• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new NFS Shift news! (drifting)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So I've been messing with the settings a little in the demo, and have gotten the driving feel a little better. Still can't use the gated shifter yet though. Anyone with G25 want to tell me to buy this game?

hmm...i've been started playing.
guys is it just me, or is the steering really really strange :shrug:
i tap my controller's joystick and i start drifting. if you go left right continuosly is starts fishtailing and i can't turn properly.

i haven't fiddled with the sensitivity settings yet but it just seems a bit weird. everything else is mighty fine though ;)

EDIT:

now THIS is what NFS should be like.
Untitled4-Copy.jpg

Untitled1-Copy.jpg

sorry for the dodgy edges...my e6400+4850 can't handle AA :(
i dare say NFS Shift's car models are as accurate as Forza 2 and GT5...from what i've seen anyway.

Last edited:
I have so many games I need to get. Let's see Dirt 2, this, Forza 3. And not to mention all of the non racing games. Hmm...............

i know yeah.
next 2 games on my to-get list is Dirt 2 and Cod 6.

Any game with that many sequals is obviously not doing it right (TM). CoD 6? Seriously. It's EA madness all over again, except it's not just sports games anymore.

After seeing the physics on nfs shift I'm not interested at all. Right now I'm playing Forza 2 on 360 haven't had too much time into it to say if I like it or not... and DIRT on PC as far as racing games go.

Somebody asked me how I can knock it before I try it... it's NFS. Nuff 'said.

I'll save my money for Mass Effect 2, Assassin's Creed 2, and Aliens: Calonial Marines, the real 4 player co-op horror shooter. :)

Well I've been trying to play the demo, and it just doesn't feel right to me. Like I was saying I can't get the wheel to work properly. I think I'll be sticking with Live For Speed until I hear anything solid about the G25 with the full version.

Any game with that many sequals is obviously not doing it right (TM). CoD 6? Seriously.

It isn't EA madness, it is Activision jumping on the bandwagon. Keep in mind that the "real" COD games are released every other year by InfinityWard. The ones released by Treyarch are just filler IMO. They aren't bad games really, just not at the level of IW.

I have the full version, and I see in the control options selections for

G25 combined pedals
G25 separate pedals

Inside there are button assignments for gear up/down, as well as each individual gear.

This doesn't work for you?

hmm...i've been started playing.
guys is it just me, or is the steering really really strange :shrug:
i tap my controller's joystick and i start drifting. if you go left right continuosly is starts fishtailing and i can't turn properly.

i haven't fiddled with the sensitivity settings yet but it just seems a bit weird. everything else is mighty fine though ;)

I've been using my 360 controller, and if you race w/ the cockpit view (which really makes this game) you'll notice how the steering wheel moves when you tap the joystick. The wheel turns very fast if you flick the analog joystick. You have to deliberately move the joystick, and never move it quickly. You want to make sure the wheel you see on the screen moves smoothly. If you move the joystick all the way left or right the wheel goes to full lock very fast.

Imagine driving down the road at 100mph and then jerking the wheel on your car to full lock in either direction. What would happen?

I went back and played some GRID w/ my 360 controller, and it doesn't do this. You can flick the controller joystick all the way left or right for a brief moment and your car will barely move towards that direction. There may be a way to adjust the settings in Shift to be more like this, but I guess it really comes down to your preference.

This is why I can't wait to get my wheel back in action before playing this game anymore. While I'm getting better at using the control pad for racing games (I used to be awesome at it), I prefer a wheel now. On a lot of the pure sim games you pretty much have to have a wheel to be able to play.

So I've been messing with the settings a little in the demo, and have gotten the driving feel a little better. Still can't use the gated shifter yet though. Anyone with G25 want to tell me to buy this game?

All I have is the Driving Force Pro, but I actually prefer paddle shifters. I like to keep my hands on the wheel! Unfortunately, I am going to have to order a new power adapter for it as mine has gone missing.

