• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new NZXT fan controller appears to "buzz"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aquitain3

Registered
I am looking for a fan controller that does not have buzzing capacitors like the one I just purchased. I can hear the thing humming!

My "NZXT MESH" fan controller was only 25 dollars and I am looking to spend less than $50.

If you guys can recommend a good one with quality PCB I would appreciate it!

REQUIREMENTS: enough cables to power 5 140mm case fans at full speed :)

Last edited:
You want one of this. I got one coming myself. Lamptron FC2 Fan Speed Controller 45W x 6 channel Black

The current ripple from the fan motors can cause the inductors to buzz. Sine wave fans are somewhat better but they still have a lot of ripple, and they generally have PWM input so a fan controller is unnecessary.

Your best bet is to get a buck converter module that uses a potted inductor. Or build one for that matter. What's the total amperage of all the fans? The converter has to be designed for about twice that (at least for a moment) to account for inrush and/or support soft start.

Back