• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to water cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Maldark

Registered
Hi there

I'm going to buy the R9 290x and I'd love to water cool it. I am, however, new to it all. I've been watching hours of guides the past week so I've got a pretty good idea of what to do.

I've got the following components:

Mobo: ASUS Maximus V Formula
Case: Corsair 550D
HDD: 500GB WD HDD
HDD#2: 4TB WD RED
SSD: 240GB Intel Solid-State Drive 520 Series
CPU: I7 3770k
RAM: 32GB 1600 MHz (some corsair ones)
PSU: Corsair AX1200W gold

GPU: well that's a tricky one. I am going to buy the R9 290X which I would like to have water cooled. I also have a 7950 (had two for litecoin mining, but one was RMA'ed and refunded. I am going to replace that with a R9 280x)

I would like to have all the GPU's as well as the CPU water cooled, but is that even possible? First of all, is it possible for me to fit the three GPU's in the case/mobo? I think it is, seeing as there are 3 16x PCI-E slots, but the lower one is very close to the PSU, will this be a problem?

Anyway, is it "possible" to do a custom water cooling loop in the 550D without having to make permanent changes to the case? as in having to cut stuff out. I also have 3 HDD/SSD total so I do need one of the harddrive bays.

Water cooling them all might be a bit too expensive, so I might just go with the 290x and the 280x, but what components would you say that I should get? As I said this is my first experience with water cooling, so I don't know much.

So far I'm thinking of going with the following:

http://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-fc-r9-290x-acetal-nickel.html
and
http://www.ekwb.com/shop/blocks/vga...00-series/ek-fc7970-matrix-acetal-nickel.html

Haven't decided what CPU block, reservoir and pump I need (possibly a reservoir and pump in one??), so I am very open to suggestions. I'm also open for suggestions for the GPU blocks, these are just the ones I've looked at so far.

Anyway I hope someone is able to help me. I greatly appreciate your time, thanks :)

Kind regards
Alexander

Welcome to OCFs!

You can get away with cooling a CPU + GPU in that case. For a setup like that 120.3 is a minimum for cooling the CPU and GPU. It will be a tight fit as I've seen a few put a 120.2 up top and a 120.1 at the back while keeping your HD drive bays intact. If noise isn't a issue I'd look at high FPI radiators and mid/high RPM fans. Most of us like our systems silent but are a few that don't care about noise.

I wouldn't add more than 1 GPU for a setup like that. Wouldn't have enough room without modding the case or hanging radiators outside.

I'd look for a dual bay reservoir with a pump combo or rear adaptor.

Let us know what budget, performance (delta temps) and noise level you're looking for.

Welcome to OCFs!

You can get away with cooling a CPU + GPU in that case. For a setup like that 120.3 is a minimum for cooling the CPU and GPU. It will be a tight fit as I've seen a few put a 120.2 up top and a 120.1 at the back while keeping your HD drive bays intact. If noise isn't a issue I'd look at high FPI radiators and mid/high RPM fans. Most of us like our systems silent but are a few that don't care about noise.

I wouldn't add more than 1 GPU for a setup like that. Wouldn't have enough room without modding the case or hanging radiators outside.

I'd look for a dual bay reservoir with a pump combo or rear adaptor.

Let us know what budget, performance (delta temps) and noise level you're looking for.

Hi there and thank you for the welcome : )

First of all, by 120.x I assume you mean x amount of 120mm radiators? as in 120.3 can be a 240 and a 120 or one big 360.

Secondly, I'd like my system silent, that's is one of the primary reasons why I am switching to water cooling.

Since posting this I have done some thinking though and this is what I've come up with:

I am going to buy a R9 290 (instead of the 290x, which saves a bit of money on that end) and a block for that as well. I am then going to buy a CPU block as well instead of watercooling another GPU (as you said, it might be a bit much to ask of so few radiators).

I am thinking the following:

It's hard to say a specific number when we're talking budget, but I'm a student working a maximum of 8 hours a week (legally not allowed to work more here) at the local municipality - that nets me a maximum of €300 a month. I am, however, willing to throw some money at it up front (I have the money saved up already for this).

I've made a little sketch of how I think it could be done: a4IKIWO.png (The upper hdd bay is removed in my case)

So, what do you think?

