• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build any advice?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gottcha

• Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz LGA 1150
  • ASUS Z97-A LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA
  • Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler
  • CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Profile Desktop Memory Model CML8GX3M2A1600C9
  • EVGA 03G-P4-3783-KR GeForce GTX 780 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Dual w/ EVGA ACX Cooler
  • Seagate NAS HDD ST2000VN000 2TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive
  • SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD256BW 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive
  • Thermaltake Toughpower Grand TPG-850M 850W ATX 12V v2.3 & SSI EPS 12V v2.92 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS GOLD
  • ARCTIC MX-4 (4g) Carbon-Based Thermal Compound, Non-Electricity Conductive, Non-Capacitive

I'll be reusing my case in my signature. I also have three hard drives i'll be reusing. I mostly use the comp for games and video editing. This should be a nice bump up from the Q6600 setup:attn:

Last edited:
Looks like a good list, the only thing I would change is I would purchase a SeaSonic G Series SSR-550RM 550W ATX12V is all you need for a single video card.:cool::popcorn:

Looks like it will be a nice set up.

Two things I would look at would be as above the power, can not ay I ahve had any luck with TT power. This is a nice top tier unit that I have used in the past and have had luck with. This unit will alow you to really push the volts if desired.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088

15% off with this (EMCHRCM22)

One might assume looking at the PS spec you plan means SLI in the future?

If that is the case the 650's big brother may be a good solution that is 15% off as well (EMCHRCM22)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151102

Secondly, DC is only two weeks away, Changes will not be earth shattering by any means, but new gen with better TIM seems to be a no brainer if upgrading at this particular moment in time.

If you happen to live near a MC I am sure they will have a CPU/MB combo that simply can not be matched on line as far as price point goes

Good luck with the build :)

Last edited:
Looks like a good list, the only thing I would change is I would purchase a SeaSonic G Series SSR-550RM 550W ATX12V is all you need for a single video card.:cool::popcorn:

I might go SLI in the future and I have always used a little bit bigger PSU than what I need for the just in case I want to add more stuff later.

Thanks for the fast reply and input!

Looks like it will be a nice set up.

Two things I would look at would be as above the power, can not ay I ahve had any luck with TT power. This is a nice top tier unit that I have used in the past and have had luck with. This unit will alow you to really push the volts if desired.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088

15% off with this (EMCHRCM22)

One might assume looking at the PS spec you plan means SLI in the future?

If that is the case the 650's big brother may be a good solution that is 15% off as well (EMCHRCM22)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151102

Secondly, DC is only two weeks away, Changes will not be earth shattering by any means, but new gen with better TIM seems to be a no brainer if upgrading at this particular moment in time.

If you happen to live near a MC I am sure they will have a CPU/MB combo that simply can not be matched on line as far as price point goes

Good luck with the build :)

As i said above I like to have a little extra in case i want to add on more stuff.
I have been using TT PSU in my last build (6 years old) thats pretty much the only reason I choose that brand. Some of the reviews I have read on the Corsairs(thought they were the best) have scared me away from them.
I was looking at that same 650 psu you posted and it seems to be a lot of complains about the length of the cables. (i spend more than a few hours last night researching all the parts)

Thanks for the fast reply and input!

I am reading way to much about all the parts i have chosen and keep second guessing myself. I need a system that will last as long as my last setup did. With that said is the video card good enough(yes i know they do go kinda quick) but should i get the 6 gig version? I enjoy the BF4 game and the COD(kind of starting to sway away from COD a bit)

Depends on what res you are running or plan to run with this set up

1920x1080 it will crush everything

2560x1440 it will run everything fine, but may have to notch it back a hair on some titles

Surround extra vRAM could be helpful

1920x1080 right now but i might get a new monitor in the future. irc its only about a 100-150 difference...... I hate being out of the loop for this long, its like trying to learn everything all over again! i basically don't want to have to up grade for the next say 4 years except maybe the video card(i started out with an 8800gt to a gtx 275 and im now on a gtx 550ti). I tried to do that with the last system and it worked out well.
I'm now starting to wonder if i should get the adapter plate for my swifttech GTZ for the 1150 socket and stick to water cooling...

Thanks again for all the input!

• CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Profile Desktop Memory Model CML8GX3M2A1600C9
  • EVGA 03G-P4-3783-KR GeForce GTX 780 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Dual w/ EVGA ACX Cooler
  • Seagate NAS HDD ST2000VN000 2TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive
  • SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD256BW 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive
  • Thermaltake Toughpower Grand TPG-850M 850W ATX 12V v2.3 & SSI EPS 12V v2.92 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS GOLD
  • ARCTIC MX-4 (4g) Carbon-Based Thermal Compound, Non-Electricity Conductive, Non-Capacitive

I'll be reusing my case in my signature. I also have three hard drives i'll be reusing. I mostly use the comp for games and video editing. This should be a nice bump up from the Q6600 setup:attn:

Do NOT use a NAS HDD on a desktop. Get a WD Caviar Black. You can afford it and they're very good drives.

I would not get a TT PSU. I just don't trust that brand as a whole. There are good Gold rated PSUs from Seasonic from $90-125 that you can pick up in the 600-650W range. All you need for 1 GPU. I advise you against going multi GPU in the future. Just trade up to a higher tier of single GPU. SLI causes microstutter. Makes you want to rip your hair out. Some people don't notice it but why risk it?

BTW The MX4 paste is redundant. The NTH1 that comes with the Noctua HSF is just as good and just as non conductive.

• WD BLACK SERIES WD2003FZEX 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
  • Seasonic SS-660XP2 ATX 12V/EPS 12V, 660W, 80 PLUS PLATINUM Full Modular certified Active PFC Power

:

Updated parts list. I'm still debating if i want to keep my swiftech 220 kit or go with air cooling...

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cooling/2009/04/30/swiftech-h2o-apex-ultima/5

There is proof that higher speed RAM does increase FPS in games. I can locate the link with some trouble but eventual success I'm sure if you're interested. Or you can find it.

You can get DDR3 2400 for reasonable prices usually. Might want to grab some. Beyond that speed the RAM starts to get ridiculous expensive.

There is proof that higher speed RAM does increase FPS in games. I can locate the link with some trouble but eventual success I'm sure if you're interested. Or you can find it.

You can get DDR3 2400 for reasonable prices usually. Might want to grab some. Beyond that speed the RAM starts to get ridiculous expensive.

I'd like it see it.

I know that higher frequency ram makes a different for APUs when running integrated graphics, but I've always seen that it was pointless for CPU+GPU set ups to go over 1600mhz ram and was even told so on here when asking about a particular brand(not that I listened).

I'd love to see the proof for CPU+GPU set ups that you've found.

Or you could have linked me, with the link you claimed to have, instead of being rude about it....

I read it somewhere. It was on this forum. There was a whole thread about it. I don't see what's rude about "Google it dude". If you took offense to that I can't imagine what I might have done to cause that offense.

I read it somewhere. It was on this forum. There was a whole thread about it. I don't see what's rude about "Google it dude". If you took offense to that I can't imagine what I might have done to cause that offense.

Because you offered to link it if asked, I asked because everything else i had seen was contrary to your claims, and you said youd be able to get it again.....

Updated parts list. I'm still debating if i want to keep my swiftech 220 kit or go with air cooling...

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cooling/2009/04/30/swiftech-h2o-apex-ultima/5

I highly recommend going with the All in one Units like the H220, CM Seidon 240M, H100i, and NZXT Kraken X60. Before buying it make sure itll fit in your case. I personally like the kraken x60 but any of the above will serve you perfectly.

The reason i recommend them is because I had a notcua NH-D14 and it was nothing but a hassle to do anything in the case, and cleaning it was a real annoyance because the sharp edges like to catch dust like you wouldnt believe.

You also have ram limitations with it either you get low profile ram or turn heatsink (if your case can accommodate that) which may mess with your airflow plan.

Additionally while working around it like adjusting cables or running new cables around you would result in being cut by the sharp edges especially if you take the fans off it to clean it cause its so large its a tight fit even in a large case like the HAF-932.

I switched over to an H100 after and it was just so much better to be able to get in the case and swap out cards and ram and youll get the same or better temps and theyre much easier to clean .

Because you offered to link it if asked, I asked because everything else i had seen was contrary to your claims, and you said youd be able to get it again.....

I was really hoping you wouldn't ask me to google it. Kind of like when Larry David asked Marty Funkhauser if there was anything he could do, and Marty asked him to take care of his crazy sister (Expertly played by Catherine O'Hara). I'll look into it tomorrow when I have some pep in my step. Right now I'm off to bed.

Back