• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

add to my old ram or buy new?? intel 10600k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bigemike

So I have two very similar builds
the only difference is the ram

my system has 2 x 8gb pc3000 gskill trident memory

Her system has 2 x 16gb pc3200 gskill trident

I am seeing a noticeable difference in my benchmarks between the two. I am wondering if I would see things even out if I put another 2x8gb pc3000 kit into mine ($80) or if I buy a new pc3200 or pc3600 2x16gb kit ($120-$150)

Just wanting some input, I know the intel chips are memory speed effected like the AMD is but I don't want to buy twice. Even if its a marginal increase I will probably buy 2 of the faster 16gb sticks.... Talk me off the ledge, lol

To answer the question... neither? :p

The only difference between those sticks, for all intents and purposes, is the capacity. If you are using 16GB in your system, then more would help. Otherwise, no.

The 16GB sticks may be dual rank, but I don't imagine the performance difference to be much between them.

I didnt really think it would make that much of a change, but I went ahead and ordered some 3200 sticks off of amazon 2 x 16 RGB for $115

I am going to give it a shot and put my other sticks up for sale for like $60 or keep it for a plex / sonarr media server build

Back