• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New setup Whats with software OC'ing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sniper308

Registered
ASUS M4A89TD-PRO, AMD 1090T, 8GB Patriot Sector 5 12800-1600MHz ram.

I used the utilities from ASUS in Win 7 ulti. I got the utility to OC to 4.1GHz stable but under load it drops to 3.4GHz. What gives. Went back to normal and did it again and when it rebooted it errored and said core unlocker can not unlock this CPU? WTF?

ASUS M4A89TD-PRO, AMD 1090T, 8GB Patriot Sector 5 12800-1600MHz ram.

I used the utilities from ASUS in Win 7 ulti. I got the utility to OC to 4.1GHz stable but under load it drops to 3.4GHz. What gives. Went back to normal and did it again and when it rebooted it errored and said core unlocker can not unlock this CPU? WTF?

It's being throttled back. Built in feature on some mobos that usually kicks in when CPU socket temp thresholds reach a dangerous level.

This is why you OC through the BIOS. No surprises or weird things. Software can be good for testing the waters but for a stable OC you want to OC through the BIOS.

Will do. So once I find a stable OC through software. Write down the values and try to duplicate them in the bios? Thanks.

Did you double check the core unlocker switch is set to off? It is supposed to be by default but you never know. According to the manual with that off even if you did turn it on in the BIOS it would not come on. Also did you update the BIOS to the newest one?

The ASUS software seems pretty good to work with but I wouldn't use it for more than doing increment overclocks. Use it for +5 moves or so but change everything in BIOS once you find good settings every 20 or so. Especially the voltages.

Nice board though isn't it. :D

I do know that those new six cores have more stuff to deal with when OC'ing like Turbo Core.

Good idea to do your BIOS OC incrementally and not just go straight for the values that the software gave you. They may not match up 100%.

Back