I almost got the G25 last Christmas season, but it was just too hard to justify the expense since I already had a great wheel.

Can you comment on the steering? Does it feel natural? Do you have a gamepad you can compare to? I always set my Driving Force Pro to 360* lock-to-lock. 900* is just too much, and 200* isn't enough in most games and at 360* I can turn the wheels to full lock w/o ever taking my hands off the wheel or the paddle shifters.

My hope is that the wheel will provide the experience that will make this game really shine for me. Right now, I still really like it, but it's so hard when you have that wheel staring at you in the corner, and you can't even freakin use it!

I have the full version, and I see in the control options selections for

G25 combined pedals
G25 separate pedals

Inside there are button assignments for gear up/down, as well as each individual gear.

This doesn't work for you?

The demo doesn't have all those options. That is really what I was looking for though. Extra options for it that were not included in the demo. I may pick this up tonight and give it a shot.

jason4207 said:
Can you comment on the steering? Does it feel natural? Do you have a gamepad you can compare to? I always set my Driving Force Pro to 360* lock-to-lock. 900* is just too much, and 200* isn't enough in most games and at 360* I can turn the wheels to full lock w/o ever taking my hands off the wheel or the paddle shifters.

The best way I can describe it so far is that it feels disconnected. It doens't respond like a car should, or even as well as LFS does. There are a lot of options though for fine tuning so I'm sure that given enough time it will get better. Also I usually set my wheel somewhere around 720º b/c that is average for real cars.

One other note, or rather question, I noticed that with ALL driving aids turned off the game was still trying to assist my braking points. Has anyone noticed this with the full version? Like you are coming in hot and the car just shuts down for you.

BTW, I have been digging around over on the NFS forum, but I would rather get your opinions than dig through the banter over there.

Last edited:
I thought the steering was strange at first until using the cockpit view as well. Like Godfather said, there are a lot of options for fine tuning the steering, both for the controller and for the individual cars. I got used to it quite quickly though, I feel the steering is accurate as is, like any driving game if you're smooth with your controller then the car will respond accordingly. Still, if you like there's all the dead zone/sensitivity/steering lock settings in there if you need it.

About the auto-braking, I noticed the same thing but only with one of the driving aids on, I forget which. When I turned them all off (full version of game) then I no longer had this auto slowdown before corners.

I'm a Gran Turismo fan, and I think this is the best alternate offering we've gotten so far on PC. Lots of real tracks, great cars, lots of tuning options, a decent racing system and pretty graphics. Can't expect much more than this from the NFS series.

I've been using my 360 controller, and if you race w/ the cockpit view (which really makes this game) you'll notice how the steering wheel moves when you tap the joystick. The wheel turns very fast if you flick the analog joystick. You have to deliberately move the joystick, and never move it quickly. You want to make sure the wheel you see on the screen moves smoothly. If you move the joystick all the way left or right the wheel goes to full lock very fast.

Imagine driving down the road at 100mph and then jerking the wheel on your car to full lock in either direction. What would happen?

yeah, it' sjust the the thing is..i have some cheaper Xbox 360 controller which doesn't have touch sensitive sticks or triggers. it's either 0% or 100% if you get waht i mean. there's nothign in the middle. so i have to keep tapping the trigger to accelerate and keep pinching the analogue stick so the car doesn't go crazy.

but yeah with GRID, the steering is different so i had no problem with my controller. but i guess i'll just have to get used to playing this game.

Any game with that many sequals is obviously not doing it right (TM). CoD 6? Seriously. It's EA madness all over again, except it's not just sports games anymore.

After seeing the physics on nfs shift I'm not interested at all. Right now I'm playing Forza 2 on 360 haven't had too much time into it to say if I like it or not... and DIRT on PC as far as racing games go.

