• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New mobo need for am3 build with old parts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Enrich

Hi guys, I been looking into a major upgrade over time. I have an 2.9 roger laying around and I have my 4x1gb ddr2 800 OCZ gold memory in my current build along with my 9800gt. I was planning on getting a board that will support am3 and ddr2 but also support ddr3 memory later on as well as the ability to unlock cores. After I get the board I wanted to get the top of the line x2 BE 3.1 Castillo and attempt to unlock 2 cores and oc that sucker.

What would you recommend?

They don't make a board that will support both DDR2 and DDR3. As far as the CPU goes, AM3 is downwardly compatible with AM2+ (i.e. it will work on a socket AM2+ board) but the same is not true with regard to ram. It will either be a AM3_DDR3 board or an AM3/AM2+_DDR2 board. Am I making sense?

Yeah, you can buy a board that will still work with your DDR2 or you can make the jump, spend an extra $100 and go AM3. You could probably find a decent Open Box deal on an AM3 board and then pair that with some DDR3 for $150 to $160 bucks.

I was trying to do the same but like stated above it was worth it to upgrade to a ddr3 board since the cost was so close. Your other option is to check the classifieds, maybe you will find what you want there used and cheap. It will still be outdated though.

Back