• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new NFS Shift news! (drifting)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Typical you richard! Going for the VTEC and STi. Everyone knows EVO FTW!!!:santa:
haha! this is coming from Mr. i-hate-nissan-370z. and Mr. 4-cylinder-turbo-or-nothing. :p

Damir
i've tried those type of races...is it similar to the system in Midnight Club DUB edition? i sometimes get lost...so it doesn't really seem like a 'who can drive better' race, but more of a 'who can find the best route' kinda thing.

lol, sounds like a noobish type of race! I like it :p 370z is more muscle car these days! nissan went back trackin after NSX i reckon
has anybody finished the game yet?
last race i attempted was the BMW M3 - Audi RS4 battle.
my gawd is this game intense...he was on my back the whole time. :)

Finally got my replacement power adapter for my wheel! I played for about 2-1/1hrs last night and was having a blast. The controls are still a little funky, though, but overall the game is fun.

Can you other guys that have wheels post up your sensitivity (and other wheel specific) settings? I'm a little confused on how they affect the feel of the game.

I tried to use no assists, but I still found my self spinning out a little more than I liked, so I went back to 'Experienced' which helps keep the rear end in check, and keeps my wheels from spinning through every gear.

My car still feels really bouncy. Hard braking, acceleration, and maneuvering can really make the tires skip around as they look for traction. At first I tightened up the suspension and lowered the car like I do in a lot of games, but then I backed off a bit. How do you guys have your suspension's setup?

So far I've only been playing w/ 1 car; S2000 (except for the races that give you a car). Just got the works package before I went to bed last night.

Any advice on which car to buy next? I've unlocked Tier 3 so far.

I have not started messing with suspension settings much, but have an AE86 S13 and E36 M3 and a EVO IX all pretty built up.

G25 Separate Peddles:

Auto Clutch Off
ABS: on
Traction Control: off
Stability Control: off

Control Settings:
All dead zones at 0%
Steering: Usually about between 80 and 90%
Acceleration: 85%
Braking: 75%
Clutch: 90 - 100 %
Speed Steer: still messing with this one a lot b/c I can't tell what it is really doing in game, but have been running it at 0%
Force: 5 for drift 6 for race (drift mode sucks though, so I drift in race mode)
Turning Lock: 100%
Inverse: off
Camera Y: Normal

Let me know if you find some that feel better, or if you have any other questions about settings.

PS, I broke into the 7min range on the ring today. Still making some big mistakes (no spins) that can find me more time once I clean it up.

yeah i usually put accellerate/brake/steering sensitivity to 85% - a little bit sensitive, but just right for me. think im on a G25 - not completely sure, ill check back.

I got the scooby. its 4x man, slow down, overturn, floor it! 4 wheel side skid, slight understeer.

First thing first, that zonda! what a noise! That car for the noise alone is awesome.

The main thing with this game as might have been said, if you touch the grass, game over. You really have to work hard to stay on track. When you hit stuff hard the car loses tracking and keeps steering one way, which means you cant turn the other way as much, and also choosing the correct car is essential. I bought a tier3 porsche and upgraded it to the max (like a n00b) and i could barely turn a corner without spining off. You have to think more strategically.

This game is pretty good, currently using a Lamborghini Murciélago with the works, and it has supreme handling. Four wheel drive ftw!

I've got a wireless gamepad controller, and the game doesn't seem to like the analog sticks, I have to turn them to maximum to get the slightest movement, no matter how the sensitivity settings are.

So far I've only been playing w/ 1 car; S2000 (except for the races that give you a car). Just got the works package before I went to bed last night.

Any advice on which car to buy next? I've unlocked Tier 3 so far.

hey jas, i have the S2000 as well. the car feels really really jumpy and stiff, even though i haven't tuned many (if not any) suspension settings and if you remember my controller is fairly dodgy. maybe it's just that car though...because before i slept last night i bought an STi and bought a few handling upgrades for it, and the car was sure a lot stabler and easier to drive. but that could also be because it's awd :p
gah! i dunno lol.
(btw i still don't know waht that 'works' package does to your car :shrug:)

EDIT:
btw, is everybody here playing this game on PC?
i'im taking screenshots of my STi now and there's nowhere near the 'flare' that i get when taking screenshots of the S2000...strange...

Last edited:
Forza 3 is much more realistic than shift. It looks much better, too. IT's just pure racing though, no drifting or profile points and all that crap. May be a good or bad thing for you.

I agree. I just started playing it and while it falls pretty far short of Forza 3 it is a lot better than the usual NFS fare. I say it's probably better than PGR4 and maybe even GRID. However, using the in car view is a must. The game looks like garbage on the outside the car views. The cars don't look realistic and they look skatey when driving. It reminds me of one of those old table top gamesI had back in the early/mid 80s where there was a wheel and a shifter and the car and the car was attached to the wheel via a stick and the background scrolled while you moved the car left and right with the wheel and the stick made the background scroll faster. Damn, the good ole' days.....

In summary, I like it.

Drove the McLaren F1 last night in the McLaren vs race. That car has been #1 on my fantasy car list for a long time. I love the center cockpit! The car was still a bit jumpy, though.

It almost seems like there are certain places on the tracks that have speed bumps or something. My car just flies up in the air, and then bounces along until it settles down. If it happens in a turn you're screwed.

