• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New system with NForce chipset.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TaCoSwInDeZ

Ok so I built the computer in my sig a little over a year ago and its already outdated pretty badly besides the GPU which is still kinda of a middle of the road choice even if the price has dropped nearly a 1/3 since I purchased it.

But anyway for my new built I want to switch to AM3 with native DDR3 support so ive chosen this board to hold a Phenom II 955BE, and I plan to use this memory to go along with it.

The reason I chose this board is because I wanted a native SLI board in case I one day decided to just get another GPU like my current one since prices have dropped instead of upgrading, however its possible I may upgrade anyway seeing as how I think this particular graphics card has some hardware issues.

Is there any downfalls that you guys can think of besides Nforce boards not being quite as energy efficient (not that I really care about that anyway, if I did I would'nt O/C my hardware to begin with).

There are no downfalls to what you are building at all. Great system! However there are other options in that same exact price range that are better performing.

SLI i5 board ($140) + i5 750 ($199. $150 if you have a Microcenter near you) + DDR3 = same cost but a better performer.

Otherwise, looks like a winner!

I haven't completely got my heart set on another AMD system yet. When I first started thinking about upgrading I had pieced together an I7 system for just under 700 for Mobo, CPU/RAM which wasn't too bad I thought considering the performance of the I7 platform.

Well, I will let the "AMD guys" come on in and help you out. Like I said, you cant go wrong with AM3 based 955BE though.

Always get the best you can afford is my motto. And the AM3 platform vs. i5 at this time seems to have a little bit more going for as far as the futureproofing is concerned. i7, Socket 1366 however is another story and costs a bit more.

Yea, there really is just so many options im just trying to get an idea of where I want to go with this. The last 2 machines I built were AMD and they never let me down performance wise, and since the most intensive thing I do is game I really should be worried more about the Graphics choice but I just took up using the BOINC client for SETI and Rosetta for website's team and I want to do the most with what I can get.

Back