• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New RAM for Q6600 + X38 chipset + DDR3 Combo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

salty11

Win 7 64bit
Q6600 2.4Ghz (stock)
2.0GB OCZ DUAL-Channel DDR3 @ 533MHz (7-7-7-20) 1.5v
Maximus Extreme X38 chipset
8800 GTS 512MB

Currently only have 2GB of ram looking to increase this to 4 or 6GB total would be enough.

Everything will be stock so which cheap good RAM sticks do you recommend?
Would latest models for Core i3 etc work OK with the setup

Ok well you got some older stuff going on, so my first question is what is this computer used for? I'm not really sure what to recommend to you if I don't know what you need it for. The I3 is not compatible with the x38 chipset or socket lga 775 as that motherboard is. My blanket statement about your position is to upgrade everything. Jump up to and i3 or i5, Get a nice set of 1600mhz 8gb ram, and a new motherboard. Of course that costs money so now were talking budget. So I guess two things, what do you want and how much are you willing to spend? after that is answered, I can help you out much more:)

Memory

Hello,

Your motherboard supports a maximum memory of 8GB. It has 4 sockets and each socket can hold a memory of 2GB. Since, you are having DDR3 - 1333MHz memory, I would like you to go with the same speed unless if you are willing to replace the existing memory as well.

You can find the memory for this motherboard in the following link - http://www.memorystock.com/memory/ASUSMaximusExtreme.html

In regard to the CPU support as mentioned in post #2, your motherboard does not support Core i3 processor as your motherboard's socket is Intel LGA 775 which supports only "Core™2 Quad/Core™2 Extreme/Core™2 Duo/Pentium® Extreme/Pentium® D/Pentium® 4 Processors".

If you need any more information let me know. Good luck!

Regards,
Kutless

Back