• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new NFS Shift news! (drifting)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rich'[ard]

was browsing on gamespot.com like 5 minutes ago and came across a new video talking about the drifting in the new NFS title: NFS Shift.

http://au.gamespot.com/sports/blogs...in-need-for-speed-shift.html?tag=blog;title;3

looks so good!
i'm really doubting the game will be this good...cos i don't wanna get all pumped up then get disappointed when i actually play the game.
but HONESTLY, this game is looking fine!

more news one NFS Shift as well:
http://au.gamespot.com/ps3/driving/...=convert&om_clk=previews&tag=previews;title;1

enjoy :beer:

EDIT: a new physics engine is goign to be used! YESSS!!! no more dodgy car physics from Prostreet and Undercover (hopefully). don't expect anything like Forza of GT. i just want something normal!
i really really don't want to be let down by another NFS title. when Prostreet trailers and screenshots were released, it looked to be a very good game...but then everything changed when the game was released. better not happen this time.

Last edited:
WTF is it with all these new arcade racing games and drifting? Is Driving in straight lines at 200mph and hugging the corners just too boring for the next generation?

Yes, stunt driving is cool....but when it's done the ENTIRE race it looks more like a joke than anything. "Look I can make the back end of my car drag" vs "stategic classical racing".

When I saw the screen shots I thought this game was gonna be soo good too. But I asked my cousin, he test played it. And he said it was pretty disappointing. The inside of the cars look fantastic yet the outside is nothing special and pretty dull. As for the actual game mechanics is somewhat lacking. He didn't care for it. I'm sure its not that bad of a title, but Its nothing amazing. But then again, alot could change from test to release. So we will have to wait and see, but im not gonna get my hopes up but I expect it to be a decent game.

When I saw the screen shots I thought this game was gonna be soo good too. But I asked my cousin, he test played it. And he said it was pretty disappointing. The inside of the cars look fantastic yet the outside is nothing special and pretty dull. As for the actual game mechanics is somewhat lacking. He didn't care for it. I'm sure its not that bad of a title, but Its nothing amazing. But then again, alot could change from test to release. So we will have to wait and see, but im not gonna get my hopes up but I expect it to be a decent game.
yeahh, i don't wanan give my hope ups, but i don't wanna get too excited either, incase the game turns out to be total trash.

Blitz Puppet, what's wrong with drifting? :santa:
i love it lol. what i wanna see is a game implement drifting where you are battling someone. like a twin drift. you can't hit them, but you have to follow their moves etc. that would be cool.

right now i just wanna know what the driving physics/model is like. i'll be very happy if it's something like GRID. previous NFS games hvaen't done it right. the car jerks everywhere and doesn't turn right.

video on the actual gameplay of Shift.
looks pretty good to me!
can't wait for it...

one thing i love about the new game, that they talked about, is that you can now customise the interior of the cars, for example strip out plastics, navigation systems...you can turn a stock car into a track car. i like that... ;)

the gameplay looks reall fast though. kinda like grid.

waht you think?

It looks like a better version of ProStreet. Personally, im not a big fan of the ****-pit view so I would've liked the regular behind the car camera view. But I think theres a video floating around with that view as well, and I wasn't impressed even then.

Also, is it just me or there are major frame rate lags in that video?

It looks like a better version of ProStreet. Personally, im not a big fan of the ****-pit view so I would've liked the regular behind the car camera view. But I think theres a video floating around with that view as well, and I wasn't impressed even then.

Also, is it just me or there are major frame rate lags in that video?
yeah it was a bit jumpy. i bet they was filmed live off a console. it was E3 so...unless they have PCs there? :shrug:

the graphics weren't that sharp in that video either. hopefully that WAS a console being played and the PC game will have better graphics.
i love the cockpit view! except i get kinda screwed by it..i'm learning to drive atm and it kinda has this strange effect on me.
last time when i played GRID in cockpit view for a whole week, i went for a drive in RL and i was steering funny lol.

i like the new blur effect when you hit something. but did you see cars flip when they were hit? cars don't flip that easily do they...and the crash physics didn't look the best either.
the rear bumper camera is gonna lose all the cool new features of the game, like blurr, suspension effects, interior effects...etc.

great, what i gather from that video is that they are doing the physics on some guys feelings....well i guess this IS ea we are talking about still huh?

wasnt buying it any way

great, what i gather from that video is that they are doing the physics on some guys feelings....well i guess this IS ea we are talking about still huh?

wasnt buying it any way
lol. even though they call this game a sim..it's still very arcadish to me. it looks as good as GRID though, but with my customisation.
it can't be that bad then :)
i don't think it'll be getting any 9/10 ratings on game review sites though...unfortunately. maybe still a 7 or 8

lol. even though they call this game a sim..it's still very arcadish to me. it looks as good as GRID though, but with my customisation.
it can't be that bad then :)
i don't think it'll be getting any 9/10 ratings on game review sites though...unfortunately. maybe still a 7 or 8

Had to bump this after reading the reviews! It did get a 9.0/10.0!

http://pc.ign.com/objects/143/14319192.html

The user reviews seem mixed and most of them seem like they're based on the console versions, so I'm going to have to try this game myself!

I am so sick of track racing games. I want more Most Wanted/Undercover style of racing games.

I am not going to get behind the wheel of a real car and try and outrun cops.

Less ricers, more racers :)

Blitz Puppet, what's wrong with drifting? :santa:
i love it lol. what i wanna see is a game implement drifting where you are battling someone. like a twin drift. you can't hit them, but you have to follow their moves etc. that would be cool.

If you've got a PS2 or a backwards compatible PS3, get D1 Grand Prix. It's very difficult, but also one of tho most rewarding and realistic drift games I've ever played.

Reviews for Shift have been good, I just wish that they would release a demo.

Had to bump this after reading the reviews! It did get a 9.0/10.0!

http://pc.ign.com/objects/143/14319192.html

The user reviews seem mixed and most of them seem like they're based on the console versions, so I'm going to have to try this game myself!
WHAT?! whoa lol.
i didn't have the confidence in NFS getting above 8/10.

i am getting this game for sure then. after undercover (which only got about 7/10) and Prostreet which only got about 6/10, i really dind't think NFS could pull it off.

EDIT: 1 question...how did htey pull off a 9/10 when most of the user comments are like "i want my money back"..."2/10"...lol. strange..

video review

Last edited:
I played this last night for about an hour, and I really like it! In-car view is awesome! Good sense of speed, and you can really 'feel' it when you brake hard, hit someone, or wreck.

I started out w/ a lot of the assists on, but I'm going to start turning them off. I had to play w/ a 360 controller b/c I can't find the power adapter for my wheel :bang head. I can tell the wheel will make the game a lot better. Precision controls is key.

It's hard to pick this or wait for Forza 3. Anyone have their own review on Shift vs. Forza 2?

I've kinda reached a point where I don't hold my breath for NFS titles anymore. The last couple of titles of the series haven't been worth a poo. Storylines are bogus and the gameplay isnt to much better. If they worked on perfecting one type of racing instead of a different type every year, that would make the series alot better imo

Back