• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

captsulu2004

I thought I would share my new rig with you guys. I will be making changes to this in the future. I just wanted to build the system and get it done in the meantime.

Specs:
Thermaltake View 31 case(includes 3 riing 14 fans top mounted)
EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3 PSU
MSI X99A GAMING PRO CARBON MoBo
16 gb G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series DDR4 2400 Ram
Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.3 GHz(O/C @ 4.2)
EVGA GeForce GTX 970
EK Fluid Gaming 240
Kingston HyperX 120 SSD
ADATA XPG 512 NVME
Seagate Baracuda 3tb
upHere 5-Pack Wireless RGB LED 120mm Case Fans

My PC.png

I do want to make changes. I want to raise the res, add a basement for the psu, cover the back panel openings in the case with plexi, and swap out the soft lines for hard tubing.
The CPU, Ram, and GPU are all existing parts, everything else is the upgrade. The easiest thing for me to do to go from a AOI cooler to a custom was to get this EK 240 all aluminum kit. They are supposed to be releasing aluminum fittings for hard tubing, when they do I will switch the tubing out. I would also like to add another rad(maybe a 360) and mount it in front where I have this 240 and mount the 240 at the top.
I would LOVE to upgrade my GPU and water cool that as well but that will have to wait till the pricing fiasco is over with. Until then, I will make a custom lighted backplate for my little ol 970 to spruce it up.
If you guys can think of anything please do tell. And feel free to critique my build, I love getting new ideas from it.

Last edited:
Nice looking rig and well done as well as :welcome: to OCFs!

One thing I'll just add as you might already know this is just make sure to keep it part of the fluid gaming line when it comes to parts you're adding because of the aluminum.

well done and welcome to OCF! if you went with painted fittings like these
https://modmymods.com/alphacool-eis...-knurled-compression-fitting-black-17264.html
or these
http://www.performance-pcs.com/bitspower-g1-4-matte-black-enhance-multi-link-for-od-14mm.html
you should be able to run them with the aluminum gear you have without any problems.

i like the idea of raising the res up higher. its also a good idea to make an enclosure for your psu. that will clean the bottom of your case up nicely.
the back of my case is very similar to yours. ive been thinking of cutting a piece of aluminum or some kind of plastic maybe to cover all of the openings behind the res(mine is essentially in the same spot). ive seen others do it and it looks really sweet when done right.
adding a 360 to the loop would be a nice addition. with a solid 360 and the 240 you will have covered any future cooling needs ;)

Last edited:
I was considering the nickle fittings but from everything I have seen on anything nickle plated in water cooling systems is the nickle isn't always of the best quality and it peals and flakes off in time. Or it begins to tarnish like copper does. I don't want to take that chance so I will wait till I can get aluminum fittings. EK does have the fittings I need but unfortunately, they are only available in a small tubing kit made for linking multiple gpu's together and cost $20 bucks a kit. The kit only comes with two fittings so I would have to buy 5 kits to get the fittings. That would cost me over $100 bucks just to get fittings. EK keeps claiming they don't know when they will release the fitting packs for the hard tubing but I have a feeling they noticed people buying multiple gpu kits so they can hard tube this 240 kit and they are making a killing off it so why bother releasing the fitting pack. The reason I want to add the 360 rad is because my cooling isn't on par with what I'm seeing others getting. I only have a modest overclock @ 4.2ghz and with this kit as is, my temps are hitting 87c on load after only 10 minutes of stress testing in Prime95. Others I have seen using this kit had much higher O/C's and were getting temps around 65c when stress testing. IDK, Maybe I got a hot one with this 5820K. I do here it's the luck of the draw with this CPU. I installed the 240 kit exactly to the letter of their instructions. I will say I had to guess at which port on the rad and block were in and out because this cheaper system isn't labeled on the parts so I had to install it based on the picture diagram in their manual. I was thinking about upgrading to the 5930K to see if it runs cooler than my 5820K but I don't know if the extra pci lanes, which I won't be using, and a speed increase of just 200mgz warrants the price.

On a side note, I'm not new here guys. It's just been a really long time since I came to hang out with you and I forgot my old login details so I had to make a new account.....lol

Back