Kind regards

Hi there and thank you for the welcome : )

Hey sure, no problem. ;)

First of all, by 120.x I assume you mean x amount of 120mm radiators? as in 120.3 can be a 240 and a 120 or one big 360.

That is correct. 120.3 total is 120mm times 3 or 240+120/360 etc. That's the lingo we use around here.

Secondly, I'd like my system silent, that's is one of the primary reasons why I am switching to water cooling.

Sounds good. You will be amazed how quiet a system can be on full load and keeping the temps much lower than on air.

On that note, this will require low FPI radiators and low/mid RPM fans.

Since posting this I have done some thinking though and this is what I've come up with:

I am going to buy a R9 290 (instead of the 290x, which saves a bit of money on that end) and a block for that as well. I am then going to buy a CPU block as well instead of watercooling another GPU (as you said, it might be a bit much to ask of so few radiators).

Case Permitting and budget a CPU + GPU only loop should be just fine.

You could spend a bit on a newer lower profile pump that has more head pressure and can be mounted on a dual bay reservoir so you don't have to move any hard drive trays.

Reservoir Pump or Reservoir #2 (With pump already installed)

The GPU and CPU blocks are fine choices. Just make sure you find out which GPU you're going to purchase and if the full water block is compatible.

The radiators are good choices and low FPI. Make sure you measure your case on how much room you have up top + 25mm for the fan space before it hits your MB. Same thing goes for your rear. Low FPI radiators are usually thick so you have to measure how thick they are and add +25mm for a single fan or 50mm added for push and pull.

Important thing about radiator fans is static pressure. I would take a look at the Helix120 or the premium AP-15s. I've even heard the Noiseblockers are nice but haven't seen too many reviews on them.

Tubing and fittings match so they are fine. The tubing you chose is of the newest in the market. I use Primochill Advanced too. Really good tubing if not the best out there. Just be careful of kinks that might happen when routing and make sure it's sealed tight, of course.

It's hard to say a specific number when we're talking budget, but I'm a student working a maximum of 8 hours a week (legally not allowed to work more here) at the local municipality - that nets me a maximum of €300 a month. I am, however, willing to throw some money at it up front (I have the money saved up already for this).

I've made a little sketch of how I think it could be done: a4IKIWO.png (The upper hdd bay is removed in my case)

So, what do you think?

Kind regards

No point in removing the HD trays as you probably need to remove them both just to fit a single 120mm radiator so there's no point.

I did some math here and your total comes out to about 1400 USD to get a rough idea. Of course that's including a GPU but with some premium H20 components. The items I have posted might bring it up a bit but are premium water cooling components that should last you years if maintained properly and give you a cleaner much easier installation than routing cables all around the HD area and bottom of the case.

Loop order doesn't really matter as long as the pump is before the reservoir but nonetheless you can make the routing cleaner and simpler. With that said I'd say you should do the Dual bay reservoir with the pump on the back of it will feed a line to the GPU, keeping the same order as you illustrated in the picture of the GPU going to the back radiator than to the CPU and back to the top radiator than heading back to the dual bay reservoir and wallah! Done. Keep it clean and as simple as possible.

Have any questions with certain parts or want to see some reviews, please take a look at this helpful site. Martinsliquidlab

Hope to hear from you soon and hope this helps.

Sounds good. You will be amazed how quiet a system can be on full load and keeping the temps much lower than on air.

On that note, this will require low FPI radiators and low/mid RPM fans.
How low are we talking and how efficient should they be (I think it is meassured in CFM??) The ones I'm currently looking at are these: http://shop.coolgamers.dk/luftkoling/blaesere/120mm/arctic-f12-120mm-609.html
these are the specifications:
RPM: 300-1350 rpm
Air current: 57 CFM
Noise Level: 19 dB
Lifetime: 400.000 hours normally 50.000 timer
Dimensions: 120 mm L x 120 mm W x 25 mm H

They are 45DKK which is about $8.10 (that is very cheap I think?)

Case Permitting and budget a CPU + GPU only loop should be just fine.
What exactly do you mean by this?

You could spend a bit on a newer lower profile pump that has more head pressure and can be mounted on a dual bay reservoir so you don't have to move any hard drive trays.

