• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new NFS Shift news! (drifting)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So you sell it right after and it removes it from the AI's bag of tricks? I just want to make sure that I keep the playing field somewhat level, but keep the nitrous out of the road racing.

I'd put n2o in a drag car that had to be awesome for all of 8 seconds or less... but if you've got to have consistent performance like road racing, blowers or turbochargers are the way to go. Personally, I prefer the blower route... but then again I'm your typical american mustang loving corn fed brute.

I'd put n2o in a drag car that had to be awesome for all of 8 seconds or less... but if you've got to have consistent performance like road racing, blowers or turbochargers are the way to go. Personally, I prefer the blower route... but then again I'm your typical american mustang loving corn fed brute.
i'm guessing you still haven't bought the game yet? :p
i thought you were referring to the SHift for a second then.

ey Godfather, i've only got lik $39k in my bank account lol!
i had about $100k but then i bought an STi. i havne't really progressed much in this game, i'm still on Tier 2 races...haven't played much since i got exams soon.

ah, I've only played enough of the career to open teir III. I've been runnging a lot of "quick race"

Has anyone tried the online play yet? I have been playing multi within my home lately and it has been great, but as soon as I played with a friend across the net the game went to ****. There were massive obvious differences, such as teir I cars running with Teir III cars in the straights, my 240's 3 and 4th gears became crap just hitting redline instantly (which they don't do offline) causing me to have to skip those gears. You get the idea. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this.

ah, I've only played enough of the career to open teir III. I've been runnging a lot of "quick race"

Has anyone tried the online play yet? I have been playing multi within my home lately and it has been great, but as soon as I played with a friend across the net the game went to ****. There were massive obvious differences, such as teir I cars running with Teir III cars in the straights, my 240's 3 and 4th gears became crap just hitting redline instantly (which they don't do offline) causing me to have to skip those gears. You get the idea. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this.

how did you manage to save up $1 mill then?! lol. i've unlocked tier III cars as well, but i think i've spent quite a fair bit...but not as much as $1mill, becuase i only have a fully upgraded S2000 (not inclding Works) and a mildy upgraded STi.

have you tried the new patch?

Meh, I play it with a 360 controller
The only assists are the Factory ones and on medium difficulty, I got to Tier 3 using just a stock 135i for everything. most of the time its really easy and then some of the challenges just decide to be really hard for no reason at all. ( I then bought a new GTR VSpec and spent quite a bit on it)
Also the drifting feels more Arcady than any other NFS game, I was hoping itd feel the same as drifting in a normal race.
Drifing in Forza, Forza2 and LFS FTW
I find some of the ratings on the cars pretty arbitrary aswell.
Also the car feels like its on "rails" you can pretty much throw it into any corner and damn near any speed and all is well.
T-boning another car at 200k's an hour with damage on and almost nothing happens.
Apart from the drifting the game offers nothing more, infact less than GT1, apart from it looking very pretty.

You do have to purchase the N2O to get the works but as soon as you get the works you no longer have it. I only purchase it so I can get the works.

+1

So you sell it right after and it removes it from the AI's bag of tricks? I just want to make sure that I keep the playing field somewhat level, but keep the nitrous out of the road racing.

The NO2 magically disappears once you get the Works...at least it did on my S2000. The car behaves much better now as well. I really got into it last night, and am loving this S2000 now!

I also bought the 640 Lambo, and the Lotus Exige. I think I'm going to build up the Lotus first...I really like light, nimble cars!

And thanks for the wheel settings Godfather! They have made the controls feel much better.

Meh, I play it with a 360 controller
The only assists are the Factory ones and on medium difficulty, I got to Tier 3 using just a stock 135i for everything. most of the time its really easy and then some of the challenges just decide to be really hard for no reason at all. ( I then bought a new GTR VSpec and spent quite a bit on it)
Also the drifting feels more Arcady than any other NFS game, I was hoping itd feel the same as drifting in a normal race.
Drifing in Forza, Forza2 and LFS FTW
I find some of the ratings on the cars pretty arbitrary aswell.
Also the car feels like its on "rails" you can pretty much throw it into any corner and damn near any speed and all is well.
T-boning another car at 200k's an hour with damage on and almost nothing happens.
Apart from the drifting the game offers nothing more, infact less than GT1, apart from it looking very pretty.

Factory assists? If you mean you didn't change anything then you are really missing out. The reason you can 'throw' it into a corner at any speed is because you have the braking assist on. It applies the brakes if you don't as you go into a corner. That really takes all the challenge out of it. And turn off that green-yellow-red line thingy...that ruins the immersion as well.

I only tried 1 drifting event, and gave up before the end of 1 race. Garbage IMO, but at least you can skip those events.

I haven't tried to turn damage on yet. For now I have it on visual-only, but I assumed that the damage effect would be better than you described. It at least 'looks' like it's getting damaged. I'll have to try that to verify.

Less than GT1? You mean where you go into a corner and just ride the other cars like a rail? Or how all the AI just goes in a perfect line and never passes itself? Or how you can make your car so powerful you can dominate a race w/o any skill at all?

