• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New RAM trouble on old K7D

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fig_wright

I'm trying to upgrade my old K7D to get a last bit of life out of it. I currently have 1.7GB of PC2100 Crucial RAM (1GB, 512MB, 256MB), all ECC registered. I bought several Crucial 1GB PC2700 ECC registered sticks off eBay, in the knowledge that PC2700 does work fine in the K7D.

However, none of the sticks will even detect at all. I have set the RAM timings to gentle manual settings, incase the SPD cant work on auto, but no joy. The only difference between the working 1GB stick and the new ones is that the new ones are PC2700 and configured as 18 chip 128Mx72, while the old is PC2100 configured as 36 chip 128Mx72 (the chips are stacked double height).

Does anyone know of compatibility problems with the MPX chipset on the K7D and RAM configurations? If so, what working 1 GB sticks should I look for?

No, but the 4 sticks came from 2 different sources, and one pair was "new" and still in the original sealed dust-covers. I'm guessing it is unlikely to have 4 sticks all fail utterly in that scenario :confused:

Back