• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Layout

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yellow X_X

And from one web designer to another, I wouldn't make links shift to the left with padding/border like that.

The search and sort kicks some serious ***. I take it that the all the articles have not been loaded to the new db yet?

The search and sort kicks some serious ***. I take it that the all the articles have not been loaded to the new db yet?

yes, all of them are there. If one was missed for some reason, let me know because I do have the old site backed up

Have to agree with most of the others here: new layout is good, but hate the colors. :shrug:

Maybe just substituting the blue from this forum for the orange? I think that would at least work a bit better.

Someone said in an earlier post that we could change the colors ourselves, but I'm not seeing an option for that on the page anywhere.

splat, I love (almost) every bit of it, even the colours.

As much as I liked the old page/layout, it was OLD. Finding ANYTHING was a serious problem, even finding the heatsink roundup wasn't easy.

The one problem I have with it is the same problem I had with the old one: Usability is pretty bad on a mobile device. I have a HTC P4000 that runs Windows Mobile 6. It drives me crazy that I have to scroll through all of the 'top products' links in one column to get to the content. The OCF forums are incredibly usable on my mobile, the front page is a pain.

Most of all, I wanted to take the opportunity to say thank you for all you hard work, it is very much appreciated. :beer:

*edit* One more thing I could point out, I could see the new front page inspiring a lot more submissions. If you know your article won't get lost and will be searchable for years to come, then that makes the front page a whole lot more viable than it was before, compared to writing a detailed thread and hoping to get it stickied.

Last edited:
splat, I love (almost) every bit of it, even the colours.

As much as I liked the old page/layout, it was OLD. Finding ANYTHING was a serious problem, even finding the heatsink roundup wasn't easy.

The one problem I have with it is the same problem I had with the old one: Usability is pretty bad on a mobile device. I have a HTC P4000 that runs Windows Mobile 6. It drives me crazy that I have to scroll through all of the 'top products' links in one column to get to the content. The OCF forums are incredibly usable on my mobile, the front page is a pain.

Most of all, I wanted to take the opportunity to say thank you for all you hard work, it is very much appreciated. :beer:

*edit* One more thing I could point out, I could see the new front page inspiring a lot more submissions. If you know your article won't get lost and will be searchable for years to come, then that makes the front page a whole lot more viable than it was before, compared to writing a detailed thread and hoping to get it stickied.

thanks man, i appreciate it. I don't have a mobile device to test on, but I think all that would really need to be done is make a CSS file for Mobile Only. I'll look in to it more.

Hey spat. Telling you again man..brilliant work!

Edit# Would it be possible to add comments to the articles like anandtech does?

Hey spat. Telling you again man..brilliant work!

Edit# Would it be possible to add comments to the articles like anandtech does?

thanks.

I'm trying to figure out a way to automatically add the new articles to the "Front Page Discussions" section here on the forum so all discussion is kept here. But its got a few obstacles to hurdle because the forum and overclockers.com aren't as tight knit as they used to be (the forum being owned by iNet and the website being owned by Joe/Ed/Skip)

thanks man, i appreciate it. I don't have a mobile device to test on, but I think all that would really need to be done is make a CSS file for Mobile Only. I'll look in to it more.

Yeah splat, some CSS loving should do the trick.

There are device emulators available. Not sure how these would work with testing webpages in IE Mobile, but I would think it would work.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb278115.aspx

If you need a guinea pig, let me know but I realize that you must have other things on you plate at the moment as well.

Some people like the new look, some people don't. Some may grow to like it, others won't. Me? I don't like it. Will I like it in time, I don't know. It won't stop me from visiting it though. Change is good, but this may have been a little over the top.

Splat, I appreciate your hard work, and I love the new features of the website.

My only complaint is just the colors as I've already said but eventually I'll get use to them. I now see that it was more than just a face lift and there are many new features and nice additions.

Splat, I appreciate your hard work, and I love the new features of the website.

My only complaint is just the colors as I've already said but eventually I'll get use to them. I now see that it was more than just a face lift and there are many new features and nice additions.

thanks. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on colors and layout, and there are always going to be dissenting voices. The main upgrade is the backend which makes changing the layout/colors trivial, as well as other tasks, so don't worry, we hear all of your suggestions/criticisms and we're working on solutions to make Overclockers as good as it can be.

If by "professional" you mean mean generic, it's as professional as could be.

White sucks.

Professional does not mean it has to look like an 80's BBS page...I mean the ghastly flash ads and little gifs all over the place, hard to navigate, no search...if that is not crap then I don't know what is...

Compare with the new site. Apart from minor asthetic issues, you have the latest news and updates pertaining to the forums, good search function, nice layout...

Back