• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New PSU suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Unless you need to be cutting edge and on top of technology all the time and have the wallet to do so, and are a top-notch avid gamer and want to benchmark games with every frame-rate you can get, you're wasting your money going SLI in my opinion.

That=not me. at all. What I'm most concerned with is being able to play the games i love and the games I'm going to love within the next year or two.

Since two video cards obviously doesn't equal twice the power lets say I'm just going to stick with one card and upgrade that one when I need to, what would you recommend I shoot for in a psu? wattage/amperage/etc. wise.

That=not me. at all. What I'm most concerned with is being able to play the games i love and the games I'm going to love within the next year or two.

Since two video cards obviously doesn't equal twice the power lets say I'm just going to stick with one card and upgrade that one when I need to, what would you recommend I shoot for in a psu? wattage/amperage/etc. wise.

With a 4870 and that quad, Corsair 550w easy:

4870: ~ 130w
Q6600: 105w

Your rig as you listed it might be 300-325 watts stock for all, tops.

You can do the math, not even close to laboring a good 550w power supply. Want to overclock them both? Depending on how high you go, add another 50 - 60 watts total for both. If you see a price for a larger power supply at the same price as a 550w, buy it!

Back