• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Here and My build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EmbraceTheHate

Hey guys figured i would say hi and post up my build, that i did a few weeks ago.

CPU: Intel G3258
MOBO: MSI Krait SLI Edition
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb
GPU: MSI R9 270 Gaming
PSU: Antec HCG 620 Watt
CASE: Thermaltake Commander G42
Monitor: Asus...said it was good for gaming dont know which model.
Keyboard: Logitech G710
Mouse: Logitech MX518
Headset: Razer Kraken USB
Speakers: Klipsch Pro Audio 2.1

So far ive been playing alot of Dying Light. It runs it on high, not sure what the fps is. Seems smooth to me. Im pretty happy with the overall build. I do plan on getting a better processor eventually, but i couldnt pass up the good deal the G3258 was. I have never overclocked before so i figured it would be a good cheap processor to start with. I may add some more lights in my case as well. Im thinking of adding a SSD for Windows and Games. Well let me know what you think. Critique if you like, i have thick skin LOL:D
DSC_0026.jpg

Welcome to OCF, enjoy your stay E.T.H.
That set up is pretty nice, ssd is a must if you want a fast pc(everyone want a fast pc right?) a 240gb ssd should be enough for the OS and around 6 to 8 game.

Your speakers are promedia 2.1 not pro audio 2.1 ;)

Nice setup!

Have you overclocked? Make sure you do it through the bios- the right way. Read our Haswell overclocking guide in the Intel CPUs stickes.

You using the cooler that came with the CPU or did you buy a better one?

Any plans to upgrade to a 4690K or 5690K/sell the 3258 once you get comfortable with overclocking?

Welcome ETH.

TOCN, he does mention that he plans on getting a better processor eventually, though not which one specifically.

ETH, it looks like a pretty solid build, and you have plenty of PSU for future upgrades. Overclocking now a days is pretty simple, and like TOCN said there is a pretty handy overclocking guide here.

You almost don't even need to read the guide... :p Moderate overclocks since Sandybridge are hilariously easy. Serious overclocks, on the other hand, still require some tedious time and effort.

If the gameplay appears smooth, no need to overclock. However you can easily overclock to 3.8 ghz and even more if things are favourable to that extent. Also try overclocking your ram a couple 100 mhz above the stock frequency.

Last edited:
Thanks alot guys. No i have never overclocked before. I have been reading up on it though. I know i should not use the OC genie i should do it manually. The bios has lots of settings for overclocking, im still trying to grasp it all. The cooler is stock on the cpu, although im thinking about a coolmaster 212 once i start to OC. Im really not sure how to Oc the ram, i guess in the bios?

I plan to upgrade to a 4690k, but that is a ways down the road, this dual core is doing great for now.

Also what are some suggestions for more case fans. I only have 1 exhaust and 1 intake. Seems to cool good since i did fairly well with cable management, but it can always be better. So many options, i do like the 120mms, quiet is important to me as well. Leds are ok to :)

Last edited:
You can usually get quite a bit out of most 3258s from overclocking. And the 212 evo with how cheap it is will be a great option for you. And we have very good guides here to walk you through overclocking as well as very knowledgable individuals that are willing to help you out.

Leave the ram alone... It's not worth it in most cases to do so, unless you are into benchmarking.

You may find the dual core lacking as you play more games, some games it won't let you period. Should hold you over for a bit Though. :)

Welcome!

Leave the ram alone... It's not worth it in most cases to do so, unless you are into benchmarking.

You may find the dual core lacking as you play more games, some games it won't let you period. Should hold you over for a bit Though. :)

Welcome!

Definitely don't screw with the RAM.

Cooler wise you can get by with an Arctic Freezer 7 Pro. That's what I have. Half the cost of the 212. You're voltage limited with it before you're heat limited so it's all you need. If you plan on a better CPU in future though get the 212 as a minimum.

Welcome!

Ya there is a few games that are quad core only. Supposedly Dying Light was but i guess they patched it. Im thinking ill run it until i cant efficiently run a game.

Definitely don't screw with the RAM.

Cooler wise you can get by with an Arctic Freezer 7 Pro. That's what I have. Half the cost of the 212. You're voltage limited with it before you're heat limited so it's all you need. If you plan on a better CPU in future though get the 212 as a minimum.
Ok i wont touch the RAM lol. Ill take a look at the AF7 cooler, thanks!

Ya there is a few games that are quad core only. Supposedly Dying Light was but i guess they patched it. Im thinking ill run it until i cant efficiently run a game.

Ok i wont touch the RAM lol. Ill take a look at the AF7 cooler, thanks!

Just remember, the AF7 pro is not good enough for an overclocked 4690K. If you ever upgrade your CPU you will need a new heatsink.

Btw i see how picky everyone is about cable management LOL.

Here is the inside of mine, i think i did pretty good
DSC_0034.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

ill probably go with a coolmaster 212 then.

You want that card in the top slot, not the bottom slot. Although the performance, particularly with a lower end card, will be the same, you are still running at 8X link vs 16X link in the top slot. If only for the sake of E-Peen and nerd OCD I would switch it over.

Also by having your PSU face up rather than face down you're pumping additional heat into the case, particularly when the PSU fan isn't spinning. Having your GPU so close to the PSU means the GPU is eating that extra heat.

Nice cable management.

You want that card in the top slot, not the bottom slot. Although the performance, particularly with a lower end card, will be the same, you are still running at 8X link vs 16X link in the top slot. If only for the sake of E-Peen and nerd OCD I would switch it over.

Also by having your PSU face up rather than face down you're pumping additional heat into the case, particularly when the PSU fan isn't spinning. Having your GPU so close to the PSU means the GPU is eating that extra heat.

Nice cable management.

WOW i didnt know that! I will flip it around here in a bit. Thanks for that bit of advice!

WOW i didnt know that! I will flip it around here in a bit. Thanks for that bit of advice!

You don't have to flip your PSU over. Having it face up is a legitimate option. Just move your card to the top slot. Flipping your PSU may give you more headaches than you think, in terms of the work involved.

Put your (I believe it is a wireless card??) above your GPU in the top PCIEX1 slot, then put your GPU in the top PCIE X16 slot.

You don't have to flip your PSU over. Having it face up is a legitimate option. Just move your card to the top slot. Flipping your PSU may give you more headaches than you think, in terms of the work involved.

Put your (I believe it is a wireless card??) above your GPU in the top PCIEX1 slot, then put your GPU in the top PCIE X16 slot.

Will do! Thanks again!

Back