• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new to overclocking - limit on Coolbits overclocking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eliot1785

Hi there,

I am new to the world of overclocking, and have just discovered nVidia's Coolbits feature. It's pretty awesome, but I seem to have run into either a limitation or a bug:

When I turn on the manual overclocking settings, it makes me test the settings before I can apply them. That's all well and good, but it seems to have some built-in limits (less than the limits of the Coolbits slidebar itself) as to how high I can drive the MHz.

The manufacturer's settings for my graphics card (GeForce Go 7900 GS) are 507 MHz for the memory clock frequency and 375 MHz for the 3D clock frequency. It finds 581-412 as the "optimum" settings. I'm able to push the sliders up to 623-432 if I increase the clock bit by bit (it won't let me do it all at once), but if I go anywhere beyond that, it will automatically reduce it after I click the "test" button. I'm pretty sure that means I can't apply higher settings... right? If so, is there any way to override this or should I not be trying? Temperature-wise, things are ok (I'm monitoring it with i8kfanGUI and I never even get "fast" fan speeds... the cooling in Dell's e1705 is great). Do I need to add more voltage or something?

Also - Do I need to keep those two clock speeds in some kind of ratio?

Finally... after I hit "apply," regardless of the settings, the sliders return to the default. I'm assuming that's just a bug...? Is there any way to know what the *real* MHz of my graphics card is at any given time, the way i8KfanGUI does it for the GPU? I can't find any utility that will do that. It'd certainly be helpful.

Thanks for your help!!

Stephen

Thanks for the tip... how does that compare to NVMax? That's another name I've seen mentioned...

Rivatuner rocks!!! First utility to support fan control and OCing on the 8800 series and have them actually stick after each reboot.

Ok... I have been trying to get RivaTuner to work and it doesn't seem to be working. I thought I increased the CPU Core frequency, but I ran 3DMark before and after and got the exact same score (well... 1 point higher).

Then I went back to RivaTuner and the MHz was back to the default settings!! It turns out when I apply the settings and close, and then open again, it will always go back to the old settings!

Can anybody help me? Thanks...

PS: The hardware monitor in RivaTuner also doesn't work. It doesn't have any data.

Update: It turns out the hardware monitor DOES work, I was just confused because it had the video card as working at 0 MHz. But it spikes up when I force it to do something (e.g. test a new speed).

HOWEVER, unfortunately this has allowed me to prove that I am never actually overclocking it. When I test the "new" speeds, it only spikes up to the old ones. So it looks like changing the settings under RivaTuner isn't actually doing anything. Any clue what could be the problem?

Second update: It turns out that the reason I can't change anything is that Dell locked the clocks for the GPU in addition to the CPU. That's aggravating, although Dell gave me this computer for free (!) so I can't really complain.

Anyway, I did find some instructions for overriding that with the BIOS, so I'm gonna check that out:

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=11525

Wish me luck...
Stephen

WOW, I did not know that it was even possible to do that. Are you sure you ticked off the check mark in the "Apply Overclocking at Windows Startup"?

eliot1785 said:
Second update: It turns out that the reason I can't change anything is that Dell locked the clocks for the GPU in addition to the CPU. That's aggravating, although Dell gave me this computer for free (!) so I can't really complain.

Anyway, I did find some instructions for overriding that with the BIOS, so I'm gonna check that out:

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=11525

Wish me luck...
Stephen

Try "systool" and see if it overrides it.

Back