NFS:Shift is seriously addictive once you get into it. Are you playing w/ the in-car view? If you're using anything else you're missing what makes this game special. The way the perspective moves inside the cockpit really gives you the feel of speed and makes braking, accelerating, and turning feel so much better than a fixed camera perspective.

Got the game,I think its still very much on the arcade side of things & a little easy if your used to simulators like rFactor. My M3, Donnington Park, Craner Curves.... I think:eh?:

Attachments

• NFS_S_M3E92_00.jpg
    NFS_S_M3E92_00.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 87
  • NFS_S_M3E92_01.jpg
    NFS_S_M3E92_01.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 84
I have taken a break from this as we got back into drifting in LFS, but I plan to run a few laps sometime today.

Has anyone else noticed the "handicap" when playing online?

Got the game,I think its still very much on the arcade side of things & a little easy if your used to simulators like rFactor. My M3, Donnington Park, Craner Curves.... I think:eh?:
whoa, nice M3 you got there ;)
how many fps are you getting with your setup?

whoa, nice M3 you got there ;)
how many fps are you getting with your setup?

60FPS Max, 45FPS average & 30FPS lowest I have seen while driving according to Fraps 2.9.9 B8086. These are my settings at default video card clock speeds with 190.62 drivers:

<data class="GraphicConfigData" id="0xBB11E0">
<prop name="Name" data="" />
<prop name="Mode" adapter="0" width="1920" height="1200" antialias="2" refresh="60" />
<prop name="Vsync" vsync="1" />
<prop name="Windowed" windowed="0" />
<prop name="TextureFilter" texturefilter="2" />
<prop name="TextureResolution" textureresolution="2" />
<prop name="Brightness" brightness="8" />
<prop name="CarDetailLevel" cardetaillevel="2" />
<prop name="TrackDetailLevel" trackdetaillevel="2" />
<prop name="ShadowDetailLevel" shadowdetaillevel="2" />
<prop name="MotionblurLevel" motionblurLevel="0" />
<prop name="EffectsDetailLevel" effectsdetaillevel="2" />

Yes, I turned off Motion Blur. I just do not like it.

Last edited:
Sadly NFS will most likely always be stuck in the arcade style. The real deal is always going to be a simulator, or better, get out on the street for real! :clap:

Sadly NFS will most likely always be stuck in the arcade style. The real deal is always going to be a simulator, or better, get out on the street for real! :clap:

I wouldn't really call it sadly. NFS always has been an arcade racer and probably always will be. Why does everyone complain that every new NFS game is still arcade style, if you don't like arcade style racing then stick with simulation games like GTR2 and LFS.

For me it wasnt a complaint, just hoping for more than what there was. I think this has been the most fun release of the franchise since NFS Hot Persuit, was a big fam of NFS 1,2 & 3 on the original PlayStation but went with Gran Turismo when it came to arcade type racing games after that.

I agree that rFactor & the like simulators are a different brand of fun:beer: Those too get boring after a while. Variety is the spice of life:cool:

On closed courses, preferably. Street racing isn't wrong because uncle Joe said so (though, it is illegal because uncle Joe said so), it's wrong because you are involving somebody who doesn't want to be involved in your wreck less life endangerment. Would you want somebody else's life on your hands?

Drive safe on the streets and look out for your fellow man, and if you want to race, join a racing club local to your area that has closed course events. That's where the real fun is, and there's no chance for a ticket unless you pull some stupid antics on the way out.

60FPS Max, 45FPS average & 30FPS lowest I have seen while driving according to Fraps 2.9.9 B8086. These are my settings at default video card clock speeds with 190.62 drivers:

<data class="GraphicConfigData" id="0xBB11E0">
<prop name="Name" data="" />
<prop name="Mode" adapter="0" width="1920" height="1200" antialias="2" refresh="60" />
<prop name="Vsync" vsync="1" />
<prop name="Windowed" windowed="0" />
<prop name="TextureFilter" texturefilter="2" />
<prop name="TextureResolution" textureresolution="2" />
<prop name="Brightness" brightness="8" />
<prop name="CarDetailLevel" cardetaillevel="2" />
<prop name="TrackDetailLevel" trackdetaillevel="2" />
<prop name="ShadowDetailLevel" shadowdetaillevel="2" />
<prop name="MotionblurLevel" motionblurLevel="0" />
<prop name="EffectsDetailLevel" effectsdetaillevel="2" />

Yes, I turned off Motion Blur. I just do not like it.
whoa, not bad.
i'm pulling about 40fps average with my 3.4ghz e6400 and 4850...but i'm on 1680x1050 res.
my graphics settings are pretty much the same as yours.
i like NFS as an arcade racer. it's just the right amount of arcade-ness for me. games like Burnout are too much for me...yet i can't enjoy games like GTR2 as much...becuase thye're too sim-like.

i like NFS as an arcade racer. it's just the right amount of arcade-ness for me. games like Burnout are too much for me...yet i can't enjoy games like GTR2 as much...becuase thye're too sim-like.

Yeah I'm that way too. I don't see why most people think all racing games need to be a "sim". I've played GTR2 some but just can't really get into it. I guess I like the way games like NFS and Gran tourismo are more than a true sim.

Back