• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New server! Media, Gaming, and more!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ssjwizard

Has slightly less legible writing than Thideras
Ok so I am entering a phase where I will be rebuilding my studio when I move into my new home. I am going to need a new server for this setup as I have expanded on the duties that I expect the system to do.

So primary duties include:

Media Streaming - live or transcode OTF to every device in the home.
Data Storage as the primary backup of all important info on all systems on the network.

That's basically all my old server did, the plan is to add a few more layers on this onion.

Game Streaming within the home only. This machine will have VMs setup for each Steam account in the house and a few of my closest pals.
Game data centralization - All steam accounts will point to a shared common location for the data which then means that all installed software only has a single copy stored... Save files are usually in the user directory so this shouldn't be a problem in general.
Streaming will be conducted over Cat6 to several steam links located around the house.

CloudOS/cloud desktop services. Never really played with this although my QNAP NAS did have something along these lines. Mostly I just want to check it out.

Game/web/sql/etc servers. We have completed the network layers for my game engine and thus I intend to get the new website, forums, game servers, and all that jazz up and running on my server before moving it into a proper data center.

Potentially I may sink some of the machines resources towards DC transcription as that nets actual $$ rather than virtual currency.

----

So far I have not chosen a platform for this, and I am unsure how many GPUs I intend to install.
I am not sure of the best way to address the Game Virtualization. I know I can pass through a GPU to a specific VM. In my current blueprint that wont work as the VM serving the game could switch. I definitely need to refine this plan a bit before moving forward. Id love to hear input on any aspect of this project!

Back