• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Laing D4 (aka. MCP655) Results Summary

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
this pump also draws alot of heat, double amount of MCP600 :eek: can't argue with that since it is more powerful than any previous version, wait for review too especially dual pump in series review

cetoole said:
Cathar: Any idea how the heat dump of the MCP655 compares with the MCP650/600/350?
Have either of you opened it up yet?

MCP655 looks identical internally in every respect to the MCP650, both in the wetted end, and the "motor/stator", with the exception of the different electronics controller and the knob on the back.

If the MCP655 has a significantly different ratio of input power:heat dump to the MCP650, then I'll be one surprised person. I will of course measure it to verify.

I also have an MCP350 here, but have yet to put it through anything more than a cursory "does it work?" test.

At 12.0v, the MCP600 typically drew around 12-13W of power when in a setup, and passed around 70% of its electrical power draw into the water as heat. (eg. ~8-9W heat dump).

At 12.0v, the older MCP600 typically around 18-20W of power when in a setup, and passed around 90% of its electrical power draw into the water as heat. (e.g. ~16-18W heat dump).

At 12.0v, the MCP655 when at full speed (#5 position) typically draws around 24-25W of power when in a setup. Remember, the power-draw numbers that I posted in the first post were at dead-head, which is where pumps draw their least power.

Cathar said:
At 12.0v, the older MCP600 typically around 18-20W of power when in a setup, and passed around 90% of its electrical power draw into the water as heat. (e.g. ~16-18W heat dump).
with such a HIGH % of pass-through, is COOLING the pump worth looking into?

to sum it up, i drilled holes into the pump motor section and cooled the MOSFETS etc that drive the pump. i was able to take 5.9 F out of the heat input. im sure adding a HS to them could help a little more. ;)

PS nice to see you around again Cather (glad your feeling well again ;) )

Well I have been leaktesting my system for close to 24 hours now with this pump. This pump is VERY quiet. I have to put my ear up onto it to even hear the little buzz it makes. When I touch it I can tell its a bit hot. This is my first w/c setup so I cant really compare its heat to any other pump.

is swiftech going to replace the 650 then? if people are getting the new version (655) in just about every case ive seen it seems that they will just phase out the 650.

One good thing you can do, which I've been doing with my pumps all along is to mount them in the exhaust stream of your radiator fan. Mine pulls cool air in from outside the case, and the pump sits in front of its exhaust. Touching the pump, it is cooler than skin temperature, so I'd imagine it's not contributing as much heat to the water as if it were sitting in relatively still air. Something to consider.

Hoot

Is Swiftech going to keep the black casing or paint it blue to keep with thier color theme? Just wondering because my local reseller has it labeled the 655 but show a blue casing on the pics.

wannaoc said:
Is Swiftech going to keep the black casing or paint it blue to keep with thier color theme? Just wondering because my local reseller has it labeled the 655 but show a blue casing on the pics.
Id assume they just havent gotten an updated pic yet.

were you talking about an online store...or a pic on a box?

That was the case indeed.

I picked one up today and can say that this thing is damn near silent. Even with my fans off during leak testing/bleeding I can barely hear it, with the fans on I can't hear it all. I mounted it on it's backside so the inlet faces up using the included neoprene pad and can barely feel any vibrations when touching around the base. At 2" away from the pump I can't feel any at all.

Unless it develops a sound in the future I can say this is the quietest pump I've used to date.

Just might have to pick one of these up, just for the quiter operation. I love my D4 650, I don't mind the noise it makes, but the noise the wife makes concerning the noise the pump makes is irritating.

Anyone know of a UK retailer for this? The best I could find was sidewindercomputers who ship to the UK. But Id rather buy it over here. I emailed them a couple of days ago for a shipping quote but nothing yet.

whitebloodcell said:
Anyone know of a UK retailer for this? The best I could find was sidewindercomputers who ship to the UK. But Id rather buy it over here. I emailed them a couple of days ago for a shipping quote but nothing yet.
It's Memorial Day weekend over here. I seriously doubt anyone was working, I certainly wasn't, so give them at least a day or two to catch up on the backlog.

Voodoo Rufus said:
Bump. Got any PQ curves yet?

Swiftech do at their site now:

MCP655-SM.gif

I saw better head pressure at my end, measured as an actual vertical column to being 4.10mH2O, and checked the voltage supplied as 12.00v with two separate volt-meters.

I'm of the opinion that Laing reports slightly conservative pressure figures to accommodate the +/- 5% per-pump variations that seem to occur with small mass-produced motors.

Back