Reservoir Pump or Reservoir #2 (With pump already installed)
Would this one do? http://www.coolerkit.dk/shop/xspc-x2o-750-2888p.html
Sorry for the language, I'm danish and I'd very much like to order most of the parts off danish websites as they are under danish law - which means that if anything is wrong with it within the first two to three years, I can simply return it and they are legally obliged to fix it, give me a new product(same or better) or give me my money back. I also have 14 days to "regret" the purchase and return the goods without having to pay for anything except the shipping : )

The GPU and CPU blocks are fine choices. Just make sure you find out which GPU you're going to purchase and if the full water block is compatible.

The GPU I am going to buy is going to be reference design, so it should fit. The 290x water block is compatible with the 290(non-x)

The radiators are good choices and low FPI. Make sure you measure your case on how much room you have up top + 25mm for the fan space before it hits your MB. Same thing goes for your rear. Low FPI radiators are usually thick so you have to measure how thick they are and add +25mm for a single fan or 50mm added for push and pull.

I'll try to measure it if I can get my hands on something to measure it with, I'll have to get back to you on that one. Also I am not planning to go for push-pull, only one. The radiators I've found are both 47mm which and the fans 25mm summing up to a total of 72mm required.

Important thing about radiator fans is static pressure. I would take a look at the Helix120 or the premium AP-15s. I've even heard the Noiseblockers are nice but haven't seen too many reviews on them.
Static preasure, is that the CFM?

Tubing and fittings match so they are fine. The tubing you chose is of the newest in the market. I use Primochill Advanced too. Really good tubing if not the best out there. Just be careful of kinks that might happen when routing and make sure it's sealed tight, of course.
Awesome : )

No point in removing the HD trays as you probably need to remove them both just to fit a single 120mm radiator so there's no point.
I've already removed the top one for regular air flow (didn't need it so no point in having it there)

Here's a picture of the front from corsairs 550D product page: http://cwsmgmt.corsair.com/media/catalog/product/d/e/detail_550d_frontfans_2.png, wouldn't that be able to fit a radiator?

I did some math here and your total comes out to about 1400 USD to get a rough idea. Of course that's including a GPU but with some premium H20 components. The items I have posted might bring it up a bit but are premium water cooling components that should last you years if maintained properly and give you a cleaner much easier installation than routing cables all around the HD area and bottom of the case.
I truly appreciate it, thank you : )

Loop order doesn't really matter as long as the pump is before the reservoir but nonetheless you can make the routing cleaner and simpler. With that said I'd say you should do the Dual bay reservoir with the pump on the back of it will feed a line to the GPU, keeping the same order as you illustrated in the picture of the GPU going to the back radiator than to the CPU and back to the top radiator than heading back to the dual bay reservoir and wallah! Done. Keep it clean and as simple as possible.
By "before" you mean as in Reservoir -> Pump -> GPU -> Radiator -> CPU -> Radiator -> Reservoir right?

Have any questions with certain parts or want to see some reviews, please take a look at this helpful site. Martinsliquidlab

Hope to hear from you soon and hope this helps.

Thanks will have a look and thank you again for your assistance :)

How low are we talking and how efficient should they be (I think it is meassured in CFM??) The ones I'm currently looking at are these: http://shop.coolgamers.dk/luftkoling/blaesere/120mm/arctic-f12-120mm-609.html
these are the specifications:
RPM: 300-1350 rpm
Air current: 57 CFM
Noise Level: 19 dB
Lifetime: 400.000 hours normally 50.000 timer
Dimensions: 120 mm L x 120 mm W x 25 mm H

They are 45DKK which is about $8.10 (that is very cheap I think?)

When you look for good case fans than you look at CFM. When it comes down to radiator fans you want the best static pressure possible for said RPM speed.

I don't know too much about those fans. Look at the link I posted on my last post. They do radiator fan reviews.

What exactly do you mean by this?

I basically mean since your said case is already being used, a CPU + GPU only loop should be fine. Anything more won't fit.

Would this one do? http://www.coolerkit.dk/shop/xspc-x2o-750-2888p.html
Sorry for the language, I'm danish and I'd very much like to order most of the parts off danish websites as they are under danish law - which means that if anything is wrong with it within the first two to three years, I can simply return it and they are legally obliged to fix it, give me a new product(same or better) or give me my money back. I also have 14 days to "regret" the purchase and return the goods without having to pay for anything except the shipping : )

Not a fan of the 750 pump but that kit is ok. The tubing and fans that come with it suck. It's a good affordable beginners kit but not of high quality imo. I would look for the one with the D5 pump on it. I would stick with buying each individual part if you want to do this right.

