• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New PC build (part 2)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FastRedPonyCar

In follow up of my previous thread a while back, I've decided to just bite the bullet and not wait for next gen hardware or whatever the future may hold.

Here's a copy and paste of my topic over at NVnews asking for suggestions.

It's been I'd say about 2 years since my last major overhaul. I'm still rocking the 2.4 ghz P4 with the Abit IC7g and 6800 and having to set rainbow6 vegas at basically the lowest grahpics settings to play it was the final straw.

I've got around $1000 right now and I'm planning on selling one, mabey 2 of my guitars to get more $$ together for parts depending on what I decide to put in the machine.

anyways, Here's what I'm keeping.

Lian Li case
Samsung dvd burner
Western Digital 75 gig raptor
WD 200 gig SATA drive
Creative E-Mu 1212m sound card

So basically, I know I'll need a PSU, CPU, Mobo, ram and probably new heat sink as I don't have the other cpu's hardware that came with my Zalman.

Tell me if this list is decent or if anything that's just as good but less expensive could be substituted (particularly the PSU or ram as I'm just sort of guessing what's good based on reviews and what not).

Corsair HX620W PSU
Patriot 2gb DDR2 1066 (PC28500)
E6600 Conroe
ASUS 650i SLI
Zalman 9700 LED
Possibly an 8800GTX if prices drop enough in the next month or so but if not, a GTS. I'm sure 2 GTS's in the future would still be fast as anyone needs.

I'm wanting instant gratification when Crysis and Alan wake come out. Max settings, decent FPS, etc.

I guess the only REAL debates I'm tossing around at this point is whether or not that extra $100+ for a 680i board is REALLY that necessary and if the prices of the GTX's will fall enough in the coming months to merit waiting or just getting a GTS.

I'm not going to be going hardcore with this system. I've read the 650 board needs supplimental cooling and I think with a pair of 120mm fans in the front of my Lian Li PC-V1000 and another in the back, there shoudn't be TOO much to worry about although I do have a copper swiftech northbridge passive heatsink in my parts bin and some thermal cement if it needs it.

Judging from the layout of the ASUS 650 board though, it seems like the back of those long *** 8800's would prevent it from seating into the top PCIE slot. I've got some lower profile heatsinks though I could use if that issue has already been addressed.

But I guess my real main question is whether the near future holds any major tech advances that only the 680i boards would be able to utilize? I don't need 10 USB ports, I don't need 8 SATA ports, I'm not going to go crazy with the overclocking, I can't think of a reason I'd need 2 gigabit ports and from what I've read, 16X vs 8X pci-E, there's marginal differences in real world gaming.

The E-MU audio card I use has a 2nd daughter card that goes next to it but doesn't need a PCI slot like the mother card does. If I add a 2nd 8800 into the mobo, will there still be room for 2 single slot cards side by side? I guess that would be an issue for both chipsets though.

And the GTS vs GTX isn't that big of a deal though. I've got a generic PCI-E video card I could use temporarily until GTX prices come down some (if the GTX really is worth the wait). The only game I have any desire to play at this point until crysis comes out is Vegas.

thanks for any help or suggestions guys!

I'd recommend against i680 right now. Unless you need/want SLI, better to go with Intel chipset. P5B-D and an 8800 video card should be more then enough power. Take a look at the matrix raid thread and see if it is something that interests you. Other then that it looks good.

well, sli is something I do eventually want. If I had an sli capable motherboard now, I wouldn't be in my predicament, I could just toss another video card in and get more performance which is what I'm hoping in the future I'd be able to do when that single video card wasn't enough.

id go with a 6400 over a 6600 and use the money elsewhere or save it. from what ive read and seen they OC better thanthe 6600 and the $90 price difference does not come anywhere near the performance gain. doesnt help for gaming, ive seen 6600 owners say go 6400 - they would if they could do it again. of course if money is no biggie, then this point is moot.

also id go with a single card solution for video, 150-200 and then end of the year sell it and get a dx10 card since by then there will be variety and revisions to the initial dx10 cards and good prices - heck the equivalent of an 8800 could very well be 200 bucks by Q4.

the features in dx10 are worth it IMO, but not to rush into. after all the price premium is ridiculous for hardware that doesnt have an OS yet or games to utilize. let the kinks get ironed out, some games start flowin, prices a droppin and dont go dx9 sli.

FRPC! Good to see you around here! I used to hang out at the Guitarlodge forums. And while I have nothing useful to add, I just thought I'd say hi...

Back