Keeping the car weighted right before, during, and after a turn seems to be crucial, and using the gas and brake simultaneously seems to help a little to keep the weight from shifting too quickly.

This game is still a lot of fun, though. I may have to try something w/ AWD. And I might try to loosen the suspension a bit below stock (I've never done that before!) and see what happens on the S2000.

Thanks for the tips on the wheel settings, guys! I'm going to crank up the sensitivity tonight and see how she goes.

lol, sounds like a noobish type of race! I like it :p 370z is more muscle car these days! nissan went back trackin after NSX i reckon

NSX was Honda/Acura >.<

but yeh I am lovin the game. So far drift is my favorite. I love the level of realism without being too realistic. It takes a fine balance of throttle and steering to maintain a large drift and i love drifting in my 370z >=)

I lol at how the AI likes to play bumper cars with million dollar Veyrons :p

Also, the Veyron has horrible handling at high speeds, but what can you expect at near 400km/h?

NSX was Honda/Acura >.<

but yeh I am lovin the game. So far drift is my favorite. I love the level of realism without being too realistic. It takes a fine balance of throttle and steering to maintain a large drift and i love drifting in my 370z >=)

He was saying that Nissan was chasing after Honda's NSX.

I am having a blast playing this game. I am a die hard LFS fan due to the physics, but I have yet to run a race on there that give me the emotion that this game gives me. I guess LFS is almost too clean (physics and feel). I love running The Ring (best way to get quick points and LvL up too) b/c you just seem to hang on the edge the entire lap.

The only car I have completely modded (sans nitrous b/c it has no place in road racing) is my EVO IX and it is insane to drive.

He was saying that Nissan was chasing after Honda's NSX.

I am having a blast playing this game. I am a die hard LFS fan due to the physics, but I have yet to run a race on there that give me the emotion that this game gives me. I guess LFS is almost too clean (physics and feel). I love running The Ring (best way to get quick points and LvL up too) b/c you just seem to hang on the edge the entire lap.

The only car I have completely modded (sans nitrous b/c it has no place in road racing) is my EVO IX and it is insane to drive.

i thought you had to buy nitrous for the Works package? or did you jus mean level 3 package?
btw don't you reckon the first EVO IX bodykit is a bit ricer? :p
i was just like ...whoa.....far out...lol

NSX was Honda/Acura >.<

lol...i tried a drift race in my S2000 and it jus span out. my controller doens't have touch sensitive triggers..so it's hard :( it's just like playing this game with a keyboard. (btw is anybody doing that by any chance? )

99% of the body kits are Rice, and if it take n2o to get the works package I guess I will never get it. I don't want to use it, and I don't want to have it b/c then the AI would.

As for the drifting... I said it once, and I'll say it again. The physics are pretty crap for that section of the game. They got the basic feel of the cars pretty dead on, but the tracks just feel like they were oiled down or something. Drifting in race mode is much more realistic, and entertaining to me (I am/was a drifter).

So I bought myself a lotus exige tonight. Just for fun, and as a personal challenge, I ran the ring with it stock.

With a few minor mistakes I pulled an 8:41.00 - stock
With one spin, a few minor mistakes, and suspension/brakes/tires/and exhaust as the only power adder I pulled an 8:14.040 WITH A SPIN lol Going to run it again tomorrow and get a clean lap before adding power to see if I can get into the 7:xx.xx range.

Anyone else have a favorite track that they are pushing for better lap times on?

99% of the body kits are Rice, and if it take n2o to get the works package I guess I will never get it. I don't want to use it, and I don't want to have it b/c then the AI would.

As for the drifting... I said it once, and I'll say it again. The physics are pretty crap for that section of the game. They got the basic feel of the cars pretty dead on, but the tracks just feel like they were oiled down or something. Drifting in race mode is much more realistic, and entertaining to me (I am/was a drifter).

So I bought myself a lotus exige tonight. Just for fun, and as a personal challenge, I ran the ring with it stock.

With a few minor mistakes I pulled an 8:41.00 - stock
With one spin, a few minor mistakes, and suspension/brakes/tires/and exhaust as the only power adder I pulled an 8:14.040 WITH A SPIN lol Going to run it again tomorrow and get a clean lap before adding power to see if I can get into the 7:xx.xx range.

Anyone else have a favorite track that they are pushing for better lap times on?

whoa, it's good this game is good enough to actually have time trial runs on. yeah...most of the body kits are pretty ricer. i'm saving up $150k for works package for my S2000..gonna take a while i'm thinking.

whoa, it's good this game is good enough to actually have time trial runs on. yeah...most of the body kits are pretty ricer. i'm saving up $150k for works package for my S2000..gonna take a while i'm thinking.

Take a while to save 150k? I've got almost 1mil right now and 4 cars that are almost completely tweaked excluding N2O and the works package. I'm telling you, run the Ring in quick play. You will lvl up almost every other time (even just doing one lap), and every other lvl up comes with sponsor bonuses + the cash for "winning" even if you are running alone as a time trial.

Which reminds me, my Ring times are all one lap sprints. That means I am going from a standing start. Not sure how much time I could shave on that second lap, but I figure the standing start sprint is the most consistent as far as challenging myself.

You do have to purchase the N2O to get the works but as soon as you get the works you no longer have it. I only purchase it so I can get the works.

Back