• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Skylake 6700k & MSi M9 ACK Build Will NOT Overclock at all. Major issues.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GenieGOR

New Skylake 6700k & MSi M9 ACK Build Will NOT Overclock at all. Major issues.

So I built another system. I sold the old one and built another. I had a MSi z170 X gaming titanium with a skylake 6700k. Stable @ 4.8ghz and the memory @ 3488mhz. 109 on the multiplier. I also noticed that when adding cpu vcore voltate it would not go RED until 1.45.

Now, with the new system. The RED on the cpu vcore starts at 1.35. I cant change it to anything. I gives me clock issues, tons of them. I tried leaving the base clock @ 100, and trying 44 multiplier for 4.4ghz. It will run. Only on AUTO for the cpu vcore. It is indeed showing 1.32 vcore voltage. I cant get it past 4.4ghz.

Is it the board, or cpu?

I got this board as I wanted Bluetooth and wifi and the xgaming titanium doesn't have it. I am now thinking if it is the board. I may stop buying MSi and grab a ASUS Maximus Hero or something that has wifi and is a stable overclocker. This board MSi M9 board is $400!

Thanks guys!

Why do you keep getting such expensive mobos??

That aside, the board will overclock. Have you updated the BIOS to the latest version?

And please update your signature. I am betting that in your other thread about the headers, its with this new board and not the XPower?

Why do you keep getting such expensive mobos??

That aside, the board will overclock. Have you updated the BIOS to the latest version?

And please update your signature. I am betting that in your other thread about the headers, its with this new board and not the XPower?

I sold the other system and built this one. I am just wondering why it seems less powerful than the Xpower as far as voltage and stability. I have the newest bios update too. 1.5

It isn't less power or stable. It overclocks just fine.

I guess i just lost the lottery then with the cpu? Why does the xpower have a red zone of 1.4 vcore and the M9 has 1.35? I may have to switch to ASUS anyway just because I need wifi for this build and also 2 usb headers. MSi doesnt have a board that has both wifi and 2 usb headers. The M9 was the only MSi option.

Because the XPower was made for "extreme" overclocking and this is just a regular board. The CPU is really what determines the limit, not the board. Sure some crap boards couldn't handle 1.45V, but, this isn't a garbage board.

Because the XPower was made for "extreme" overclocking and this is just a regular board. The CPU is really what determines the limit, not the board. Sure some crap boards couldn't handle 1.45V, but, this isn't a garbage board.

with cpu vcore on auto the cpu is @ 1.488 vcore clocked at 4.7ghz, at 4.6ghz vcore is @ 1.42, at 4.8ghz vcore is @ 1.52.

Don't overclock on auto...it will overvolt in favor of stability. Those volts are also way too high. For daily driving keep at 1.42V on down.

Don't overclock on auto...it will overvolt in favor of stability. Those volts are also way too high. For daily driving keep at 1.42V on down.

seems like I do have a power hungry cpu this time around. last time 1.42 was good for 4.8. Now I can barely get 4.4 or 4.5.

It's hard to tell what the issue is because two variables changed at once. Don't try to over clock this one to what the other system could do. You are going to need to start the process over again for this machine. I would start with Earth Dog's recommendation and manually set the voltage to 1.42 and then try 4.7GHz and see if that is stable.

Beyond that what is the temperature of the system at 4.6GHz? What are using to test stability?

It's hard to tell what the issue is because two variables changed at once. Don't try to over clock this one to what the other system could do. You are going to need to start the process over again for this machine. I would start with Earth Dog's recommendation and manually set the voltage to 1.42 and then try 4.7GHz and see if that is stable.

Beyond that what is the temperature of the system at 4.6GHz? What are using to test stability?

Testing Stability with Aida64 extreme. Temps around around 79 at full load, pushing hard. Sometimes less. Package temp is 93 degrees. Aida fails everytime after 30 seconds or so. Doesn't matter if I isolate the test to ram, fsb, or cpu. It all fails.

Last edited:
I tried setting the vcore to 1.42 and setting it to 4.1 ghz. It crashes in windows. Yet when I put it on AUTO for vcore. It starts windows fine and shows 1.32 vcore. I also get 1.42 vcore on AUTO @ 4.6ghz. It will not allow me to set anything manually.

