• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New system not working. Please help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

touser

Hello all, i am building a new system. I put everything in, it booted the first time, all the system/cpu temps where fine, i set the boot order to boot off the cd-rom to install XP, and made sure the hdd and cd-rom where detected correctly. When the system powers up it takes a fairly long time just to detect the hdd and cd-rom, probably about 30 seconds. Then it refuses to boot off of the XP cd, which my current system in my sig boots off of with no problems whatsoever. I went back into the bios and into the hdd area and hit enter to have it search for the hdd and it fails to find it every time, however if i reboot the system it does find it on POST. I then went to western digital's website and downloaded their utility and ran the tests and everything checked out as fine. Does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong? Thanks in advance! :)
System specs:

motherboard: Gigabyte GA-7VAXP, VIA KT400 chipset 8X AGP ATX
video card: PNY GeForce 4, 8X AGP. Ti 4200
PSU: Antec P4 ATX12V 450 Watt
processor: AMD ATHLON XP 2400+/266 FSB PROCESSOR
ram: KINGSTON KVR333X64C25/512 512MB 32x64 PC2700 DDR RAM
floppy: SONY 1.44MB 3.5 INCH INTERNAL FDD DRIVE
hard drive: WD WESTERN DIGITAL "SPECIAL EDITION" 80GB 7200RPM EIDE HARD DRIVE
monitor: Viewsonic P95F+ 19"
cd-rw: AOPEN CDRW 48x12x50
sound card: CREATIVE LABS SOUND BLASTER AUDIGY

It might be the wrong jumper settings....ususally when the bios takes that long to detect a Hdd or cd rw it is one of the drives has the wrong jumper or one of the drivers is about to die.

and make sure your IDE's are plugged in tight..they may be touchcing enough but not completely firm

I had a friend with a similar problem. His mobo did not like master/slave settings on the drives. I would say make sure to set the drives to cable select. Make sure you use 80 conductor cables and they are plugged in firmly. Clear the CMOS and then try to install WinXP.

I assume that your mobo has 100 or 133 udma ide ports along with standard ide ports. Try plugging your hard drive into the standard ide port. If the drive is detected there, then either the high speed port is bad or you don't have the correct drivers installed.

Back