• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Rig & Upgrading an Old One

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Captn_Howdy

Hi All,
I am building a new rig, and upgrading another:
My current computer:
PSU: Silverstone Strider ST1500
Lian LI: PC P80
CPU: 920 (3.7)
Noctua: NH-U12P SE2 120mm SSO CPU Cooler
Asus: P6T7
Corsair: 12GB Dominator GT 1600
Gigabyte: GTX 285 3-way sli
WDC: Velociraptor SATA II & SATA III + RE3
This will be my sisters first computer. I ordered her a Lian li B25F case, and a Planar 27” monitor.
I can give her my CPU, RAM, and one GTX 285. I also have a refurbished P6T6 WS revolution and a Silverstone 650 Olympia SST-OP650 in the closet.

For myself, I am thinking of buying a Maximus IV extreme-z & 2700k with 16GB of G Skill Razor X 1866
OR
Upgrade my components with the following.
CORSAIR DOMINATOR GT 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000
+ 980 Gulftown.
Probably going with 2 x GTX 590 SLI

I have priced out the two, and the difference between doing one or the other is $50.

What do you guys think would be the better way to go? I like the fact that the Maximus has SATA III.

Hi All,
I am building a new rig, and upgrading another:
My current computer:
PSU: Silverstone Strider ST1500
Lian LI: PC P80
CPU: 920 (3.7)
Noctua: NH-U12P SE2 120mm SSO CPU Cooler
Asus: P6T7
Corsair: 12GB Dominator GT 1600
Gigabyte: GTX 285 3-way sli
WDC: Velociraptor SATA II & SATA III + RE3
This will be my sisters first computer. I ordered her a Lian li B25F case, and a Planar 27” monitor.
I can give her my CPU, RAM, and one GTX 285. I also have a refurbished P6T6 WS revolution and a Silverstone 650 Olympia SST-OP650 in the closet.

For myself, I am thinking of buying a Maximus IV extreme-z & 2700k with 16GB of G Skill Razor X 1866
OR
Upgrade my components with the following.
CORSAIR DOMINATOR GT 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000
+ 980 Gulftown.
Probably going with 2 x GTX 590 SLI

I have priced out the two, and the difference between doing one or the other is $50.

What do you guys think would be the better way to go? I like the fact that the Maximus has SATA III.

I would go with the 2700k or LGA 2011 Hex no reason to mess with X58 anymore.

I would also go 3x 580's rather then 2x 590's

In my dreamworld it would be

Intel I7 3960x
Asus R4E
8-16GB of The Highest Speed Memory I Could afford (Corsair/G-Skill/Mushkin)
2 Vertex 3 MaxIops 120GB Sata III (in Raid 0 of course)
If I was to go basic cooling it would be a Corsair H100
and for a Case (I noticed you like Lian Li) I think this is one sexy case
LIAN LI PC-P80NB Black

Edit: I didn't do the math but I think its more money then the other options :)

Thanks for the reply thobel,

I have the Lian Li P80. I think it is the same as the P80NB because replaced all the blue lighted fans with black. All those lights drive me crazy.

I was thinking of going with 3-way SLI, but there is no board out there, be it X79 or Z68,that supports 3x16 PCIE, so that would mean staying with the X58 platform and upgrading my CPU and Ram. Also, Guru 3D bench marks with newer direct X 11 games have higher frame rates with Z68 and 590 in SLI in 2560 X 1600.

I forgot to mention, I have a 30" LG Flatron W3000H. I play mostly Total War Series, DCS Black Shark, DCS A10, Metro 2033, and Counter Strike, and try usually two new titles per year because most games now a day are console junk ported to the PC. I'm only buying true PC titles, which seem to be rare. I’m hoping Cliffs of Dover matures into a good title.

I would rather go with R4E X79, with 590 SLI, but for that price I could get an R4E Z68 with Intel SSD 510 240GB.
I like the Intel over the Vertex 3 for reliability. I also believe Intel is coming out sometime with a newer SSD this year, so I'm going to hold off for awhile on the SSD.
I open to suggestions, I am planning on buying today or tomorrow, so please give me your feedback.

Thanks for the reply thobel,

I have the Lian Li P80. I think it is the same as the P80NB because replaced all the blue lighted fans with black. All those lights drive me crazy.

