• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Member Welcome Mat !

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Joining the OC world

Hi, I bought a new PC and I wanted to share with you so you can suggest me stable overclocking settings and anything a newbie should know. (Everybody on this forum started as a newbie unless your name is Chuck Noris)

There is my config:

MB: Asus P8Z68 Deluxe
CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k 3.40Ghz (Using asus program I think I managed to get 4430.5Mhz)
GPU: Evga GTX580 SC 1536Mb (OC using EVGA precision software at Core Clock: 850 Shader Clock: 1700 Memory Clock: 2090)
Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws X 2x4Gb DDR3-2133 F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL CL11-11-11-30 1.5V) Not sure how to overclock it in Asus bios Hoping someone knows here ;)

That's it! I'm trying to get a stable and powerful overclock of my component. I install the Hyper 212 Coolermaster but I didn't changed the video card and I dont have a fans for my Ram.

Thanks!

Hi guys just thought I'd join today due to a reccomendation from a friend, hoping I'll find a lot of good tips to how I can build up my computer! Only just got myself a job so I can start affording some new parts come pay day, I'm a huge noob when it comes to computing performance and hardware/software and really want to learn more due to me starting my next College course in I.T (finished a 1 year standard I.T course already, the next is a 2 year course for advancement and I'm looking at uni after.). Help will be greatly appreciated when I eventually post. :)

Thought I'd stop by and say hello on my new built machine. First time building a machine from scratch, using how-to books back from the days of Win2k. I was kinda forced into it since I received a FREE AMD Phenom II x4-925 and ATi Radeon HD-5830 at a HP Live Training Event in Tempe, AZ.

So little about myself, I work for a Office Supply chain in Tempe, AZ doing graphic design for our print center hub untill Im out of college. I dont think of myself as a gamer since my xbox gets used maybe once every other month, but I just got Portal2 yeasterday to see how the rig works out. Im just chill easy going, and here to ask those noobish questions to the dear "search" button.

My Rig:
AMD Phenom II x4-925 @2800MHz(new heatsink and fan are next to upgrade)
msi 870A-G54 Mainboard
ATi Radeon HD-5830 1GB Graphic Card
Patriot Sector 5 8GB(4x2GB)DDR3 1333MHz
Antec 500W Basiq PSU(also on the next to upgrade list, NewEgg says I need around 650W, Im thinking maybe a bit more)
Antec Sonata Proto Mid Tower Case
OEM Windows 7 Home

So far it works great, except for the case rear fan, and the loud AMD stock fan. Otherwise it has ran Portal2 at almost full power flawlessly. The graphics looks amazing on my Samsung 46".

I also have a 13" Apple MBP i7 Dual Core, with 8GB RAM.

Look forward to surfing the forums.

Fellow Clockers!
Hi. I just joined up after finding you guys, doing some internet research (on AM3+). Glad I found you.

I'm getting a new system. At the time, I remember (just the other day) getting a little peaved that google's search functionality collapses the "+" appended to AM3 (so finding lots of AM3 stuff, too). Now, seems miniscule in comparison to the "new" google that reared it's ugly head-- now it disentigrates quotes too! (no more eliminating millions of search-hits by double-quoting the exact wording you're searching for!)...super-bummer!! Time's sure change.

Last time I bought a system was a Gateway, like 10 years ago, almost to the day. I'm logged-on with this same system right now. I got it for a little less than $1000 (when Gateway had shops around, still). I only received 256M ram; but, it had this AMD Athlon 750/Select upgraded to the Athlon 850/Select (Gateway [System Model "8DT-084_"]). It took a new board and everything (but the CD drive [that died later]). I popped in another memory module to get 392M. I'm still surfing--my main box, still (that Slot A architecture has served me well). Now, though, I frequently dive below 70M free (sometimes down below 12M). It's time.

The old Athlon 850/Select reliability (and no FDIV problems] steered me toward getting another AMD.

