• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Linpack Stress Test Released

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Regeneration

Screenshot.jpg

Linpack Xtreme is a console front-end with the latest build of Linpack (Intel Math Kernel Library Benchmarks 2018.3.011). Linpack is a benchmark and the most aggressive stress testing software available today. Best used to test stability of overclocked PCs. Linpack tends to crash unstable PCs in a shorter period of time compared to other stress testing applications.

Linpack solves a dense (real*8) system of linear equations (Ax=b), measures the amount of time it takes to factor and solve the system, converts that time into a performance rate, and tests the results for accuracy. The generalization is in the number of equations (N) it can solve, which is not limited to 1000. Linpack uses partial pivoting to assure the accuracy of the results.

Linpack Xtreme was created because Prime95 is no longer effective like it used to be. LinX, IntelBurnTest, OCCT use outdated Linpack binaries from 2012. Modern hardware requires modern stress testing methodology with support for the latest instructions sets.

Linpack Xtreme is available for Windows, Linux, and as a bootable media. The bootable version is considered to be the most superior as the Linux SMP kernel is a lot more sensitive to hardware instabilities than Microsoft Windows. Watch this video for a short comparison of Prime95 vs. Linpack Xtreme.

Make sure to keep an eye on the temperatures as Linpack generates excessive amount of stress like never seen before.

Changes (v1.1.4):
* Fixed a crash on AMD Ryzen processors.
* Updated CPUID HWMonitor to version 1.43.

Downloads:
Linpack Xtreme for Windows | Mirror #1 | Mirror #2
Linpack Xtreme for Linux | Mirror #1 | Mirror #2
Linpack Xtreme Bootable Media

Last edited:
I have no need to fry my processor with AVX induced heat. Standard procedure for stress testing is to reduce off turn off AVX instruction sets for just that reason.

That is there for a reason. Those who shy away from it better hope they do not run into anything which uses AVX.... which is more than one would think. Just use the offset if it gets your knickers rolled tight. ;)

My swamp cooler is dying and my landlord sucks, so I avoid AVX stress tests. While various softwares dabble in AVX, at some point all I'm testing is my AIO with AVX enabled, and I'm already aware of its limitations.

My swamp cooler is dying and my landlord sucks, so I avoid AVX stress tests. While various softwares dabble in AVX, at some point all I'm testing is my AIO with AVX enabled, and I'm already aware of its limitations.

You can get a portable/window AC cheap those days... doesn't require the landlord's approval.

Unfortunately a window A/C would require modding a window frame and does need landlord approval here. It'a a dwelling built on a trailer frame by people with little to no regard for anything but collecting rent. I have looked at A/C units on Amazon and been tempted to just be an *** about it. LOL I'll check again and see if prices have come down any since it's kind of late in the year for selling air conditioners in most places.

Ah, the rental woes. Taco knows. Since '99 been in 11 rentals up until a year ago. It's tough, Alaric. Recently bought "this old House" and slowly fixing it. And I'm the boss!!:clap:

With version 0.9.3, AMD Ryzen users can now bake their CPUs like never before. Thanks to .vodka from AnandTech forums for beta testing.

I am using your unpack at the moment to test stability. I am wondering about bootable version, how do you keep track of temps? Does it show how hot she runs or stops if you are too hot? Currently only using Windows tool to run stress test, so I can see my temps.

I am using your unpack at the moment to test stability. I am wondering about bootable version, how do you keep track of temps? Does it show how hot she runs or stops if you are too hot? Currently only using Windows tool to run stress test, so I can see my temps.
You will probably get better answers from the OP but... Most Linux distros have a package called lm-sensors in their repository. I'm not sure but I think it is already installed here. Run "sensors-detect" from a terminal and you will get an error if lm-sensors is not installed. If it isn't you can install (but will have to reinstall every reboot because I don't think this image has persistence).

Honestly though, I test my cpu from Windows even on rigs installed with Linux because hwmonitor is IMO much easier to read than lm-sensors. Definitely use this image for testing RAM though. Absolutely awesome for that task

There is a shortcut on the desktop for reading temp sensors and temp monitor in the systray.

Back