• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New GPU or new CPU+Mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-Ice

Hey guys!

I was hoping to upgrade my PC by buying a newer card, but I just realized it may not be the best way to spend my money. My current rig is an i5 750 on a Gigabyte P55-US3L with 8GB DDR3 RAM 1600MHz and a HD 6970 2GB. My primary time-waster is Falcon 4 BMS which I run on 4 screens -- 3 screens (19"-24"-19") with a combined res of 4480x1080 via SoftTH plus 1 touchscreen at 1920x1080 res. When playing, I get upper-teens to mid-twenties FPS on the ground and high-twenties to low-thirties FPS in the air. I ran MSI Afterburner to monitor my GPU usage and found out that my GPU is only running at 55% tops but I am maxxing out my 2GB RAM on the GPU.

I had thought of upgrading by buying a 3GB or higher card, but then I realized that my board is PCI-E 2.0 and was told that the newer cards were PCI-E 3 and would only be slowed down by my board. I also have two SSDs connected to this board which only does 3GB/s.

My initial plan was to come here to ask whether to get a GTX 770 4GB or a HD 7970 3GB but now I feel that my "upgrade money" is best spent upgrading my CPU and motherboard. I am hoping to still be able to use my cooler (Hyper 212 Evo) and RAM on the new setup.

So, three questions:
1. Is my money better spent on upgrading my CPU/motherboard or will a PCI-E 2 vs PCI-E 3 not make much of a difference?

2. If upgrading my CPU is better, any recommendations of CPU and board? I'm a "bang for my buck" gamer as you can see by my i5 750 choice vs an i7, so I'm alright with being just slightly behind bleeding-edge. My current rig is coming up 4 years now and has served me very well, anything that'll last me 3-4 years would be sweet.

3. If upgrading my GPU is better, any recommendations? I've been an ATI guy as of late (previous 3 cards were ATI), but I'm not sure if the 7970's 3GB is enough vs the 770's 4GB. I'd grab a 6GB card but at the moment they're quite steep. I only run a few games on triple-screen (BMS, Deus Ex, Mass Effect) while others I am happy to run 1920x1080, so basically all I am hoping for is a bit more headroom and not to max out the card all the time.

I know these questions are quite broad, so thanks for bearing with me. Just want to see what you guys think and hopefully this will help me come to a decision.

EDIT: I just saw my "spec signature" below and all I've changed is the GPU (XFX ATI Radeon HD 6970 2GB) and the case (Corsair Carbide 500R), everything is still the same.

Last edited:
PCIe 2.0 won't bottleneck any card out there and you still get the majority of the benefits of the SSD on SATA II.

Is your CPU overclocked?

Nope, CPU isn't OC'ed but I know it can be as I've tried it about a year ago. Why do you ask? Will a OC'ed CPU help at all with framerates and with the "maxxing out GPU RAM" issue?

No, but it helps in determining which part to upgrade. I'd definitely OC the CPU and pick up a new GPU, a 7970 or a 780.

Not immediately, no. You should get enough of a performance boost on the CPU side from an overclock. Combine that with a GPU that is more powerful and has more vRAM, you should see a significant increase in performance.

Back