I'm an 'ol timer (you can tell, by now) . My first comp job was on an IBM 360, with a green-screen (monster) monitor...no gaming then, except: you could play (Mine-field, for example), by having printouts between turns: the computer would take a turn, print out a hard-copy of the battle-ship like grid, you would take a turn, then another page would print--in black and white (or black, and green-and-white), etc...(turn, print-out, turn, print-out...). On the rare occasion the mainframe (370/XA, by then) would need a part, I would see a guy stop down to the computing center with a suit on.... take, like 3 suit-cases full of IBM punch-cards out to load the operating system. But, I was going to school, too--Computer Programming Technology (you whipper-snappers call it I.T., now); and, I didn't feel I had time for games...there was too much to fathom and learn (and homework)....So, I'm not mainstream, like you gamers. I would rather spend time developing. But, we share the common goal of demaning computing power in a system. For me and video processing, I'd just like to just be able to watch blu-ray HD movies without associated problems (screen-flicker, or play-back hesitation, perhaps [I don't know]).

Any way, I ordered this system with a blu-ray drive (AMD Quad-Core A8-3850 Accelerated Processor/ 16GB / Radeon HD 6550D onboard)--a 12X Blu-ray Rewritable Drive. It supposedly writes DVDs, as well as CDs

But, I'm not sure about backing-up with a blu-ray drive. Is there anybody out there that knows if Windows 7 will back-up on them, or if there's a back-up utility that will work to back-up data? I'm not sure if the thing can work with Nero or not. It will burn CDs, though, supposedly. I know XP fails at a back-up, most of the time (I've only got it to complete, successfully, once).

Who can enlighten me with the blu-rays? I think it's an LG.

Thanks, all. Glad you're out there, as fast as technology advances (whipper-snappers! ) !

Sincerely,
CaptainMpirical

I guess it's a little late for me to be posting here since I've got almost 50 posts... But eh well.

Years ago I was pretty heavy into tinkering with computers, built my first homebuilt from the ground up system back in the old P2 days, back when they looked almost like an overgrown stick of RAM.

Done a couple of builds since then, but for the most part life has kept me from really getting back into tinkering with stuff.

I've recently decided though that a new hobby was in order, and this is what I've chosen to come back to.

I've got a build thread going in the General Hardware section if you guys want to stop in and check it out...

Look forward to being around and learning some stuff, and hopefully once I get caught up with all the new tech I'll even be able to contribute!

-David

Hi guys, have been looking around here for a while, and registered on this forum.
Nice how-to`s and technical information aswell.
Getting my new rig these days.
Old rig got sick and tired of BSOD, camped with the problem for approximately 1,5 years.

So nice excuse for new system:)

Nathan

Hi, I bought a new PC and I wanted to share with you so you can suggest me stable overclocking settings and anything a newbie should know. (Everybody on this forum started as a newbie unless your name is Chuck Noris)

There is my config:

MB: Asus P8Z68 Deluxe
CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k 3.40Ghz (Using asus program I think I managed to get 4430.5Mhz)
GPU: Evga GTX580 SC 1536Mb (OC using EVGA precision software at Core Clock: 850 Shader Clock: 1700 Memory Clock: 2090)
Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws X 2x4Gb DDR3-2133 F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL CL11-11-11-30 1.5V) Not sure how to overclock it in Asus bios Hoping someone knows here ;)

That's it! I'm trying to get a stable and powerful overclock of my component. I install the Hyper 212 Coolermaster but I didn't changed the video card and I dont have a fans for my Ram.

Thanks!

Hi guys just thought I'd join today due to a reccomendation from a friend, hoping I'll find a lot of good tips to how I can build up my computer! Only just got myself a job so I can start affording some new parts come pay day, I'm a huge noob when it comes to computing performance and hardware/software and really want to learn more due to me starting my next College course in I.T (finished a 1 year standard I.T course already, the next is a 2 year course for advancement and I'm looking at uni after.). Help will be greatly appreciated when I eventually post. :)

hi everyone! :)
i`ve been reading this forum 3 months ago and i decided to join now..:D
i`m still newbie and i hope everyone can help me :D

WELCOME stanza_nate :welcome: .
Yes,guess some had to learn that way as you said.

Me ? Was building them back in the late 80s to early 90s.
I'd pick brains with the independent techs.
I also went to school for a year.It was "Computerized Equipment Repair".
That was supposed to be the "entry level" for technicians.
Plus, on the old,err, ancient XT's,it was either 8.44 or 8.77 MHZ....That was blazing speed back then.
Memory ? My credit card took the hit of some $200.00,to expand from 512KB to 640KB.
Seen an ad in one local puter paper; 120MHZ selling for over $1,700.00-about
1990.Bay Area;San Jose,Union City,Santa Clara....
Puters sure has greatly advanced.No setting of IRQ's....PIB.

