• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New mobo for x6 1100T

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dandaman

Registered
Hey there

Currently got an Asus M4A79XTD Evo motherboard and its been a great runner but theres only one problem with it.....

The pins for the power switch and so on are at the bottom left of the mobo rather than the standard bottom right which means its a stretch to get the cables across and its even more of a stretch with a gfx card installed

I've currently got an H770 in there and the wires JUST make it there and no more tbh. I'm about to go through phases of upgrading my computer with new case and so on so I will eventually be looking to get a new gfx card and possible CF setup in the next coming months so I reckon im better off getting a new mobo to save any future headaches

What sort of mobo would you guys recommend for the x6 1100T (may be overclocking in the future so bear that in mind) to do some Gaming, Graphics work like 3DsMax and some music creation now and then

Im setting the budget to £100 BUT I may go over it if need be

You can also get a power connector extender cable from ebay for a few bucks to make that cable longer.

I think you misread what I wrote as many seem to do lol, they think I mean the 4 pin connector but I mean the front panel power switch , led and HDD activity light cables. Cant seem to find them anywhere and i've spent hours googling and whatnot :(

A little stranded bell wire about 12 inches of 1/8 heat shrink tubing and my mini-soldering iron and job done. I read the front panel connectors accurately.

You are going to have to look at some motherboard pics and narrow the choices down by the front panel location on the boards.

I dont really know if I would be capable of making my own tbh , would be scared incase I really screwed it up if thats even possible ?

Its just a pain because its way bottom left so as you could iamgine it has to stretch all the way

A lot of the nweer gigabyte boards actually have the pins and the sata ports in a much more use friendly spot so I may venture into that brand

I had a look at the more expensive Asus CROSSHAIR IV FORMULA 890FX board. I will be getting my new case and cpu cooler hopefully this weekend and I wont be changing board or gfx card for a little while so i dont mind adding that extra £50 if its going to be worth it and it gives me some time to look around I guess. after a short time of googling the board and reading reviews all I can see is good stuff

Whats your thoughts on the Asus CROSSHAIR IV FORMULA 890FX in terms of performance and so on ?

I'll be using this for browsing/gaming (my original idea was to crossfire 6950's but that may or may not happen) and some 3d graphics work.

The "new" case you intend to buy, may well have longer wires going out to the front of the case. That would fix the whole deal it seems.

By the way, if you add a six inch splice into the start/reset front case wires, one wire at a time...it should be fairly easy.

But if you are going with new case...well I would wait and see how long those connecting wires are since they will be a part of the newer case.

Yip thats what im gunna do, will fit everything together and see how the wires are in the new case, I hope they are long enough :D

Thanks for the help, I may end up extending the wires myself if need be

I just found that place too! lol it may be costly for shipping to the uk (im in scotland) but however it'll still be cheaper than replacing board. Would my current board be capable of being used in a proper gaming rig? I've googled that before and found a few folk running the setup i would like ot have, this board with crossfire 6950's.

Really glad I can get some extension cables now, just gunna have to wait a bit for shipping but it'll be worth it. Will order them later in the week

Wish putting location in user profile was required. Help us all when looking for stuff for others.

No I doubt that Frozen Cpu will ship to Euro country and I doubt the cost would be worthwhile. Sorry, I did not know you lived across the pond.

EDIT >> Well I will just be dipped: Do you ship to my country?
We ship to the following 125 countries: END EDIT.

Wish putting location in user profile was required. Help us all when looking for stuff for others. END EDIT.

I agree about requiring that in the user profile but in this case "UK" was below his avatar all along.

Dandaman, I have no doubt that you could do a little wire splicing to extend your front panel wire harnesses. If you built your own computer you should be able to do this. Piece of cake. This forum community is all about improvision. People who are helpless buy their computers from one of the big box stores. You can do it!

Last edited:
I have updated my profile now and I must appologise again for not having it there, very silly of me

I found a store near me that sells them and they are only £2 per 12inch extension

I would do this myself but really wouldn't want to ruin anything even tho I know im probably very capable of doing the task myself

CPU: AMD Phenom II x6 1100 T 3.3Ghz
Motherboard: Asus M4A79XTD Evo
Memory: G-Skill RipJaws 4 x 2GB + Kingston Hyperx Memory Cooler
HDD: 3 x 1tb Samsung Spinpoint F1
Video Card: HIS 5770 + Arctic Cooling Accelero L2 Cooler
Case: Antec 902
Power Supply: Corsair 850w Modular
CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9500

Nice signature and setup there.

That is not too bad a price for the extenders local. Luck man.

Thank you, im doing some upgrades in the next few weeks, new case, cpu cooler and gfx card! was gunna go for a 6950 or possibly 2x 6950 cos its not too often I change my gfx cards so want something that will last a bit and if I go down that route its probably the only way I'll change my mobo now since I found these extensions =D

Back