• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Member Hello

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Would it be better to get a combination of a 960 and an SSD, or just a 970?

Didn't know a Gtx 970 was even on the table. That's not really a decision I can make for you, if every last Fps is more important to you then get a GTX 970. If you're willing to turn down some of the eye candy then get the GTX 960 and a SSD. If you do get a SSD get a good one such as a Samsung 850 Evo. If it were my rig, my choice would be the GTX 960 and a SSD.

Would it be better to get a combination of a 960 and an SSD, or just a 970?

I would say that is gonna depend on your usage habits.

Upgrading to the GTX 960 and an ssd will give you a snappier overall system with quick load times. Game play will be an improvement over what you currently use but you will not be able to max out graphics settings.

Upgrading to just the GTX970 will improve your graphics in games even more but will not help your system much otherwise.

If you purely just game and don't mind the load times I say go for a gtx970(pending you can find one your power supply will support)

If you are a more moderate gamer and use your system for other things as well go for the gtx960 and sad combo as it will give you an overall better day to day experience.

Update:
Ninjaed by Manny, guess I shouldn't be so long winded next time.

Last edited:
The reason I ask between 960+SSD and 970 is because the cost of a 960+SSD would be close to the same as a 970 on it's own, ~$500 CAD.

It's not really a decision we can make for you. My opinion as I posted is get the 960 and a SSD but that's me. With the 960 at 1080p resolutions if you don't mind turning some of the eye candy down you shouldn't have any issue running modern games. If you really don't care about the Pc being a bit slower with a HD then go for a Gtx 970.

Back