Can play with them in all price ranges now.
I'm really gettin the itch to build a few.
Gotta wait for the gummit on my backpay.
Learnin a lot from these guys/gals on here.
Whatever question you have,ask away.
You enjoy that puter that you've built !:attn:

:welcome: aboard to all you guys. :salute:

Hey hey,

Well not my first post but i'm sure i still count as a noobie, while trawling the net looking for oc'ing tips i found this site most of the time, so i joined and haven't looked back since...

My PC:

MSI x58 Pro-e
i7 950 (currently at 3.6 ghz)
hyper 212+
6gig kingsmax ddr3 1333
MSI GTX 460 cyclone(also oc'd)
320gb western digital hdd
GMC H-80 case

its all i could afford at the time, so my mission now is to squeeze every tiny bit out of it that i can :D

Last edited:
Hey folks! Been meaning to make an account here, and finally I am. Have been spending a lot of time on the computer forums over on mmo-champion.com and wanted to get even more computer discussion! I've read several threads on this site over the past year and you guys have some very knowledgeable folk!

First build I built and I'm currently folding on (life has taken a turn for the busy, culinary school and a new job, so no gaming really atm) is as follows:

CPU: [email protected] 1.35v. (I know that's kinda high.) Been using an -smp client of F@H for the past 56~ hours running at max load and I can say, it's stable as all hell. ^_^ It lasted 3 hours in Prime95 before BSODing, I slightly upped the voltage, but did not rerun the test, the folding has been going flawlessly. :)
CPU heatsink: Zalman CNPS 9900A
RAM: 8GB (4GBx2) Corsair XMS3 1600MHz + 8GB (4GBx2) Kingston Hyper-X1600MHz = 16GB total RAM
Motherboard: Asus P8P67
GPU: MSI Twin Frozr II GTX 560 Ti@900/1800
SSD: Crucial m4 128GB SATA III
HDD: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Barracuda and W.D. 600GB Caviar Blue 7200RPM
Cooler Master HAF X with media card reader, NZXT Sentry 2 LED fan controller, and some CD/DVD drive.

Peripherals:
Monitor: Gateway 22" 1680x1050 2000:1 Ultra Contrast (using HDMI input) planning to replace.
Speakers: Logitech THX $150ish computer set, plan to replace.
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 1800 dpi
Keyboard: Logitech G15 (orange version)

So, where do we post pictures/overclock benches? :p

Soon future purchases:
One of the Asus Xonar series sound cards, still on the fence. =S

:welcome: Deltrus
Post pics of your bench station in the Case and case moding section Here.

Also Seen as your already folding away, pop over to our team section and join in if you don't already have a team. We can always use new folders =]

Hey Guys,

Just built my first rig a couple weeks back and joined the forums to iron out a few little issues.

Specs:
MB: Asus Sabertooth P67B3
CPU: i7 2600k
GPU: SLI Gainward Phantom 3 GTX 570's
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHZ
SSD: 120GB Corsair Force 3
HDD: 1TB Samsung (perhaps another in RAID0 one day)
PSU: Corsair TX850
Case: Corsair 600T
Cooling: CPU: Corsair A70 Case: 3x Coolermaster 120mm sickleflows red and 1x Coolermaster 200mm megaflow red
Optical Drive: Samsung Blu-Ray player

296788_10150273051114779_581674778_7709955_8195207_n.jpg

Peripherals:
Mouse: Cyborg RAT.9
Surface: Cyborg V.1 (really want a V.5 but can't find in the UK)
Keyboard: Alienware TactX
Gamepad: Microsoft Xbox 360 wireless controller for windows
Centre Monitor: Panasonic 32" E30 LEDTV
Side Monitors: 2x Alienware 22" AW2210
Sound: Panasonic 1000watt Home Cinema
Possibly a graphics tablet of some sort in the near future.

301480_10150283609589779_581674778_7810298_366814_n.jpg

I am using it for designing and modelling at university, as I am an Architecture student and I guess if I have any free time I might play a game or something like that =0

Joe

Back