I cant set any vcore manually or it will freeze in windows or crash loading up. Nothing works.

EDIT: on AUTO I can get 4.7ghz @ 1.425 vcore. I can stress the cpu by itself and the FPU, no crashes. As soon as I test the Cache it crashes AIDA.

Last edited:
I don't know if similar is happening here, but I have two MSI Z170A gaming pro mobos (bios 1.7). One does pretty much what you expect. You can change CPU and ram settings pretty much as you like. The 2nd mobo is not the same. I can overclock the CPU with ram at stock, or overclock ram with CPU at stock, but I can't set both at the same time and boot. If I set ram OC and then use Intel XTU to OC CPU in Windows, it is fine. Before anyone says it is the CPU or ram, I have swapped between them, and it is a difference in the mobo. I found one other user reporting exactly the same symptoms on MSI's forums so it seems I'm not alone in this.

So, while it is a different MSI mobo in this thread, I have to wonder if there is something going on with MSI Z170A overclocking boards. Obviously we don't have sample size to prove this, but personally I don't think I'd get another overclocking MSI board. I still like their low end non-overclocking ones though.

I don't know if similar is happening here, but I have two MSI Z170A gaming pro mobos (bios 1.7). One does pretty much what you expect. You can change CPU and ram settings pretty much as you like. The 2nd mobo is not the same. I can overclock the CPU with ram at stock, or overclock ram with CPU at stock, but I can't set both at the same time and boot. If I set ram OC and then use Intel XTU to OC CPU in Windows, it is fine. Before anyone says it is the CPU or ram, I have swapped between them, and it is a difference in the mobo. I found one other user reporting exactly the same symptoms on MSI's forums so it seems I'm not alone in this.

So, while it is a different MSI mobo in this thread, I have to wonder if there is something going on with MSI Z170A overclocking boards. Obviously we don't have sample size to prove this, but personally I don't think I'd get another overclocking MSI board. I still like their low end non-overclocking ones though.

Same here, also the msi gamping pro, but like you i find the midrage bords of msi good, real Xtreme bord comes more from the line of asus, gigabythe, evga but he what, thats just my opinon

The Xpower overclocked just fine. ;)

I'm sure this is a settings issue. I'd reset to factory defaults, then set voltage to manual, save it, and see if it takes. Then up your multi.

I just tried again. I cant set manual voltage at all. No matter what the value or clock. I set the multiplier to 44 @ 4.4ghz, cpu vcore, doesn't matter what I put there. I get machine_clock_exception, watchdog errors, kmode_exception_not_handled and all kinds of errors. Yet when I put the vcore to auto, everything works fine. 1.34 vcore @ 4.5ghz. If I manually enter 1.34 vcore it will crash. I am thinking there is a hardware issue here. This is bizarre.

So you reset cmos, and tried voltage only and stock cpu?

If so, reach out to msi....or post bios screenshots showing your major settings...

So you reset cmos, and tried voltage only and stock cpu?

If so, reach out to msi....or post bios screenshots showing your major settings...

So I loaded optimized defaults for the 2nd time. Then set multiplier to 45 to get 4.5ghz just left vcore @ auto. Turned xmp on (gskill 3200, 16gb ddr4). I saw after running aida for 25 minutes no crash cpu vcore showed 1.352. So I went into the bios and changed the vcore from auto to 1.375. Ran aida again. No crashes.

So I upped the multiplier to 47. 4.7ghz. cpu vcore running in aida shows 1.360 vcore. Stable. Running for 15 minutes now. Not sure what is going on. If it runs stable for 2 hours. Then I am going to change the base clock to 109, and multiplier to 44 to get the memory up to 3488 mhz like I did on the xpower. If it crashes I assume the ram is bad?

Why would you assume the ram is bad? What ram do you have? Can you create a signazure with your hardware specs please...

Perhaps post some cpuz shots of memory and SPD tabs...

Why are you touching bclk? You should slow down a bit and focus on one thing before bouncing around... Scary how scattered this testing seems (I need some coffee too).

Back