I was thinking of going with 3-way SLI, but there is no board out there, be it X79 or Z68,that supports 3x16 PCIE, so that would mean staying with the X58 platform and upgrading my CPU and Ram. Also, Guru 3D bench marks with newer direct X 11 games have higher frame rates with Z68 and 590 in SLI in 2560 X 1600.

I forgot to mention, I have a 30" LG Flatron W3000H. I play mostly Total War Series, DCS Black Shark, DCS A10, Metro 2033, and Counter Strike, and try usually two new titles per year because most games now a day are console junk ported to the PC. I'm only buying true PC titles, which seem to be rare. I’m hoping Cliffs of Dover matures into a good title.

I would rather go with R4E X79, with 590 SLI, but for that price I could get an R4E Z68 with Intel SSD 510 240GB.
I like the Intel over the Vertex 3 for reliability. I also believe Intel is coming out sometime with a newer SSD this year, so I'm going to hold off for awhile on the SSD.
I open to suggestions, I am planning on buying today or tomorrow, so please give me your feedback.

I play @ 2560x1600 also I don't think the 16x8x8 vs 16x16x16 really makes alot of true difference. I don't think you will go wrong with either 590's or 580's I'm a fan of Intel SSD's myself (I have 8 of them) they tend to cost slightly more so I was being cheap after my other suggestions :) I did get a Vertex 3 for my HTPC and I have to say it runs like a champ (My first SSD not an Intel). I still think x79 is a better path ASUS and everyone else will end up dropping firmware updates etc. Its the start of a slow death (even if we don't like it)

OK, I am getting interested in the X79 because there might be some good sales today or tomorrow, and the X79 R4E is in stock. What would be the best RAM for the X79 R4E? And, I see there will be room for my sound card if I go 590 SLI.

When this board is retired in a few years it will become my media server for the house, so maybe X79 is the way to go. OK you convinced me!

Is the 3960X really worth paying $500 more for than the 3930K? If you can make a good argument for the 3960X I’ll think about it.
What about RAM?

OK, I am getting interested in the X79 because there might be some good sales today or tomorrow, and the X79 R4E is in stock. What would be the best RAM for the X79 R4E? And, I see there will be room for my sound card if I go 590 SLI.

When this board is retired in a few years it will become my media server for the house, so maybe X79 is the way to go. OK you convinced me!

Is the 3960X really worth paying $500 more for than the 3930K? If you can make a good argument for the 3960X I’ll think about it.
What about RAM?

Simple answer is no. I will get it just because I'm foolish and need the lastest high end for my ego :)

I think most people outside of the extreame overclockers/Benchers are going with the 3930k

as for the old hardware thats mostly what I do they become my HTPC's I rotate threw the house until the last one gets the boot to my mother or friends.

Side note my moron friend is telling me I gave him a piece of junk

[email protected]
Tri SLI GTX 280's
Intel 120GB
Antec 1200
Corair 1000HX
Asus Rampage Extreme II
8GB Corsair 1600 If I remember Correct

and all the SOB does is use Office 2010.. Makes me want to go kick him in the Nu**

I hear you thobel, my friend is still blaming for loss of data on a PC I gave him a screaming deal on.

Well, since my last post R4E went out of stock again. I'm in no rush just looking for a good deal. 590 GTX out of stock too.

I need RAM suggestions for air cooled moderate overclock on the 3930k?

I'm also looking at the P9X79 WS although, it doesn't have turbo boost technology. I have no idea if that is a gimik, or a very useful feature.

Last edited:
I hear you thobel, my friend is still blaming for loss of data on a PC I gave him a screaming deal on.

Well, since my last post R4E went out of stock again. I'm in no rush just looking for a good deal. 590 GTX out of stock too.

I need RAM suggestions for air cooled moderate overclock on the 3930k?

I'm also looking at the P9X79 WS although, it doesn't have turbo boost technology. I have no idea if that is a gimik, or a very useful feature.

Over the top sexy
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231505

Very Sexy
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231503

She's Cute :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231494

I haven't been able to obtain Rampage IV Extreme motherboard, and so I have been looking around for another board.
I really have been looking hard at the Asrock exteme9, but it is also out of stock.
The P9X79 Deluxe looks good, but no heat sink fans, also Asus does not use polymer capacitors on its X79 boards.
I am leaning now towards the X79 tuf Sabertooth board because of its durability and cooling. Those 590’s in SLI are going to throw some heat.
Anybody got any suggestions?

Back