• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New, need help on overclocking.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sorry about the trial and not showing the Vcore, I'll fix that.

So I guess I got to upgrade my cooler. The H100 seems to look decent. Is that the best I could get in it's price range. If I was willing to spend a little more what would you suggest?

Thanks again.

If you want a better water cooling system than the H100 you would have to build a custom loop. Probably cost you about twice what you'd pay for the H100 to do that. Maybe someone else knows of a better preassembled, all in one water kit but I'm thinking the H100 is about at that top rung in that category.

Hey guys I'm back.

So I've just upgraded a few things including a H100i so now I'm ready to try again.

I went past my previous OC which took me to 71 degrees and these are the results i got.

I ran P95 for 30 minutes. The temps seem a little high for the oc to me, am I wrong though? are the temps what should be expected? Is there anything I can do to push it some more, maybe to 4.6 and lower the temps?

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• HWmonitor.JPG
    HWmonitor.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 15
  • CPU.JPG
    CPU.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Memory.JPG
    Memory.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 15
  • SPD.JPG
    SPD.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 15
I would run prime for at least 2 hours to see if it's stable at your current OC before you try pushing it further.

Ok I'll run prime for longer tomorrow. But what about temps? They seem a little high to me or are they not? Is there anything I can do to keep the same OC but lower the temps?

Thanks.

Yeah, those temps do seem a little high to me considering the cooler. Tell us how you have the H100 radiator and fans placed and oriented with regard to push pull and total case air flow. Is the radiator on the inside or the outside of the case. A digital pic of the inside of hour case would be nice.

Trents, The h100i radiator is mounted inside the case on the top. I have the fans pushing the air from inside the case out and the top fan on the case is pulling in the same direction upward. I will post a couple pictures tonight when I'm free. Thanks again for the help.

I was reading around and quite a few people on other websites/forums had some suggestions about the same CPU and some of those were increasing other voltages.

I increased
VDDA v - 2.525 and
Dram to 1.55

I believe that's all I changed but I'll have a look when I get home and also take pics so you can see the setup. Are these voltage changes possibly the cause of the heat and not a good idea?

Thanks.

Are you experiencing high ambient temps in the environment where the PC lives. Sometimes we help guys who live in the hot places of the world or who live in small hot apartments with the PC in a place where it can't breathe who experience temps higher than we expect with a given cooler.

We live in a pretty coldish part of the world - Vermont in the USA but we do live in an apartment. We have a four month old baby and have to keep it warm for him so the temp of the room the PC is in is usually around 65-70 Fahrenheit.

The PC itself is on top of my desk and has plenty of room to breathe.

I'll go take a few pictures so you can see the inside of the case etc.

Here are a couple of not very good but clear enough photos to show the setup I have.

Attachments

• PC.JPG
    PC.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 8
  • PC2.JPG
    PC2.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 7
The core temp isn't as concerning as the socket temp of 64. I'm not sure how much the the VDDA bump will increase the temps, though you are correct about raising it. It seems as if these FX chips like to have the VDDA raised for stability. I find that on mine in order to reach the higher OC's I need to give it a few bumps up. I'll look at my settings to see exactly, I'm on my laptop right now.

Now I'm assuming the fans in the front panel and the rear panel work together with the top fans to produce an overall case air flow that is moving air from front down low to back and top high. Is that correct?

Do you have a side fan?

One thing that often happens with water cooled systems is you still get high socket/VRM area temps because the turbulence typically created by an air cooler is not there. One very common suggestion you will encounter in that regard that typically helps significantly with socket temps is to position a spot fan to blow directly on the components covered by the heatsinks between the waterblock and the I/O stuff at the back edge of the board.

Thanks for the replies. What is your 8350 running at Mandrake?

Trents, The front fan pulls air in and the top fan blows out and the psu blows out the back aswell as the top rear fan and the two graphics cards. I do have a side fan it's a 200mm and it sucks air in towards the video cards.

How would I go about putting in a spot fan to blow where you suggested? Would it require case modding or something??

I just ran P95 again for just under 2 hours and no cores failed. The highest temp i got was 63 on the cpu and 51 on the package.

Thanks again for all the help!

Nevermind about the spot fan. I just looked them up and I see how it would work :)

I buy 50mm spot fans and stick them on the heatsinks with a piece of double-sided sticky adhesive strip on the fan housing center. They are very light and the adhesive seems to hold them on very well. I usually connect two together with a "Y" cable and power them off a nearby motherboard header.

I wonder if reversing air flow would help. That would cause a downdraft that might cool the socket area a little better, right? Plus air coming in from the back might help cool it as well?

Back