• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to AMD, is this an OK overclock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Oh I know just thought with a bit of air flow it might help bring the temps down a bit.

This is WAY WAY WAY too hot!!!
^^^^^This^^^^^^, I would seriously consider dropping that thing back to default clock speeds until you get a better cooler. I would also drop them to default and then run prime again to see where the temps are. What case is it in?

Good morning all

Under load during usage (not stress testing) I have yet to see it above 55c, that is after I'd guess 3-4 hours of gaming in BF4. There's a big gap from my results in IBT/Prime and actual use. I don't know if that's important or not.

And I do have 2 fans installed as I've got the Fractal design R4 case.

I will try to get it back to all stock, then test with Prime once again.

Ok, here it is.

Though I see from CPUid that my Turbo core didn't get activated (it should boost up to 4ghz, right?). It was constantly on 3.5ghz.
I loaded optimized defaults in BIOS, and have set the power plan in Windows to "high performance".

Screenshot attached.

Attachments

• test3.jpg
    test3.jpg
    540.6 KB · Views: 37
your not running p95 long enough, there is a spot out at abot 27 minutes that loads the cpu very heavy so please run it the asked 20 minutes at least.

you also need to besure the system is heat soaked by running p95 these longer runs.

Yes, C_D is correct.

The longer you run prime95 (up till about four hours) usually will mean you have a more stable system. It also gives you a good temp range to work with and see what you might need to do.

Why up till about four hours? It is my personal belief that, past that point, prime95 will fail at some point, but it's not because of system stability (ok, actually it is, but you're asking it to at that point). It's practically a diminishing returns kinda deal. After about four hours your temps more than likely won't be getting much higher and you might be getting a little antsy.

You're going to need more airflow in that case. It is specifically designed to be silent with limited airflow. Higher CFM Fans for the actual case would help the air flow tremendously. If and when you decide you want a tower cooler or all-in-one your going to need higher Static Pressure fans to keep 'er kool.

Also, I ain't seeing any specs. All I know is your running 83XX with a stock cooler but who knows what else. GPU? It can definitely contribute to the standing airflow in the case. You can put that stuff in the signature by going to the top of the dash board and hit "quick links". There should be an "Edit Profile" up there where you can put your rig in the sig (Ha, I'm a rhyming beast!). It should look like mine and the rest of us down below.

Most air coolers will be saturated after about 15-30 minutes really. However, P95 has a run in there that gets things cooking around 30 minutes in. I would test for temps for 45 mins. Stability, that is up to you. Some say 1 hour, others say 24. I found if I pass 8 hours of P95, I don't tend to have issues with MY PC. and how I use it.

I'll say, that socket temp is too high to allow an OC on the stock cooler.

Need to get a good cooler and both package and socket will drop drastically.

Back