• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New CPU - High temps 100%

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KanagiF

Registered
So awhile back my CPU was over-heating so I bought a Hyper 212+. I loved it, was a drastic 20 degree difference over old heat-sink, but I wasn't able to put the fan on it due to my CPU socket being RIGHT under the top of my case. Well, I upgraded mobos/CPUs and have a 3570K now.

Well, when I run OCCT at full load, it INSTANTLY goes from 30 degrees to 60, and hovers around there. Is this typical? I OC'd it to 4.4GHZ and I got the same result. Instant 60, then aims between 60 and 70 slowly growing. I'm wanting too (And thinking about) putting the push/pull system on the Hyper 212 because I mean, it needs it. But I don't have the plastic clips it came with.

(My case has the rear fan about 4 inches from the Hyper 212, and the top fan is MAYBE 2 inches from it, so I'm wondering if maybe it will even really boost the temp.)

My original question is: Why does this new CPU get so hot, so quick? Like it goes from 30 to 60-70 the instant I start it, and calms down to 40 as soon as it ends. Is the core temp just being too sensitive and registering the voltage increase as direct temperature?

hyper212 is a decent cooler, but the new ivy bridge cpus run HOT. I'd say you're fine. and a 4.4ghz oc is at about the limit anyways. did you adjust the voltage? there is one you can lower sometimes. max temp on that cpu is 110c, so you have lots of head room. have you considered adding a pull fan to the hyper212 also? what thermal paste are you using?

ATM I have no fans on the 212. I want to set up a push-pull system, but I'm trying to figure out how to get it to stick to the heatsink without the clasps.

I forget the exact name. Some Arctic Freeze Thermal I got at MicroCenter. Don't have it with me. I don't usually leave the comp at 4.4 to be honest. Usually just when I wanna OCCT it/bench it. I never max it out, as is.

For no fans, thats great! These CPU's are good to the 90s. So no worries there... just get a fan on it.

Any idea how to get a fan onto the metal heatsink without those clamps? I was originally thinking about getting two and using a rubberband to kinda 'force' them together? Haha.

Could use some rubber bands like you mentioned, or if you have some zip ties lying around, you could use those.

I have the Hyper 212 EVO and I didn't notice any difference between push, pull, or push/pull. Just get a fan on it!

Last edited:
Back