• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Setup - Components OK? ... which pump?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sheriff_deadeye

Greetings all...I could really use your input regarding my component selection, especially the pump. Thanks for the help.

System:
Intel Core 2 Duo 6550 2.33Ghz
nVidia 8800gt (g92)
Lian Li pc-v1000

Requirements Priority:
First - Noise Level - I work next to this machine all day long.

Second – aesthetics - this machine is the center piece of a custom built-in desk and shelf unit. This is also goes with priority #1 – any excessive vibrations are passed along the lian li case, through the wheels to the wooden support shelf and eventually the desk. So low noise and low vibration are essential.

Third Performance - Good temps at mild overclocks are the goal. But extreme low temps and super overclocks are not needed.

I will be cooling the cpu and the gpu, but not the chipset or hard drives. I have built several air-cooled system prior to this build and have been prepping for this water cooled build for some time.

Here is what I have selected so far

CPU waterblock – alphacool NexXxoS Bold socket 775
GPU – XSPC Razor 8800 gt (g92)
Rad – Black Ice Stealth 240
Tubing – 3/8 ID 1/2 OD (still selecting the type/brand)
Fittings – 3/8 barbs

The D5 and DDC pumps receive a lot of attention and recommendations, but based on what I have read, and the order of my requirements, I do not think the D5 is the right choice. I have not been able to find much information about the smaller pumps such as those from xspc and alphacool.

Here are the pumps I’m looking at…any input and feedback on the components and pump are greatly appreciated.

Danger Den CSP-MAG 12V (still some left at Petra’s)
http://www.petrastechshop.com/dadencs12vop.html

Alphacool AP700
http://www.alphacool.com/shop/Pumps/AP700-centrifugal-pump-12Volts--648.html

AlphaCool AGB-Eheim 600 Station II Pump
http://www.arcticmod.com/computer-m...-II-pump-12-volt-1/2-3/8-1/4-inch-systems.htm

XSPC X20 400
http://www.xspc.biz/400pump.php

DDC with XSPC - Laing DDC Top
http://www.jab-tech.com/XSPC-Laing-DDC-Top-pr-4124.html

I would only go with a Laing pump. The D5 is a very quiet pump. It has 3 speeds as well. The reason these pumps get lots of attention...well because they have a good rep.

To be honest, I dont know a pump that makes lots of noise...over fans, HD's, and other ambient sounds, but a failed pump could be bad. I cant speak for any other pumps...as I have only used those 2 Laing pumps...but I can verify they are solid.

Tubes? I would go Clearflex. Not as expensive as Tygon and just as good IMO.

Also, if you are not totally set on your blocks...I would look into Apogee GT and/or D-Tek Fusion.

OK..you have just about convinced me on the pump selection.

For the cpu block...can you give me a little more insight? If the difference is 1 or 2 degrees in temp., i'm ok with staying with the alphacool block. but if it's build quality and there's a risk there...that i would want to avoid <:).

Any thoughts on xspc or EK cpu blocks ?

The thought is the Fuzion with the pro mount and the nozzle kit is the best. Easy to customize the flow rate and the pro mount makes it sooo easy to mount/dismount and solid pressure on the CPU.

Others make good blocks too. The Fuzion is REAL popular, like the pump we talked you into. I run the D5 vario and it's almost louder than my fans, has a quiet hum that is completely non-obtrusive. My 5 fans on low and the pump is very quiet.

Ohh if quiet matters, you need the Thermochill rad. Lowest fans for the best cooling. There are MANY really good reviews for rads out there. Have you spent a few hours googling?

I have to agree with the Thermochill Rad. I have the 120.2 and used low speed Late Yoons...quiet and cool.

Thermochill rads are the best of the best, for sure... But VERY expensive. I would look into Swiftech MCR rads first.

swiftech mcr320 outpreforms the thermochill 120.2 at over half the price and will be more than enough to cool your system, running one myself with fans off and load doesn't hit over 52c on my dual core amd 110w oc to almost 200w along with an hd3870 112mhz oc with load temps of 45 24h stress of cpu and gpu together

Have you spent a few hours googling?
I've spent many, many hours as prep for this project. Lots of google searches and forum reading.

