• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new fx 8320 voltage fluctuates

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jday

Registered
Hi there! i recently just put together a new build consisting of

Sabertooth 990fx rev 2.0
AMD FX 8320
16 gb ddr3 1600 ram AMD radeon RE1600 entertainment series
Sapphire R9 270x overclock edition
Corsair H110 cooler 240mm radiator with fans in push pull configuration
128 gb plextor ssd
1 tb seagate barracuda (had it laying around)

now everything is running stock on the thing, the only things i did in the bios was set the ram timmings and make sure all the power saving features were off. Here's where things get odd to me any ways, when I run CPU-id in the vcore jumps from .9 all the way to 1.4 at idle, and from 1.2 to 1.43 under load.

now should i maybe look at doing an RMA on this cpu or should i just try OC'ing it? :confused:

will get screen grabs up when i get back home this afternoon

This is not a problem. You missed something when disabling the power saving features is all. Look in windows and set it to high performance and see if that resolves the 'issue'.

You know i was so excited to get it up and running i more than likely did miss that in windows. when i get home ill try it and post back, thanks for the quick reply

Ya E_Ds correct, check the bios for C&Q, EPU, Turbo, C1E, C6 and APM Make sure all are disabled.

thank you guys so very much! this uefi bios is gonna take me a minute to get used to lol, im coming from a CH IV Formula with a 1050T

shes running very stable!

now to have fun with her,

Ya it's a bit of an adjustment. I thought I was going bonkers at first. Just didn't feel right, now it's the opposite for me.

Disable turbo, C1E and EPU to lock your multiplier. I recommend leaving them unless you go for extreme overclocks tho. Saves quite a bit of power :)

I recommend that you turn off all the green stuff uNtiL you get the board where you intend to go with your overclock.
1. So that when you post up captures they will reflect the full speed of the cpu and we won't be looking at some idle speed wondering what in heck the max speed really was.

2. The green stuff is able to adjust the voltages and speeds by its' ownself and it doing so makes it tough for the newer user and us to know where the Max of anything really is.

3. I have been fooling with the 8 core FX processor on a very good CHV motherboard for about 1.5 years now and when I finally decided to turn all the green stuff back on but C6 and Turobcore, it took me a few weeks Off and On to get it just right. Had to swap to using Offset Vcore to really get it spot on as less than spot on was not for me. So get the board to full stability where you think you will run 24/7 and "then" turn the green stuff back on and see what must be twiddled to 'again' get fully stable at your expected 24/7 clock.
RGone...

thank you guys for all the input and help. So far i have the the flucuating vcore under control been poking in on it every so often and over the past hour and a half the voltage hasnt moved more .03 at idle.

i cant wait till i actually have some time tonight to see what i can make this thing do, it's probally not gonna be to epic seeing as how im only using a h110 as a cooler, i do have 4 fans on the rad though.

its exciting to finally get to play with an 8 core after haveing a 1050t for so long

Yes you need to use offsets for C1E and EPU to work properly but I never had any issues with them but I do run at extreme LLC. Load line calibration makes a big difference when using "green stuff" :) playing with power response times and cranking up current capabilities is needed too.

thank you guys for all the input and help. So far i have the the flucuating vcore under control been poking in on it every so often and over the past hour and a half the voltage hasnt moved more .03 at idle.

i cant wait till i actually have some time tonight to see what i can make this thing do, it's probally not gonna be to epic seeing as how im only using a h110 as a cooler, i do have 4 fans on the rad though.

its exciting to finally get to play with an 8 core after haveing a 1050t for so long

It's a decent board for OC, just keep some air moving over vrms and you should be OK for up to 4,5Ghz if your chip is decent. What the stock VID on it?

Last edited:
ahh im following now. it was just a touch over 1.3 when i checked it in windows with CPUz
for the first time

Like i said earlier i would post a screen grab. so here we go :)

i gave it a slight bump im still under the turbo core for this chip but this was after 1 hour of p95 blend

i think i have a bit of wiggle room :p

when i actually dive into it i will start a new thread guys

Attachments

• cpuz1.PNG
    cpuz1.PNG
    148.3 KB · Views: 272
Yes "Jday" you have headroom at this point. By the way...nice size pics and all is there and viewable with a right click and 'view pic". Nice most cannot seem to get the handle on that simple task. No wonder they struggle to overclock. Thanks again.
RGone...

It's always nice when a new user comes to the forum and can do the simple tasks the are asked in order to help them, :thup: JDay. I also second that the temps look good.

:D Alright guys I'm back again.

I made a few changes to her. Bumped the bus speed up to 225, increased the multiplier, and fed the vcores a bit more juice.

I feel happy with it right now, and i just wanted to see what you guys think of my results and maybe if you guys have any input.

Here is the most current snip after a 1 hour P95 blend test.

I intend to run a longer blend test after a bit.

Attachments

• 4.5ghzOC 1 hour blend.PNG
    4.5ghzOC 1 hour blend.PNG
    151.9 KB · Views: 263
Last edited:
Man that looks really good for 4.5, my 8350 is a huge pig compared to that 8320 you've got. I was fight ing to keep it at 1.4 for 4.5. You still have lotsa headroom too.

From this point could i just look at bumping up the multiplier and add to the vcore for stability as needed? Or should i continue to keep scaling things like i have, and if so should i maybe drop my intial memory clock speed back from 1600, to maybe 1333 or lower?

Back