• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new NFS Shift news! (drifting)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
haha. i have traction, abs and stability control on though...:(
but i guess i can just keep tapping it...and has anybody found it impossible to drift around corners?
i tap the handbrake button any longer than 1 second and the car just spins out. :shrug:

I didn't even need to use the e-brake to drift. But I haven't played any of the 'drift' events yet. I'm just talking about drifting around corners while racing.

I'm waiting until I get my wheel back in action before I play this game anymore. I just feel like I'm missing something otherwise. I can play well w/ the gamepad, but racing games just don't feel right anymore w/o the wheel. I guess I'm spoiled!

From what I've read the drift events take a lot of feathering of the gas and steering. W/o analog controls it may be just about impossible for you.

When you open control panel and go to your gamepad options does it show an analog map, so you can see the coordinates of your stick position?

haha. i have traction, abs and stability control on though...:(
but i guess i can just keep tapping it...and has anybody found it impossible to drift around corners?
i tap the handbrake button any longer than 1 second and the car just spins out. :shrug:

Turn off the assists, it's much easier to drift with them off.

I just started this game. All I can say is fun!!!! I haven't played any racing games before but all I can say is that it is so realistic!! Like when you crash your view is a little blurry and it's just awesome. I'm glad I got it.

I didn't even need to use the e-brake to drift. But I haven't played any of the 'drift' events yet. I'm just talking about drifting around corners while racing.

I'm waiting until I get my wheel back in action before I play this game anymore. I just feel like I'm missing something otherwise. I can play well w/ the gamepad, but racing games just don't feel right anymore w/o the wheel. I guess I'm spoiled!

From what I've read the drift events take a lot of feathering of the gas and steering. W/o analog controls it may be just about impossible for you.

When you open control panel and go to your gamepad options does it show an analog map, so you can see the coordinates of your stick position?

yeah yeah i haven't trie drift race yet. i'm talking about normal races as well...like you know how in GRID (if you have it) you can just kind of slide around corners? i'm trying to do this with Shift and it ain't happening. guess this game is trying to be more realistic anyway.

yeah in the control panel i can calibrate my controller, but in car games except GTR2 i haven't felt any touch sensitivity for the sticks and triggers.
(BTW my controller is same design as 360 controller, a, x, y, b etc etc.)

guys, i think i need to invest in a quality 360 controller...this cheapo 360 controller-wannabe just isn't working for me now. just tried a drift race in Quick race mode and i spin out everytime i press the accel trigger.

also, it wasn't as apparent before because i was driving slower cars, but after i drove some faster cars (Ford GT40, DB7) the trigger and dodgy analogue stick just wasn't cutting it...guess you were right Jas :p

I know you're in Australia, so I'm not sure what you have available, but I just bought an extra wired XBOX 360 controller on ebay for $23 shipped. You might have similar deals available down under if you shop around.

Just shell out for a G25 ;)

I have about an hours' worth of just messing with settings now, and the game is starting to feel really good. I still believe the physics are better in LFS, but I will take a LITTLE less real driving for the real cars and tracks. The game does a good job of giving you the feel of blasting around those tracks. On The Ring there are sections where you really get that "on the edge of disaster" feeling which is exactly what you should be getting there.

This game is kinda like NFS and LFS got together and had an illegitimate kid.

I am pretty upset with how they did the drifting. It is obvious that they are running a completely different physics package for the drifting. It is one big driving aid. As a drifter in real life I can tell you that the core of each car's handling feels right, but it is way to easy to initiate the slide and ends up being way to loose out there. It is almost like they used "rain physics" for the drift tracks.

So far, I am happy with my purchase.

Just shell out for a G25 ;)

I have about an hours' worth of just messing with settings now, and the game is starting to feel really good. I still believe the physics are better in LFS, but I will take a LITTLE less real driving for the real cars and tracks. The game does a good job of giving you the feel of blasting around those tracks. On The Ring there are sections where you really get that "on the edge of disaster" feeling which is exactly what you should be getting there.

I am pretty upset with how they did the drifting. It is obvious that they are running a completely different physics package for the drifting. It is one big driving aid. As a drifter in real life I can tell you that the core of each car's handling feels right, but it is way to easy to initiate the slide and ends up being way to loose out there. It is almost like they used "rain physics" for the drift tracks.

So far, I am happy with my purchase.

Heck yeah!

+1 on the G25. But the Driving Force Pro is no slouch on a budget.

Or how 'bout the G27!

http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/17/logitechs-300-g27-racing-wheel-gives-sidelined-dui-possessors/

I ordered a new Power Adapter for my wheel, but it won't be here until Monday. Then it's time to dog this game out!

Last edited:
Am I the only one that didnt like the game? Too little customization and upgrades, AI cheats and does the "break for no reason" thing so common in arcade games. It also seems that every time you upgrade your car, your oponents car is upgraded also. That is, as you upgrade a car, the AI upgrades too. What the hell is the point of upgrading then if the relative advantage is erased.

