• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New gaming rig - how much RAM?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rebelwarlock

It's been a while since I built a system (my current one has DDR2), but I'm about to replace motherboard, processor, and RAM. I already have a recently updated video card and power supply. The CPU is going to be an I7-4770k. How much RAM should I be getting? I commonly hear 16gb, but does it really have much advantage over 8gb? I haven't seen any games that would even edge close to finishing the 8gb, let alone needing more.

It's been a while since I built a system (my current one has DDR2), but I'm about to replace motherboard, processor, and RAM. I already have a recently updated video card and power supply. The CPU is going to be an I7-4770k. How much RAM should I be getting? I commonly hear 16gb, but does it really have much advantage over 8gb? I haven't seen any games that would even edge close to finishing the 8gb, let alone needing more.

8GB is ample for gaming, no more is needed, I purely got mine for aesthetic reasons as i didnt like 2 empty slots in my mobo, lol. If you are strapped for cash get 8GB you will see no noticeable difference between that and 16gb

⇑ This.

Check the supported dimms for your MB. RAM pricing has been on the rise since January but has leveled out lately. Some deals still to be found.

Ever get your apartment's heat/circulation issue settled?

8GB is ample for gaming, no more is needed, I purely got mine for aesthetic reasons as i didnt like 2 empty slots in my mobo, lol. If you are strapped for cash get 8GB you will see no noticeable difference between that and 16gb

Yeah, I figured it would be something like this.

⇑ This.

Check the supported dimms for your MB. RAM pricing has been on the rise since January but has leveled out lately. Some deals still to be found.

Ever get your apartment's heat/circulation issue settled?

I moved my computer out into the living room, which helped a lot. Then last month I finally broke down and started using the AC anyway.

IF you have an SSD, take a look at Tom's Hardware Guide today. It's reported that 16GB RAM can/will extend the life of SSDs by reducing the number of writes.

If you're talking about this one, it raised instant red flags when their tests were 4gb and 16gb, ignoring the possibility of any other amounts of ram. That's a massive jump, and there's no indication of when the disk write reduction starts going into diminishing returns (which I'd be willing to wager happens around 6gb for those tests).

That's the article and I quite agree with you, Rebel. But, with the low price of RAM, 16GB should be a serious consideration. An extra $40-50 spent on additional RAM seems to be cheap insurance.

Back