• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New PC, what settings should be changed or to be done in BIOS? First time. :D

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pmap93

Registered
Hello again! :D

Soon, I'll have my components with me and I'll build my first PC :D

Something, I haven't really touched as a topic, the BIOS. :-/

What settings have to be changed or procedures that has to be done in BIOS during first time boot? :shrug:

And can components be ruined if the BIOS isn't right? :(

Thanks in advance.

PS-I hope this is the right forum category :)

The board should configure itself to get the system up and running. You may want to verify that the SATA controller is in AHCI mode, but that is about it.

Once you start overclocking, you need to consider changing more in the BIOS.

Assuming you have a modern motherboard, it will pretty much do everything for you.

But somethings: You may have to endable USB boot if installing from a USB or the same for the optical drive - or you may need to change the BIOs order to boot one of them before the other. After you install the OS, you may want to change the priority boot to be the installed HDD so it boots "quicker" or so you do not boot into a misplaced USB.

If you bought performance RAM (1866mhz+) you may have to "set" it in the BIOs as a lot of the time it will default to 1333mhz (at least in my case).

Unless you have 2+ video cards or plan to OC, that should be about it.

Make sure to set the time/day, memory speed/timings/voltage, and verify that the SATA controller is in AHCI mode.

Definitely make sure your RAM timings and voltage are correct. You can usually accomplish this by setting the RAM's XMP profile in BIOS. I can't tell you where it is in your bios as all bios are different but play around without saving settings and look everywhere and you will find it.

My P67 motherboard defaults RAM to 1.65V, even though that is a moderately harmful voltage for my processor's IMC. So its important to make sure your settings are correct.

Back