I'll save my money for Mass Effect 2, Assassin's Creed 2, and Aliens: Calonial Marines, the real 4 player co-op horror shooter. :)

bit harsh on the NFS imo, but nonetheless. i agree previous NFS games haven't been too good, but this game is different. i like it so i'm gonna keep playing it :thup:
and COD6 isn't actuall the 6th game in the series...it's more like the 2nd game from the Modern Warfare series...but i agree about the madness...who wants Fifa 10 etc etc.

One other note, or rather question, I noticed that with ALL driving aids turned off the game was still trying to assist my braking points. Has anyone noticed this with the full version? Like you are coming in hot and the car just shuts down for you.

BTW, I have been digging around over on the NFS forum, but I would rather get your opinions than dig through the banter over there.

It did that for me w/ braking assist on, but it went away once I turned it off. Sounds like a demo bug to me. The assist settings seem to work properly in the full game.

yeah, it' sjust the the thing is..i have some cheaper Xbox 360 controller which doesn't have touch sensitive sticks or triggers. it's either 0% or 100% if you get waht i mean. there's nothign in the middle. so i have to keep tapping the trigger to accelerate and keep pinching the analogue stick so the car doesn't go crazy.

but yeah with GRID, the steering is different so i had no problem with my controller. but i guess i'll just have to get used to playing this game.

So, the triggers and the analog sticks are not actually analog? Strange. If that's the case you're not getting much of an advantage over a keyboard. Who makes the gamepad that you have? Maybe there is some option(s) in the control panel or in-game for your gamepad that would give you analog controls.

Last edited:
So, the triggers and the analog sticks are not actually analog? Strange. If that's the case you're not getting much of an advantage over a keyboard. Who makes the gamepad that you have? Maybe there is some option(s) in the control panel or in-game for your gamepad that would give you analog controls.

lol. it's by Powerwave. if i press the trigger half way down the car doesn't move. i push it down a bit mroe and the car accelerates full speed. but i remember playing GTR2 and they were touch sensitive. i think either this gamepad's drivers don't allow the controller to have more than 0% and 100%...or myabe its just the game. but any game except GTR2 it's not touch sensitive.
but i still get an advantage over a keyboard. i'm much more co-ordinated using a controller over a kb for car games lol. becuase i tend to pres a lot of buttons at once sometimes :p

Wow, that's brutal. Wait until you get into some cars with some more HP. It's nearly impossible to start moving from a dead stop if all you can do is no or full throttle haha.

Well I went ahead and bought this earlier today. I'll install it and get some laps in tomorrow. Will post back with my thoughts.

I like any racing game that is fun and engaging. Don't be a hater! ;)

Ok I DLed the unofficial "demo" If it is good I will buy it. Gotta wait to install it till my i7 rig is up and running. Doubt it will run well on my 2400xt :)

Well I went ahead and bought this earlier today. I'll install it and get some laps in tomorrow. Will post back with my thoughts.

LOL you bought it without playing it??? Wow... you have a lot more trust in EA than I do.

you know what... F it. I am not buying an EA game until they release madden on the PC again.

Wow, that's brutal. Wait until you get into some cars with some more HP. It's nearly impossible to start moving from a dead stop if all you can do is no or full throttle haha.

haha. i have traction, abs and stability control on though...:(
but i guess i can just keep tapping it...and has anybody found it impossible to drift around corners?
i tap the handbrake button any longer than 1 second and the car just spins out. :shrug:

Ok I DLed the unofficial "demo" If it is good I will buy it. Gotta wait to install it till my i7 rig is up and running. Doubt it will run well on my 2400xt :)

LOL you bought it without playing it??? Wow... you have a lot more trust in EA than I do.

you know what... F it. I am not buying an EA game until they release madden on the PC again.

Well I had a reply, but when I got to your last line it didn't seem to matter anymore. At any rate, don't go off the demo. There are a lot of settings that are left out that make the game much less playable. I bought the full version based on comments here, and am glad I did. I still have some tweaking to do, but this game feels much better than the demo made it seem.

Why even bother with the demo if it isn't going to be a good representation of your final product?

Back