• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New HTPC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TechtonicPC

Member, formerly Surfrat
Hey guys and girls.

I am finally going to put together an HTPC after utilizing Mezmo for media streaming over the last year and a half. Mezmo served it's purpose, however I miss having actual media functions like a true forward and rewind.

My purpose for this will be the following:

1. Play Blue Ray Movies
2. Stream Movies from my ripped BRD collection to the other TVs in the house
3. Amazon Prime Watching
4. Youtube
5. Some minor game playing

I have run CAT 5E Cable throughout the house so not worried about streaming my blueray collection over wifi.

We do not have cable nor plan to have it, so I am not concerned about TV Tuners or Cable Cards.

I was planning on probably Windows 7 and WMC to accomplish all of this but wanted thoughts/opinions and maybe some direction on setting up the software side of this.

I have not decided completely on the hardware, but will probably go with an I5 and maybe a 660TI or AMD equivalent. Anyone have an opinion on what is the better route for the video card?

As far as case goes, I am leaning towards the Silverstone Tek GD05B-USB3.0.

I will be tossing two 2tb drives in and maybe a ssd for the boot drive.

As for sound...

All I really need is the ability to send the sound to my Onkyo 7.1 receiver. I assume this can be accomplished via the HDMI from the video card straight into the receiver? (Yes receiver has plenty of HDMI connections, plus USB, and ethernet.)

Do I need a sound card and what would the benefit be?

Thanks in advance for the assistance...

Ahh nevermind on most of these questions. I found AVS forums and answered the vast majority of them. :)

Back