• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New system build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dravenspur

It turns out my mobo might have failed. I replaced the PSU and my computer still won't show video. Unless just the video card failed. I suppose that's possible. Anyway, I could use some recommendations for a new build. I have a micro ATX form factor case, so the mobo has to be mATX or ITX. I had an Intel i7 CPU. I suppose that still works. Has anyone had luck transferring CPU's between builds? Or when I go for a new mobo,, do I go for a new CPU as well? I was thinking of going for one of the new x570 chipsets from AMD, but those aren't out yet, of course. Also, the Ryzen 3000 processors won't be out for a while anyway, so I'd have to go for a Ryzen 2 processor if I wanted to switch. Can a few people recommend a new motherboard and processor for a new build? Since I can't get the Ryzen 3 processors yet, I guess I can stick with Intel...unless people really like the Ryzen 2 processors in their builds now. I use my build mostly for gaming. Any recommendations would be very appreciated. Thank you.

Let's start by troubleshooting your existing system.

Unless you really just don't want to put any more energy down that route, then please give us some usage information and budget, such as what games you play, what framerate/refresh is acceptable and @ what resolution.

To troubleshoot the old system, please post full system specs including model numbers. Also including the old and new PSUs. You can use my signature to see what all we like to know about. You say it won't show video, do the fans spin? Does the power light come on, does the motherboard light come on? Have you tried a different display? Are their any diagnostic features built into your motherboard (this we can find out via the model number). Has the system's behavior changed at all since replacing the PSU? Do you know someone who would let you test your GPU in their rig?

What are the main tasks you perform with the computer?

What kind of budget are you on?

Please outline your current computer's specs so we can gauge where you are coming from and what you might be expecting by way of performance upgrade with the new system you are planning. Intel i7 what. Intel has made i7 CPUs for a long time now.

What would you be carrying over from the present system?

Some things to consider:
1. If top tier gaming is your goal, you still might want to stick with Intel as their high end CPUs still offer a modest per core advantage over Ryzen. Not that Ryzen is a poor choice for gamers because it isn't.
2. If you do tasks that are creative such as video editing you might lean toward Ryzen because of all the low cost per core. Most creative content software makes good use of lots of cores.
3. If money is tight you probably want to go for Ryzen.
4. If you go for Ryzen, get the best 400 class motherboard you can afford so that you will be able upgrade to Zen 2 when it comes out (supposedly in July) you will be in a good position to take advantage of the new chip's extra performance.

Let's start by troubleshooting your existing system.

Unless you really just don't want to put any more energy down that route, then please give us some usage information and budget, such as what games you play, what framerate/refresh is acceptable and @ what resolution.

To troubleshoot the old system, please post full system specs including model numbers. Also including the old and new PSUs. You can use my signature to see what all we like to know about. You say it won't show video, do the fans spin? Does the power light come on, does the motherboard light come on? Have you tried a different display? Are their any diagnostic features built into your motherboard (this we can find out via the model number). Has the system's behavior changed at all since replacing the PSU? Do you know someone who would let you test your GPU in their rig?

I added my specs to my signature now. I have tested a second monitor as well as on board video (without my GPU installed) and still no video shows up. Fan spins on the CPU and the video card and mobo light up correctly when I turn on the machine. I thought my PSU was the problem (I had a EVGA G2 850W) so I bought the G3. My case fans aren’t spinning when I turn on the machine, but I thought they would only spin with increased load (like my GPU), so I don’t think that’s the problem. I would have thought the video card failed, but like I said, I tested the onboard video as well and that didn’t work either, so that is why I think the mobo failed.

I’m really looking at switching to AMD unless, as I mentioned, people have had success moving CPU’s between boards. If I have to get a new mobo and processor, the Ryzen 2 chips are looking pretty good with price to performance ratio (with the possibility of upgrading to Ryzen 3 soon). My main task with my desktop is gaming, so I’d like to get solid, semi (if not absolute) high end motherboard and processor to keep up with games coming out in the near future.

Sure, you can move CPUs from one board to the other as long as the socket and chipset generation is the same or compatible. But putting in a new board, whether you stay with Intel or go with AMD will deactivate your current copy of Windows.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

What memory frequency are you using? Ryzen begs for higher speed memory and it makes a considerable difference in performance, unlike Intel. You'd want 3200-3466 mhz RAM.

The Rx 480 will be the bottleneck in gaming most likely, not the CPU.

Back