• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new fx 8320 voltage fluctuates

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
From this point could i just look at bumping up the multiplier and add to the vcore for stability as needed? Or should i continue to keep scaling things like i have, and if so should i maybe drop my intial memory clock speed back from 1600, to maybe 1333 or lower?
JDay it's all about how far you want to go and how much you want to play. There is nothing wrong with pushing the FSB further but just to insure that the the memory being OC'ed isn't the cause if and when you run into instability, yes you may want to drop it down to a lower multiplier for now. That way you can find stability on the Cpu first then you can always bring the memory back up. It just makes it easier to pin point instability issues when really pushing.

Or you can do as you thought you were going to do and just bump the multiplier by 0.5 and test and add Vcore as needed keeping the socket/cpu temp to less than 70c-ish and the Package/ccore temp to less than 62c-ish.

I say bump the multiplier since you already have your ram overclocked some and it should be fine where it is IF you leave the FSB alone and leaving FSB alone will keep the ram from going up any faster. I use the FSB to adjust the ram speed once I know where the cpu itself will clock up to. Add FSB get faster ram speed for the multiplier the ram is at when I begin to raise the FSB.
RGone...

That is quite outstanding result for 8320. I haven't seen many over 4,3Ghz bellow 1.4vcore
if that runs stable you might have a golden chip.
This board gives cpu/nb very high voltage by default. have you adjusted it any? Mine was 1.4V out of the box. Just curious since you reach that speed with that low vcore. Decent 8350 runs with those settings but never seen 8320 do that.

That is quite outstanding result for 8320. I haven't seen many over 4,3Ghz bellow 1.4vcore
if that runs stable you might have a golden chip.
This board gives cpu/nb very high voltage by default. have you adjusted it any? Mine was 1.4V out of the box. Just curious since you reach that speed with that low vcore. Decent 8350 runs with those settings but never seen 8320 do that.

yes actually i set the manual cpu voltage to 1.3 and it is able to slide up a little im not sure why though

so far with the current clock she has passed a 3 hour P95 blend test, so i think im gonna go ahead and take advantage of the extra head room i have and see how high i can fly before i have to get a legit water loop :cool:

Last edited:
take advantage of the extra head room i have and see how high i can fly before i have to get a legit water loop :cool:

You do seem to have a little head room left and I would like to see what sort of clock that FX-8320 might reach. As time goes on and they mature the fab of a cpu, there are minor changes that come to the light.

You may not have quite enough cooling to see this but C_D did in fact get to see this happen with two FX-8350s that he bought. He knew what the two FX-8350s had for a P-State before he bought them and bought according to their low P-State voltages.

One had a 1.29xVcore at 4.0Ghz default speed and the other had 1.31xVcore at 4.0Ghz default clock speed. Now here is where it gets crazy. We had seen FX-8350s that would as far as we could tell all run over 5.0Ghz with at least 'benching' stability. BUT that 1.29xVcore FX-8350 that we had hoped would be one fast cpu, in fact would not go beyond 4.8Ghz at all. NO matter how much Vcore you slapped the thing with. No ability to run a blinding speed but would run the 4.8Ghz on a Vcore low enough and heat low enough to easily run the 4.8Ghz on air cooling. Now that is one strange bird of a cpu for sure. We really had never experienced such acting by any previous FX-8350 cpu.

To finish the tale of the two cpus, the second one (actually the third) FX-8350 he bought was able to easily run on up the scale and he was able to game with it at 5.0Ghz on pretty heffy water cooling. So of those two cpus one was a sort of a dud for us overclockers since it would not buzz on up there but worked fine for the person he sold it to as they never intended to 'buzz it up' at all. And of the two bought at the same time the 1.31xVcore (at 4.0Ghz speed) one he kept would buzz on up there far better than the 'very first' FX-8350 that C_D purchased.

So either the FAB fo the cpus is maturing and making an odd difference in how the 8 core FX's respond or the release of the FX-9xxx lineup of cpus has caused the lesser 8 cores to now be somehow oddly a little different than they once were.

So in the end I wonder if the FX-8320 in use here is one of the newer cpus that is sort of acting odd compared to a years worth of FX 8 cores we have been experiencing?
RGone...

Well guys here is an update on the oddity that appears to be my 8320-FX lol

as i started pushing past 4.5 she didn't like really running under 1.4 on vcore anymore :shrug: i'm ok with that for now. Temps are getting up there a little bit now but according to rGone i have a bit more room, this screen cap is after 45 minutes on P95 blend.

im gonna put her to bed for the night, and i will really give her a stressing tomarow.

P.S. thanks for the insights and advice all of you have given me :salute:

Attachments

• 2-15-14 oc.PNG
    2-15-14 oc.PNG
    152.1 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
JDay as you push further the Cpu voltage requirements are going to increase dramatically, it's just the nature of the beast. The more heat the more voltage you'll need so the cooler you can keep it the better off you'll be.

The only reason I was disappointed that I had to go up was that it was running so well on 1.3 volts at 4.5 ghz. I was hopping that I was going to be able to keep the vcore "relatively" low for the O.C. As I continued to push it higher.

"Jday" you need to get out and about some. Read some of these threads and look at what is actuallly being used for Vcore and not what you "wish" was so since in most cases it is just always the same for FX processors. At a point speed means m0re Vcore. More speed means even more Vcore and so on until the Vcore limit or the temp limit is reached. No two cpus are ever completely the same. Maybe similar but most often until they are really tweaked out, they don't appear to really act like someone elses.

Thought I had posted a chart of my Vcore for my FX-8350 at various speeds up to 5.4Ghz I think it was.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7408184&postcount=5
Took a little time and went back over my captures of the FX-8350 for the Vcore used at each level of CPU Mhz.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=724953&page=11
Starting about 3 or 4 posts down on that page, I begin a test of my FX-8350 with air cooling. Albeit air cooling that is not cheap or shabby. I remember how shocked I was that my air cooling expedition required at least 0.03Volts more Vcore than the same speeds on my W/C setup. So more cool really does equal somewhat less Vcore for a given cpu speed. Here I am not talking about plus 6Ghz runs since there it is the cooling that allows any Vcore to equate to a faster speed.

I posted this earlier tonight in another thread for "mtdewcowboy" to take a look at. It might do you well to take a look also. Getting min volts also usually means a lesser overclock. Fact of life with overclocking.
RGone...

Back