Furthermore, playing on medium difficulty, I found some of the races really frustrating. How am I suppose to finish 1st in a race where I start last, there are two VERY short laps, and lots of really tight corners? How am I to finish first short of ramming my way into 1st place? There's just not enough time to get into first place through proper driving on such maps, especially considering that its impossible for your car to have any advantage via upgrades...

Last edited:
Am I the only one that didnt like the game? Too little customization and upgrades, AI cheats and does the "break for no reason" thing so common in arcade games. It also seems that every time you upgrade your car, your oponents car is upgraded also. That is, as you upgrade a car, the AI upgrades too. What the hell is the point of upgrading then if the relative advantage is erased.

Furthermore, playing on medium difficulty, I found some of the races really frustrating. How am I suppose to finish 1st in a race where I start last, there are two VERY short laps, and lots of really tight corners? How am I to finish first short of ramming my way into 1st place? There's just not enough time to get into first place through proper driving on such maps, especially considering that its impossible for your car to have any advantage via upgrades...

EDIT: that G27 doens't look much different. i can the F1 kinda dial thing above the centre of the steering wheel...which tells you when to change gear?

yeah i don't like how you can't have a 'view mode' when choosing paint and rims etc etc...i love that :(
i guess the upgrading is so that you get experience more speed.

yeah Jason, might hook myself up to a 360 controller. G25 would be too much of a spoil for me...they cost $270 here and i only get a chance to play games on holidays. new 360 controllers are $70 :(.

oh my god...i got that feeling a few times yesterday. think it was during the STi - Evo IX dual. i was actually using the mirrors to see where he is, and trying to listen to where his car was behind me through my speakers etc etc...good game i tell ya :)

Last edited:

I think it's just a tach.

SOOO I played the Forza 3 demo today, it just came out. Beats the crap out of shift!

I think it's just a tach.

SOOO I played the Forza 3 demo today, it just came out. Beats the crap out of shift!

mm yeah. you reckno it's a gimmick or it'll actually work. you'd have to get support for that shift reader for every car game for it to work :shrug:

LOL how's Forza 3, same type of racing? or more realism, less NFSism?

You can race dirty or clean and get points either way. Switch up your strategy where appropriate. I remember playing GT2 and GT3 and upgrading my car to the point where I could completely crush opponents. I could wreck, and go off the road all the time and still smoke the competition. That gets boring IMO. By having racers that challenge you, you get that rush of trying to move through the field consistently. I like it!

What are your favorite cars in terms of handling so far?

I like the Lotus Elise and the audi rs4 so far. The RS4 is a beast when upgraded. The elise is slower but handles nicely.

Edit: I downloaded a complete savegame, and tried out most of the interesting cars. The most fun I had so far was a Lotus Elise, fully upgraded + works package, no driving assist/tc/sc and the map Tokyo Circuit. The car is such a beast D: much more fun than the Veyron, or Zonda R, or Audi R8.

Last edited:
mm yeah. you reckno it's a gimmick or it'll actually work. you'd have to get support for that shift reader for every car game for it to work :shrug:

LOL how's Forza 3, same type of racing? or more realism, less NFSism?

Forza 3 is much more realistic than shift. It looks much better, too. IT's just pure racing though, no drifting or profile points and all that crap. May be a good or bad thing for you.

What are your favorite cars in terms of handling so far?

I like the Lotus Elise and the audi rs4 so far. The RS4 is a beast when upgraded. The elise is slower but handles nicely.

Edit: I downloaded a complete savegame, and tried out most of the interesting cars. The most fun I had so far was a Lotus Elise, fully upgraded + works package, no driving assist/tc/sc and the map Tokyo Circuit. The car is such a beast D: much more fun than the Veyron, or Zonda R, or Audi R8.
well the only car i have at the moment is the S2000. i've nearly got all performance upgrades for it. it's pretty fast but a bit hard to handle at times, although they may be because of my stupid controller.

other than that, i like the Subaru STi but it tended to understeer when i went hard into corners (in stock form).
Unreal Alex, what is the Works package exactly? i've seen it a few times on loading screens but does it completely change the car into a race car or something?

well the only car i have at the moment is the S2000. i've nearly got all performance upgrades for it. it's pretty fast but a bit hard to handle at times, although they may be because of my stupid controller.

other than that, i like the Subaru STi but it tended to understeer when i went hard into corners (in stock form).
Unreal Alex, what is the Works package exactly? i've seen it a few times on loading screens but does it completely change the car into a race car or something?

The works package significantly boosts the stats of your car. Only some cars can get it and to buy it you need to have installed all the available upgrades for that car (including tier 2, tier 3, and all the other stuff that's locked in the beginning).
I suggest going to gamecopyworld and downloading the save file, it has all cars/upgrades unlocked except for tier 4 cars and gives you 1 billion dollars. The career races are not touched though, so you can go through them one by one starting with tier 1

Typical you richard! Going for the VTEC and STi. Everyone knows EVO FTW!!!:santa:

Back