• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New CPU Advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I just tried a low pop server and was getting okay results in some spots, 30 fps in others. (everything on ultra except antialiasing off)

I was monitoring cpu and gpu usage during the game and, at the point I was getting 30 fps (looking out over a ridge onto some heavy polygon areas), my gpu was sitting at 54-70% usage and all four cores were at high 70s-80% usage. Is this correct...? I figure if it was struggling to put out frames those numbers would be closer to 100 for all
Off the top of my head, when was the last time you cleaned up the HD drive and or swept for malware/spyware/virus. Do you have programs running in the background, fraps, skype etc?

Have you made sure that your RAM isn't bad? Or partially bad? If your system only had like 2GB of actual usable RAM and the rest of it was dead, and it was constantly having to read off VMem, that could be causing this. Have you run Memtest? You should. Good thing to rule out IMO.

Off the top of my head, when was the last time you cleaned up the HD drive and or swept for malware/spyware/virus. Do you have programs running in the background, fraps, skype etc?

Yes I did have skype and some other misc programs open (nothing heavier than skype though, unless AVG is causing the problem)

I run malware scans somewhat frequently so I doubt malware is doing anything.

For the sake of expanding the benchmarks, I tried out ARMA 3 singleplayer, which ran well at most spots (high 50s, 60 fps on vsync), but for a gunfight in the forest I was averaging 30-high 40s and I monitored gpu usage.

Max was like 60%, cpu I didn't record but looked at it on the other monitor reading in 50s-70s for all cores, but fluctuating.

Is this normal?

And I am running a memtest now to check if that is part of the problem. I did get kind of cheap ram, reportedly very fast though.

Well looking at this benchmark for it, it looks about normal.

Yeah, I it seems to line up with that pretty well.
What I meant to ask was whether the cpu/gpu usage in the 70% range was normal when the game isn't pumping that many frames.

Yeah, I it seems to line up with that pretty well.
What I meant to ask was whether the cpu/gpu usage in the 70% range was normal when the game isn't pumping that many frames.

Yup that's not abnormal. Some games, when they're really weighing your system down, can get to 15FPS on certain systems and the CPU and GPU are still at 70-80%. The framerate gets higher the easier the game is on your system, not the harder it is.

Ok cool. The cpu is performing as expected then. I didn't want to ship off a broken part to my friend.

As far as my cpu goes, I know the i7 4770k might be overkill...but I think I'm gonna get it. I do not plan on buying a new cpu in at least 3-4 years, so I think, if I have the money now, I might as well spend it on something future proof.

If gaming starts making use of HT soon (ie within 3-4 years) which I would hope they would, I think getting an i7 now is smart(ish). I haven't decided yet, but I'm definitely thinking about it.

I'm not ruling out the Haswell Refresh stuff though, excited to see what they've got coming up.

As far as 1150 mobos for < $200 go, do you all have any recommendations?

Edit: I have a microcenter near me, and the 4770k is only $270! If I can get it for that price I will definitely go with i7.

Last edited:
Ok cool. The cpu is performing as expected then. I didn't want to ship off a broken part to my friend.

As far as my cpu goes, I know the i7 4770k might be overkill...but I think I'm gonna get it. I do not plan on buying a new cpu in at least 3-4 years, so I think, if I have the money now, I might as well spend it on something future proof.

If gaming starts making use of HT soon (ie within 3-4 years) which I would hope they would, I think getting an i7 now is smart(ish). I haven't decided yet, but I'm definitely thinking about it.

I'm not ruling out the Haswell Refresh stuff though, excited to see what they've got coming up.

As far as 1150 mobos for < $200 go, do you all have any recommendations?

If you buy Haswell (which I would not do. I always buy the newest chipset, newest CPU. That comes out in like a week I think. Why not wait and get the next gen i7?) then hands down I suggest the Z87-A by ASUS. There's a new refresh of it with NFC built in. It's $130-140, has everything you'll ever need, and overclocks very well. It's cheap but it's 8 phase. Nothing but good reviews. Lots of people on the forum have built with it and nobody's complained yet. It's the board I would have bought if I were buying Haswell.

I can't speak for the Z97 stuff because there are no reviews of it running Haswell Refresh cpus yet. All I've heard is that you seem to have to push a little more voltage into Haswell chips on them to get the same clocks as you did on Z87.

Here's an attractive British girl explaining some of the new features of Z97. Watch it. Even if you watch it just because she's attractive, that's ok.

