• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to AMD, is this an OK overclock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

smokeeye

Registered
Hello all

As title suggests, I'm completely new to the AMD cpus and just recently bought an FX8320 paired up with M5A99FX EVO Rev 2.0 MB, 16GB Corsair 1666mhz (CL9) RAM and a Gigabyte Windforce R9 270x GPU.

Though currently running with stock HSF I tried to give a small overclock to my CPU, and I have it now stable on 4.2ghz with 1.22V.

Is that an ok OC for those that are experienced with AMD (using stock cooler)?

Edit: Corrected information.

Last edited:
I mean, is it stable? Seems fine to me if its stable... you are on the stock cooler so not much more you cna do. What are temps under stress testing?

Hehe, was just reading my other thread on here from 2012, whereas you were to an great assistance aswell! :)

I've run it through IBT and it came out stable, with IBT it went up to 70c at max, in gaming (BF4 and Rome 2, cpu dependent games) it will go to about 54c after some hours.

We generally use P95 blend for a stress test and HWmonitor. If that was the package temp that's really pushing what we like to see for day to day use. Preferrably 62c or less for the CPU cores(package) and 70 for CPUTIN. You really should invest in a better cooler.

I shall see if I can make it run a P95 test tonight.
And I already have an eye out for a cooler, just having some fun with my current setup.

Though reading around about FX8320 and overclocking I have yet to see anyone mentioning a vCore below 1.3v. And I'm running 1.22..

So I tried pushing it just a few notches up, but it always results in a BSOD/crash. So it seems that 4.2 w/ 1.22v is the way to go until I recieve a new cooler.

Definately wait for a new cooler, and I'd be surprised if that makes it through P95 blend TBH. Part will depend on if you've left your CPU LLC on auto. The system will add voltage above what you've set, under load, if that's the case.

My LLC is set to "extreme high" - 130%. Following the Bulldozer guide.

And using CPUz, HWmonitor & OCCT it shows a stable 1.22v, under load aswell idle.

If it's at extreme the voltage at Idle and load won't be the same I have that board, it'll add quite a bit when set to extreme.

Open Hwmonitor and run prime blend 20 minutes, then post a screen shot of the Hwmonitor, it will give us a better idea of what the rig is doing under load. If the Cputin/Socket temp goes above 70 or the Package temp goes above 62 then stop the test, but still post it here. Here's how to post a screen shot.

Ok. First off, I ran the Small FFT and I see now that you mentioned blend. Hope that it doesn't maky any difference regarding what we're checking out here.
Secondly, I looked "after 72c" temp as max instead of 62c heh. And thirdly, I forgot to start HWM before some minutes in, hence the obscure minimum rating.

I can aswell see that my vCore were raised to 1.236, up from 1.224.

Screenshot attached.

Attachments

• test.jpg
    test.jpg
    407.3 KB · Views: 104
I would like to add that the Package temp was hovering around 66c about all the time except for 1 minute before I ended the test, when it started a new "thread" (or what it's called), then it instantly spiked up to 75c for some reason.

EDIT: I tried to run the Blend test, and it immediately gave me an error:

[Mon Feb 03 21:01:18 2014]
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.
--

Though I can't find any stress.txt file anywhere.

Last edited:
Update:

Managed to run the Blend test with my next try, don't know why it was failing the first time? I read somewhere that it may mean a low vCore?

Either way, screenshot attached.

Attachments

• test2.jpg
    test2.jpg
    433.8 KB · Views: 103
Who knows with blend as it tests memory as well as CPU... if you want to see if it is a vcore issue, use small FFT as that is CPU only with little memory tested.

Well to start with you're way too hot, hitting 70 on thr package and mid 80's on the socket. Try opening your case and getting some air into it.

Back