• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New PC - please help with build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eraqsnyy

Hi all,

I need to ask you guys for help. I am trying to build my new computer (mostly for games).

CPU: Processor Intel Core i5-4440 (6M Cache, do 3.30 GHz) BOX BX80646I54440
MB: Asus B85M-G, B85, DualDDR3-1600, SATA3, GBLAN, mATX
RAM: ??
HDD: Seagate 1TB, SATAIII, 7200RPM, 64MB cache (ST1000DM003)
PSU: Corsair VS 450W ATX 120mm, EU version CP-9020049-EU
GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 660, 2GB DDR5 (192 Bit), HDMI, DP

I don't know any differences between producers, but I think 8 GB will be ok.

Thanks a lot in advance
Best regards
Era

Hi Era. What are you going to play and at what resolutions? What's your budget? Do you need peripherals such as keyboard,mouse,monitor etc?

Hi Itachiii,

modern games like Dragon Age 3 and Assassin Creed Unity.
I want to spend something about $1500 +-200.
No peripherals.

Here's an option

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/btxF3C

rationale ->

4690k for gaming is a good place to be still.
Extreme 4 motherboard is well regarded in function and form
Phantecks ph-tc14 is a VERY good cooler, up there with the best air coolers. And at 59.99$... hard to go wrong there. If the price changes, jump to an nh-d14
16gb of ram.... 8gb is "fine", but its starting to get to a point where you may need more than 8gb. 12gb would probably be ideal, but thats hard to do haha
m550 256gb SSD. Great price, fantastic performance
gtx 970.... because its a freakin 970 lol
fractal makes great cases, but its subjective. You can swap to whatever your heart desires I guess
seasonic m12ii 620. Fully modular, glorious performance... 55$!
Qnix qx2710 great way to get into 1440p without breaking the bank. Its 60hz, but with 1440p and a single 970, its fine compromise for cost/benefit ratio.

If you DONT need a new monitor, well there you go, 1200$ build.

ATM, why you pushing the Xeon's lately? haha And yes, indeed meant the z97 haha.

They're quite a bit cheaper than the i7 equivalent, but perform better in anything multithreaded than the i5.
Perfect for someone looking for a lower power system or someone that won't be overclocking.
Helps with the budget by ~$50 typically.

I've got mine set so that it runs at 3.8GHz under load for all four cores instead of just on one core.

Edit: Some Xeons actually have onboard GPU's, just so you know. The ones that don't are cheaper though.

Thats an interesting thought.

Not to thread jack, simply curious and its somewhat relevant ->

1) how are they with ram compatibility?
2) how do they run temp wise?
3) Is there a particular reason to choose an i7 over a xeon or vice versa?

1) RAM compatibility is motherboard dependent, so the same as any other chip.
2) Same as the equivalent i5 or i7 chip.
3) If you want an unlocked multi is the only thing I can think of.

Watch motherboard CPU compatibility though, I only suggest boards with them that I know work with Xeons.
Some list the Xeon, some don't. Some need BIOS updates.

Back