 stick - on a 4PEA+, anyway.

I have to say stick with Corsair. I have 5-ns TwinMOS that performs identical to XMS3500 C2 on an Albatron board, but the TwinMOS does not run as well on a 4PEA+ (that's why I went out and got a spare XMS3500 stick). The TwinMOS I'll leave on the Alb. board.

Last night I carefully examined a TwinMOS, XMS 3500, and generic ITC stick (all using 5-ns Winbond) and there is SIGNIFICANT difference in circuitry on the PCB! The ITC stick can barely do DDR400, 2-2-2-5 at 2.8 volts, despite its 5-ns Winbond chips! 'Nuff said.

With DDR, there seems to be some magic involved.

If I were buying new I would still go with the good old Twinmos and have to use more relaxed timings. I don't think that timings that tight are going to be impressive vs. higher overclocks at relexed timings anyway....

I am trying to look ahead a few months... wonder what the Intel Springdale chipset will run best with?

Back