• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Ram to OC Q6600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kacz

Registered
So I have a set of these: 2 x 1gb

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227139

Have had them for about 2 years now. When I first built the system it was a little slow, after I had spent 2 grand, so I hastily ran out to best buy and bought another 2 sticks of crappy ram. Now I'd like to try my hand at OC my Q6600.

I see most people in the forums recommending that I just pick up a pack of 2x2gb sticks and stick with that. However, I can find the same OCZ sticks on amazon, is there any reason I shouldn't do that? Besides filling up the 4 dimms i have for memory.

Thanks guys.

Well, generally that ram overclocks decently, so depending on your goal, you can stick with those.

HOWEVER, 4 sticks stresses the Northbridge more and could limit your overclock. I would sell your current sticks and get a 2x2gb kit.

What motherboard do you have?

My mobo is:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813127030

How much do you think I could get for my current sticks?

I'm not trying to go crazy with my OC. Thinking maybe 3.0 ghz. But I mean, I've never OC'd before, this is my first shot at it. I've got a nice big Cooler Master Stacker, with fans everywhere. But if I could go above and beyond 3.0 that wouldn't hurt.

They would go quick for $30-40 shipped... its something at least. Im sure you could get to 3ghz with 4 sticks... just anything over say 450FSB may not work without a lot of voltage on the NB

450fsb. So 4.0ghz... Thats fast. =-)

If I could get 30 - 40 shipped on my sticks right now I'd probably pull the trigger, but looking at ebay it seems like 10 - 20 bucks is probably what I'd get...

If I stuck with my sticks DDR2 800 - FSB of 400mhz, highest I could probably go on them is 3.6ghz, you think I could pull that off with the 4 sticks?

Back