• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Using 1600MHz RAM with 1333MHz CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

matthew_d

OK I have been goggling this for about a week now and never got the answer I was looking for.

I bought a pre-built computer from Cyberpower and am looking to upgrade the RAM from 4gb to 8gb.
It has a ASUS M4N68T-M V2 motherboard:
(http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3/M4N68TM_V2/#specifications)
A AMD Athlon X2 260 CPU:
(http://shop.amd.com/us/All/Detail/Processor/ADX260OCK23GM?SearchFacets=category:Processor)
and I wan to add this RAM that I have already purchased: Patriot 8GB (2x 4GB) DDR 3 PC3-12800 (1600MHz) DIMM Kit:
(http://patriotmemory.com/products/detailp.jsp?prodline=3&catid=34&prodgroupid=113&id=1061&type=1)

All the numbers seem to be correct for compatibility except when I noticed that the CPU Bus Speed is 1333 and my RAM is 1600MHz.
So my question is will the Patriot RAM I got be compatible with with my motherboard/CPU? If so will I then be able to overclock to run at 1600 by configuring the BIOS?
Any help would be great.

Last edited:
Yes, it should work fine. You can run the memory at a different clockspeed than the CPU bus, resulting in more memory bandwidth.

Much older processors required that the two be the same speed, but for a while now it's been possible to run the memory at a different bus speed than the CPU. It looks like your motherboard will run memory up to 1800MHz.

There might not be significant gains by having faster memory, though the jump from 1333MHz to 1600MHz is beneficial in a lot of applications. The gains diminish as you go higher.

:welcome:

Practically all recent AMD CPUs (not sure about the Bulldozers) have a integrated memory controller (ICM) rated for 1333 mhz. That in and of itself does not preclude them from being able to run in a stable way with the ram at 1600 mhz. The Thuban core Phenom IIs were generally able to handle the the 1600 DDR3 data rate. The Athlon IIs and most Phenom IIs had trouble with it, but some Phenom IIs would, especially the X4 980. In other words not all 1333 mhz ICMs are created equal. I would be skeptical that the Athlon II X2 would be able to run stable with the ram at 1600 mhz.

Yes, it should work fine. You can run the memory at a different clockspeed than the CPU bus, resulting in more memory bandwidth.

Much older processors required that the two be the same speed, but for a while now it's been possible to run the memory at a different bus speed than the CPU. It looks like your motherboard will run memory up to 1800MHz.

There might not be significant gains by having faster memory, though the jump from 1333MHz to 1600MHz is beneficial in a lot of applications. The gains diminish as you go higher.
Alright thanks! I've also heard that the bios will automatically lower the clock rate of the RAM to match the CPU, everything in my BIOS is set to auto.

Practically all recent AMD CPUs (not sure about the Bulldozers) have a integrated memory controller (ICM) rated for 1333 mhz. That in and of itself does not preclude them from being able to run in a stable way with the ram at 1600 mhz. The Thuban core Phenom IIs were generally able to handle the the 1600 DDR3 data rate. The Athlon IIs and most Phenom IIs had trouble with it, but some Phenom IIs would, especially the X4 980. In other words not all 1333 mhz ICMs are created equal. I would be skeptical that the Athlon II X2 would be able to run stable with the ram at 1600 mhz.
Would would happen if I were to try it anyway and it isn't compatible?

System would be unstable probably. BSOD or you would have trouble booting into Windows. Your best bet to have it work would be to bump up the CPUNB voltage and/or relax the memory timings.

So why do you want to do this? It is unlikely that the X2 regor will even benefit from the extra bandwidth at 1600. It's just not that hungry. Might be better from a performance standpoint to go for the lower frequency with lower latencies. When you increase the frequency of ram the latencies rise with it.

Last edited:
System would be unstable probably. BSOD or you would have trouble booting into Windows. Your best bet to have it work would be to bump up the CPUNB voltage and/or relax the memory timings.

So why do you want to do this? It is unlikely that the X2 regor will even benefit from the extra bandwidth at 1600. It's just not that hungry. Might be better from a performance standpoint to go for the lower frequency with lower latencies. When you increase the frequency of ram the latencies rise with it.

Its is mostly cause I already bought the RAM and it cant be returned so wanted to see if it would work. Ill just put it on ebay and buy a 1333 set.
Thanks again.

Its is mostly cause I already bought the RAM and it cant be returned so wanted to see if it would work. Ill just put it on ebay and buy a 1333 set.
Thanks again.

Why? Like everyone else stated... Ur mobo, and ram are fine...if it runs on auto settings....it works. Either the bus is auto tuned to higher freq...or the ram is lowered to the bus
...save ur self the headache and use it- and in the next build too.:clap:

Thanks again.

Ram rated for 1600 mhz will run just fine at 1333 mhz. No need to sell it. Ram rated for a certain speed will run at that speed or at any speed lower than that. It doesn't just run at one speed. My car will run at a max of say 120 mph but it will also go slower than that.

When you get the 1600 ram just snap it in the slots on the motherboard and it should work just fine. It will default to 1333 anyway. 1600 is the XMP or overclocked rating of the ram which it will run at only if you manually manipulate settings.

Last edited:
Back