• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New System Advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HipsterDoofus

Registered
G'day Guys, been getting a lot of info together to build a new system. Please take a look to see if all is riggy didge.

CPU - Intel i7-875K

Case - Coolmaster HAF 932

Cooler - Corsair H50

PSU - Corsair HX1000

GPU - Asus EAH5850 DirectCU/2DIS/1GD5

Memory - Corsair CMD8GX3M4A1600C8 8gb

Board - Asus P7P55D-E Deluxe

OS - MS Windows 7 Pro 64-bit OEM

Hard Drive - WD VelociRaptor 150GB WD1500HLFS

That's about it for now. Budget is depleted.

Not big on gaming although I play the odd game. I do want to do a lot of video editing.

Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks. :)

It looks ok to me - although I would suggest replacing the 150 GB Raptor with a small (ca 60 GB) SSD and a larger 7200rpm HDD (say 500 GB) which would give you more storage space if you are working with lots of video and probably improve the general speed of the computer when opening applications etc.

Thanks David. Will look into that. Those SSDs are just so damn expensive especially down here.

I was thinking also to down the PSU to 850 as I won't be running multiple video cards. That will give me an extra $100 or so.

Thanks David. Will look into that. Those SSDs are just so damn expensive especially down here.

I was thinking also to down the PSU to 850 as I won't be running multiple video cards. That will give me an extra $100 or so.

I agree about the PSU. I'm running a quality 750, and it's more than enough. Two ok'ed 4890s in X-Fire can really suck down the juice, but I've yet to have an issue. It look s good for an Intel build, lol! Just kidding, if your coding video thats the way to go.

xokeman the psu was bothering me too.

Got rid of the VelociRaptor. Added an Intel X25-V 40GB 34nm MLC SSD for booting. Also a WD Caviar Black 1TB WD1002FAEX for storage.

As for the PSU I have dumped the HX1000.

Any opinions about these two-

1/ CoolerMaster Silent Pro M850

2/ Thermaltake ToughPower XT 875W PSU

Both are around the same price & over $100 cheaper than the HX1000.

xokeman the psu was bothering me too.

Got rid of the VelociRaptor. Added an Intel X25-V 40GB 34nm MLC SSD for booting. Also a WD Caviar Black 1TB WD1002FAEX for storage.

As for the PSU I have dumped the HX1000.

Any opinions about these two-

1/ CoolerMaster Silent Pro M850

2/ Thermaltake ToughPower XT 875W PSU

Both are around the same price & over $100 cheaper than the HX1000.

I've had great luck with Thermaltake PSUs...that said, never had a bad time with a Coolermaster. My old bench rig was a Thermaltake 750...it did I everything I asked of it.

I'm now quite on the SSD bandwagon yet. Yes, they are way faster, but the performance per gigabyte isn't there just yet for me. I might steer clear of them until you can afford two of them to put in RAID 0. You will be fine either way really, I just don't like installing programs on any drive other than the C: drive...which is what you will have to do because 40gb will get filled up quick. I'm sure 10 or 15 people will disagree with me, lol, thats just my opinion. I'd go with a 300gb Raptor and plan to upgrade it in a year when the SSDs have come down.

Now, if I had enough money to jump into a pair of 120-128gb ones, I'd be SSD all the way...I just don't see the point of a 40gb one.

Thanks for all the feedback. Appreciate it.

This is what I opted for>

POWER SUPPLY: / Corsair HX-850 Power Supply

CPU: / Intel i7-875K

CASE: / Coolmaster HAF 932

Cooler: / Corsair H50

GPU: / Asus EAH5850 DirectCU/2DIS/1GD5

Memory: / Corsair CMD8GX3M4A1600C8 8gb

Mother Board: / Asus P7P55D-E Deluxe

Operating System: / MS Windows 7 Pro 64-bit OEM

Hard Drive: / WD VelociRaptor 150GB WD1500HLFS (will upgrade to two SSDs when the price drops)

Pick all the parts up either today or tomorrow.

Thanks for all the feedback. Appreciate it.

This is what I opted for>

POWER SUPPLY: / Corsair HX-850 Power Supply

CPU: / Intel i7-875K

CASE: / Coolmaster HAF 932

Cooler: / Corsair H50

GPU: / Asus EAH5850 DirectCU/2DIS/1GD5

Memory: / Corsair CMD8GX3M4A1600C8 8gb

Mother Board: / Asus P7P55D-E Deluxe

Operating System: / MS Windows 7 Pro 64-bit OEM

Hard Drive: / WD VelociRaptor 150GB WD1500HLFS (will upgrade to two SSDs when the price drops)

Pick all the parts up either today or tomorrow.

Looks very good and well balanced to me!

Back