• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new PSU for my old system? will it work?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trypt

Hi. the system in my rig (mobo DFI Ultra D with the S939 and Opteron) is screwed.

it's been like that for a long while, it won't start up, so i have to keep it on forever, but last night I just did a normal reboot like I do once a month or so, and it wouldn't get anywhere.

Now, I finally shut it down, but when I tried my trick of plug/unplug, when I finally get it to start, it doesn't really start, it just caughs and the red lights blink and the fans only start going mildly, and nothing much happens at all.

Before I shut it down, everything was working perfectly.

Now, I want to upgrade my computer anyway, probably to the Gigabyte UD3 and 8150CPU, but, if I get the modular PSU from Corsair (the one I want is the TX750 or something similar), will it be able to run with my current system until I'm ready to upgrade the rest?

I cannot afford to get mobo/cpu and ram right now which is the minimum I would have to get in order to run (keep video card the same, radeon 3870), but I want a good PSU, and am just wondering if this PSU (TX750) has the same connectors and will power my Ultra-D (if indeed that is the problem).

Anyhow, before I shut it down, on reset, the furthest red light would blink like 5 times, then the rest would go off one by one like usual and the computer sounded as if it restarted, but no screen, no nothing. Once I shut it down, I could never get it to run again, not even with my two year old trick of plugging the power cable in and out until it catches power.

Thank you.

Forgot to mention, when I do get it to "start", the 4th red light (the System StartUp) blinks about 5-6 times, then it stops blinking, and the rest go off one by one until none are on, and then it does the soft re-boot thing, but nothing happens. This was for a while, but now it just clicks through the speakers, but when I plug the PSU in completely, the yellow lights come on fine. Of course I can't start it up this way since I haven't been able to for a long time, the power button won't work (it's connected properly, brand new Antec 300), the screw driver trick won't work, and the POWER button on the mobo itself has not worked for over a year, the reset works though. Like I said, before today, the only way to get it started from "off" is to do the trick I talked about, plug it in slowly, in and out, to get the fans spinning a bit, and on the 10th or 20th try, it starts up. I've had to do that for about 10 times the last 2 years, my computer is on all the time, the 10 times were due to thunder storms etc when I power was lost.

But today nothing will get it going, and I know when I succeed in my "start-up trick" but instead of starting, the fans hardly move, and the lights all blink crazily etc.

Main thing is, please read my posts and help, but will the TX850M work with my system?

If it works, but I still can't boot, then of course I'll have to bite the bullet and upgrade mobo/cpu/ram, but that is all I can do. For that, the TX850M is perfect right? I'm going to buy it in about 2 hours so if someone has anything to say about that, please do it now. Another company? More power (I doubt it, i was going with 750 but the 850 is on sale for the same price). I just want modular, and to work with 4HDD's, an SSD, external stuff, 8150, UD3, 4 sticks of ram and a 7870 video card (when I get it). No SLI/Crossfire EVER, so 850 is plenty especially from a company like Corsair right?

Main thing is... patience and not triple posting. :p

Being serious, a significantly lesser PSU would work just fine. Corsair CX500 would be PLENTY for any modern system with a single GPU.

You do not remotely need a 750W+ PSU for that system.

Yeah all ATX PSUs are forwards/backwards compatible.
You'll want to look for one that has a 4+4p CPU power plug, that way you can use it in your current board (which has a 4 pin CPU power connector) as well as in a modern board with an 8p connector.
The vast majority of mid-wattage units (500-900) have this.

If you never plan to run crossfire/SLI a 750 is far more than you need. A good 550w unit can run any single GPU out there, or 600-650 if you think you might want to buy a top shelf GPU and OC it and the FX8150 to the wall and back.

The triple post was adding thoughts, and editing wouldn't have worked.

In any case, thanx for the info, the only reason I want to go with the TX850 is because I heard great things about it, I know it's overkill. Now, my only concern is whether it will connect to my existing Ultra D. I hope so.

Well, BobNova gave you the information needed to succeed. You can check it out at newegg.com or Corsair's website.

I went and checked it out...It will work. It shows 2 4+4 pin 12v CPU leads. In fact it has TWO of those since its made for higher powered systems.

You want quality as good if not better than that unit? Go AX series or X series from Seasonic (you can determine if any of those will work - they all should - by checking out the specs as well).

I got the TX850M, I guess I thought it was modular, but it's not, it has some extra stuff that I have no idea what for, maybe somebody can clue me in.

But long story short, I'm very excited as it was the PSU the whole time. I don't know how my computer worked for the last year with a faulty PSU. Remember, once off, it wouldn't start, short my trick which sometimes took a minute, sometimes half hour to fool the mobo to start. With this one, everything is perfect, the buttons work, excellent.

I even like the cables, even if it's not fully detachable (not at all actually, except the aforementioned extra four cables that come with it and the holes to plug them into but I don't know what that is for).

So, is the HX850 the one I was actually looking for? Is that the fully cable detachable? I won't return mine, I love it, but just wondering.

Everything peachy, but I did have a big scare, I couldn't get it to post, it would start up, but the four red lights were just on all the time (system ON) but it wouldn't get past that, meaning the CPU connector needed to be in, but the one on the PSU had 8 pins not 4. After freaking out, I looked closely and saw that you can actually seperate the 8 pin into two 4pins, wow, i was happy but still not convinced, but once I plugged it in, everything went smooth, and now I can actually turn off my system once in a while if I so desire, and can actually turn it back on with a button, wow! lol.. It means I can finally close it up and don't need to keep it open "just in case"..

Its sort of modular. Less modular than I thought. It seems they include the 24pin, 8pin, and molex. I mean you use all that stuff even on the most basic of PC's but still.

Glad it worked out for you! :)

Back