• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NEW RIG -- take a look before I order =]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xwhiteboy55

Registered
Here is what I have put together::

Cases (Computer Cases, ATX Form)

Lian-Li 12-Bay Silver Aluminum Case With side window, Model "PC-65"
Item# N82E16811112024

CD/DVD Burners (RW Drives)

NEC 16X Double Layer DVD±RW Drive, Black w/ Software, Model ND-3520A, OEM
Item# N82E16827152038

Hard Drives

Seagate 80 GB Barracuda 7200RPM SATA with NCQ Hard Drive, Model ST380817AS, OEM
Item# N82E16822148040

Memory (System Memory)

CORSAIR XMS Xtreme Memory Speed Series, Xtra-Low Latency 184-Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200 w/ Heat Spreader, Model TWINX1024-3200XL - Retail
Item# N82E16820145522

Motherboards - AMD

DFI "LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D" NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket 939 CPU -RETAIL
Item# N82E16813136152

Fortron Blue Storm 500W ATX12V V2.0 Power Supply with 120mm Fan, P4 and AMD ready, Model "AX500-A" -RETAIL
Item# N82E16817104934

Processors

Crackin' Deals
AMD Athlon 64 3200+, 512k L2 Cache, The Only 64-bit Windows Compatible Processor - Retail
Item# N82E16819103483

Video Cards

eVGA nVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT Video Card, 256MB GDDR3, 256-Bit, Dual DVI/TV-Out, PCI-Express, Model "256-P2-N376-AX" -RETAIL
Item# N82E16814130215

The only question is I have a winchester as my processor -- Ive heard dirt on the fact that it holds you back from doing things like overclocking and adjusting the timings on your RAM. With this motherboard, I dont want to be held back much.

I understand the fact that the newer processors aren't as overclockable -- but if someone had to pick what would it be?

Thanks,
Matt

not yet!!! venice is just days away, wait till that. It'll be a little more expencive at first, but it should OC like a beast, from what we've seen (can you say 2.8GHz on air from a 3200?). Other than that, looks good.

or if nothing else, if you dont want venice (why you wouldnt I cant imagine, unless they are very expensive), then you can wait for the prices on winchesters to come down once venice comes out, which should happen. Its win-win.

Yep, everything you've listed looks GREAT, but as everyone else has said, wait a week or two for Venice to become widely available and go for that instead of a Winchester:)

yes but the problem is, people say something is coming out soon, and you end up waiting a friggen month or two instead of a week or two.

Thats what I dont understand.

If its going to come out it will be out this Tuesday or Wen. By the way whiteboy you have same RAM and mobo as I do. I was able to get this RAM running at 300MHz with 8x but it wasn't that stable. The best stable speed were 263MHz with 10x, but recently one of my sticks gave out (yesterday), its still running but I can't do any OC'ing with it.
If I were you I would get new OCZ PC-5000 wich is specially designed to run with new DFI NF4 boards and I will be getting some myself really soon. Will post results soon as I get them.
I would also suggest that you get XP-120 if you plan to OC and if you don't like H2O.

oh yeah, thats right, you don't have an HSF listed. XP-120 with a delta 3 blade fan is the best air cooling you can get. H20 will obviously be better.

And don't worry about waiting too long...2 weeks at the most, I guarantee it. They were supposed to be shipped to retailers on the 5th, and supposedly some places already have em.

Looks good to me. Nearly exactly the same as my build, cept I couldn't afford the 6800 and I went with a 120gb barracuda. I was real close to getting that ram too but it instead I went with some Mushkin blue. I have no experience with the Corsair but just from what I have been reading at XS and around here, OCZ is better stuff nowadays. Based on how many people do use corsair though i'd say it is a solid buy. I can't do anything with my new parts either cause I am waiting for venice... the damn thing needs to hurry up. Anyways let us know how you do.

[H] said:
Venice is the ONE dude!

Cost will most likely be a little high for awhile but if I had the funds and was looking to get top notch in a new system then it is what I would do.

any particular reason for the seagate hard drive? i'd pony up $30 more for a 160gb maxtor dm10 - $96 for a 6b160m0 which will be quieter, cooler and faster than the seagate.

I'm not waiting for the Venice -- its gonna be too much when it comes out.

If I want one -- Ill get one over the summer, Ill be okay with the Winnie

xwhiteboy55 said:
no particular reason.. I just wanted a HDD-- maybe ill get the maxtor
Seagate makes great drives, I would highly suggest the Seagate over the Maxtor. I have not had a Maxtor but I have had two Seagates and both have been SUPER silent and quick. Great drives IMHO.

xwhiteboy55 said:
I'm not waiting for the Venice -- its gonna be too much when it comes out.

If I want one -- Ill get one over the summer, Ill be okay with the Winnie

No it won't. The chip is a replacement for winnie not an upgrade it will be the same price unless some vendor gets it first or there are limited quantities. Why buy a PSO CBBID chip when you can wait a little for a nice one.

Back