If you buy Haswell (which I would not do. I always buy the newest chipset, newest CPU. That comes out in like a week I think. Why not wait and get the next gen i7?) then hands down I suggest the Z87-A by ASUS. There's a new refresh of it with NFC built in. It's $130-140, has everything you'll ever need, and overclocks very well. It's cheap but it's 8 phase. Nothing but good reviews. Lots of people on the forum have built with it and nobody's complained yet. It's the board I would have bought if I were buying Haswell.

I can't speak for the Z97 stuff because there are no reviews of it running Haswell Refresh cpus yet. All I've heard is that you seem to have to push a little more voltage into Haswell chips on them to get the same clocks as you did on Z87.

Here's an attractive British girl explaining some of the new features of Z97. Watch it. Even if you watch it just because she's attractive, that's ok.

There are no K variants coming with the Haswell refresh, so is there really a point in going for the i7 4790 over the i7 4770k? I mean if I can't OC it wouldn't the higher base clock not really amount to anything?
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7831/intels-haswell-4th-generation-processor-refresh-prices-leaked

Also, I'm going to need an aftermarket fan regardless of what I go for since my cpu gets pretty hot as it is now. Any recommendations for that?

Also, just want to thank all of you guys for your help.

AFAIK the K sku's will be coming later than the non-K sku's.

It would be wiser to buy a 4770K than a 4790 if you were to buy a CPU today.

Ok that's what I thought.
I need to buy something by the end of this week in order to sell the 2500 so I'll probably end up going with the 7670k (it is so cheap at microcenter).

As far as cooling goes--the reason (I think) that my not-OC'd 2500 gets pretty hot (75+ C) near 90+% load is because I have a pair of cockatiels who generate a lot of dust in my house. (just nature of their feathers) I have to clean my case out like every couple weeks to keep it clean. Anyways, would a liquid coolign system use airflow less (in other words, reduce dust buildup?) I'm moving in a couple months so I won't have my cpu near them for long, but I don't want to trash my new parts with dust before then.

Ok that's what I thought.
I need to buy something by the end of this week in order to sell the 2500 so I'll probably end up going with the 7670k (it is so cheap at microcenter).

As far as cooling goes--the reason (I think) that my not-OC'd 2500 gets pretty hot (75+ C) near 90+% load is because I have a pair of cockatiels who generate a lot of dust in my house. (just nature of their feathers) I have to clean my case out like every couple weeks to keep it clean. Anyways, would a liquid coolign system use airflow less (in other words, reduce dust buildup?) I'm moving in a couple months so I won't have my cpu near them for long, but I don't want to trash my new parts with dust before then.

7670K? I don't think that exists. A liquid cooling design would have the same problems with dust that air cooling has.

A 4670K is hardly an impressive upgrade from a 2500K. I would really advise you not to spend your money that way... The 4670K will run even hotter than the 2500K.

er...I meant 4770k.
I have to upgrade this week since I need to sell that other computer with my 2500 in it, and I'm not aware of any higher end cpu/mobo combos on a ~$500 budget.

Last edited:
Ok well if you have to buy right away try to get your hands on an ASUS Z97-A (The Z87-A was many people's favorite Z-87 board and was widely recommended on this forum. It was also well reviewed and overclocked well). And grab a 4770K. Should run you about $480.

Ok well if you have to buy right away try to get your hands on an ASUS Z97-A (The Z87-A was many people's favorite Z-87 board and was widely recommended on this forum. It was also well reviewed and overclocked well). And grab a 4770K. Should run you about $480.

Thank you so much for all your help.

I sold my 2500 and other parts and that transaction went smoothly.

I got the i7 4770k and the z87-a (unfortunately the microcenter did not have any z97-a's, and I figured I won't be upgrading in the next 2.5 years so getting a board for broadwell wasn't all that important. I hope I didn't make a mistake there).

The performance increase is incredible. The new cpu absolutely slaughters BF4 64 player servers at everything maxed out. I could not be more pleased.

I was reccomended by one of the salesmen and one of the shoppers at microcenter to get a coolermaster hyper 212 evo heatsink, and damn does this thing keep the cpu cool. Under load I have yet to break 60 C.

Again, thanks so much.

Last edited:
GTX 780 = 250w x 20% overclock = 300w max
4770k = 84w overclocked on ambient cooling maybe 120-125w tops
Corsair CX 600 is 522w on the 12v rail you will be fine.

Back