Based on research it became apparent that the thermochill rads were the best, but just too expensive for me.

One thing i'm still struggling with through all of the online research is the difference between "best" and "very good."

"Very good" works for me if it is quiet and looks good, but not if it means broken pumps or cracked acrylic blocks.

run the D5 vario and it's almost louder than my fans, has a quiet hum that is completely non-obtrusive. My 5 fans on low and the pump is very quiet.

You had me so close, but now you'll have to give me a little more info <:) Are there pumps that really are silent that provide adequate flow and stable quality? I'd give up a couple of degrees to get rid of the hum.

(again, thanks for all the help...very good community here)

Are there pumps that really are silent that provide adequate flow and stable quality? I'd give up a couple of degrees to get rid of the hum.

(again, thanks for all the help...very good community here)

Either 9w or 18w, ddc/ddc+/mcp350/355 with optional top are quieter than mcp655/d5. The 9w mcp350/ddc is less noiser than 18w mcp355/ddc+

Sax, pls post your full specs and pictures. Ambients, blocks etc. Just want to see your secrets.

off topic/// Look a couple posts down and you'll see my setup plus stock temps, haven't got around to putting up my cpu o/c temps, will put up in the next day or so, still working on getting the highest I can get this processor to go, currently at 2607 from 2200 stock volts 1.35 current 1.57 with a little bit of vdroop. Will work on pics of the temp setup too.

on topic/// For your pump, if you want the best with almost no noise what-so-ever go iwaki, the jap versions are the best, will most likely need a step up/down converter tho as they run off of ac 220v instead of ac 110v, powerful beasts with low heat and very little noise, only reason I hear mine is because I have the dual head version and it's just sitting on top of my hdd bay and psu so a little vibration and slight humm, would guess about 14db.

on topic/// For your pump, if you want the best with almost no noise what-so-ever go iwaki, the jap versions are the best, will most likely need a step up/down converter tho as they run off of ac 220v instead of ac 110v, powerful beasts with low heat and very little noise, only reason I hear mine is because I have the dual head version and it's just sitting on top of my hdd bay and psu so a little vibration and slight humm, would guess about 14db.

OR the OP could pop for two 18W DDC's if he wants Iwaki performace without the space considerations, possible EM issues and pump modding. :) The other possible issue would be heat dump with a powerful pump(s). A 240 with anything other than high-flow, high pressure fans, and two blocks, may only yield moderate overall temps.

No em issues here with mine (not using common RD-20/30 series tho), plus the two 18w DDC's dump a lot more heat than a single iwaki does.

By common you mean in general use? It's not like I haven't seen them, but I wouldn't say Ikaki's are something an overly large cross section of water-cooling folks use. I might be wrong in this though. As far as EM I think you mentioned that yours was on a PSU. That implies that its generally away from the more sensitive areas of your case. I've got one DDC very close to my sound card, and the other perhaps 2-inches from 5 SATA connectors. I'll admit that I mounted them with industrial velcro just in case, but so far not a hum or corrupted sector. :-/

As far as heat dump, perhaps you're right. I've yet to find hard numbers for my pumps. Perhaps someone has? However, heat dump from a pump is managed the same way as a component block, by a large surface area coupled with the right fans. I'm tweaking and clocking-up my CPU right now, so we'll see what the ultimate result is. :burn:

it''s on top of my psu at the bottom of the case so it covers the bottom 3 in of the mobo it's also on top of my hdd and in front of the sata ports. By common I mean most water coolers use the RD-30/20 series, mine is much larger than those, about 12in long.

swiftech mcr320 outpreforms the thermochill 120.2 at over half the price and will be more than enough to cool your system, running one myself with fans off and load doesn't hit over 52c on my dual core amd 110w oc to almost 200w along with an hd3870 112mhz oc with load temps of 45 24h stress of cpu and gpu together

Hmmm...just read this. When I set my system up I researched this. Where did you get your info from? From what I recall the PA 120.2 was just as good if not better than other 3 fan rads...including the swifty.

Back