Static preasure, is that the CFM?

No. Static pressure is the continuous amount of energy the fan creates to go through the radiator. Air pressure in layman's terms.

Here's a picture of the front from corsairs 550D product page: http://cwsmgmt.corsair.com/media/catalog/product/d/e/detail_550d_frontfans_2.png, wouldn't that be able to fit a radiator?

Always remember a radiators length always sticks out at the top and bottom. So when you see the fan holes, that will not be the length of the radiators actual size.

By "before" you mean as in Reservoir -> Pump -> GPU -> Radiator -> CPU -> Radiator -> Reservoir right?

Thanks will have a look and thank you again for your assistance :)

Yup. That loop order is exactly what I am saying. Everything else can be mixed around in the order except the Reservoir -> Pump. You can do GPU -> CPU-> RAD -> RAD -> RES .....etc

Hey sure no problem. Again, if you have lots of questions don't be afraid to ask but don't forget to do some reading and research. Keep reading our stickies and links.

When it comes down to radiator fans you want the best static pressure possible for said RPM speed.

I don't know too much about those fans. Look at the link I posted on my last post. They do radiator fan reviews.
Alright, I've found four that are interesting, although one of them is not available in europe from what I can find :(
Read some reviews on the static pressure etc and the Rosewill Hyperborea was very high performance for little money, so that one would've been my first priority. Sadly it is not available so I'll have to do get something else.

Can you help me pick one of these three?
There is the Swiftech Helix 120 that you linked, but I am unsure of whether or not it will be loud?
Price: $16
Code:
Specifications:
Model: HELIX-120-BW
Size: 120x25mm
Voltage: ~7 - 13.8 VDC
Current: 0.2 A
Speed: 1,800 RPM (+/- 10%)
Volume: 55 CFM
Static pressure: 2.29 mmH20
Accoustic noise: < 33 db(A)
Bearing type: Z-Axis
Connector: 3 Pin
Tach Output: Yes
Expected Lifetime: 60,000 Hrs
2.29 static pressure / 1800 = 0.00127

Then there is the "Silverstone AP121 Air Penetrator"
Price: $23.38
Code:
Specifications:
Model: SST-AP121
Material: Plastic
Color: Transparent UV blue blades, black frame
Dimensions: 120x120x25mm
RPM: 1500 RPM
Airflow: 35.36CFM
Effective Airflow Range: 1 Meter
Noise Level: 22.4 dB(A)
Static Pressure: 1.71mmH2O
Air Speed: 2.5m/s (measured at fan exit)
Bearing: Fluid dynamic bearing
Rated Voltage: 12V DC
Start Voltage: 5V DC
Rated Current: Max 0.33A (Actual) 0.09A
Rated Power: Max 3.96W (Actual)1.08W
Connection: 3-pin
Expected lifetime: 50.000 timer
1.71 static pressure / 1500 = 0.00114

Lastly there is the Cougar Vortex CF-V12S
Price: $21.58
Code:
Specifications:
Model: Vortex CF-V12S
Material: Plastic / Silicone
Color: Black / Orange
Dimensions: 120x120x25mm
RPM: 1200 RPM +/- 10%
Airflow: 60,4 CFM / 102,6m³/h
Static pressure: 1.73 (mm H2O)
Noise level: 17.7 dB(A)
Bearing: Hyper-spin
Volt (V): 12
Connection: 3-pin RPM (or 4pin via supplied adapter)
Expected lifetime: > 150.000 timer
1.73 static pressure / 1200 = 0.00144

Also I have not yet ruled out the possibility of getting the "Scythe Gentle Typhoon AP-15" you recommended, but I read some guy complaining that this was not quiet at all, he was very disappointed with it. The other reviews were promissing though. The AP-15 costs $24.64 which is quite a bit considering that I need four of them. Guess I'll have to work out how much I am willing to spend on the fans. But the ones above seem alright don't they?

Not a fan of the 750 pump but that kit is ok. The tubing and fans that come with it suck. It's a good affordable beginners kit but not of high quality imo. I would look for the one with the D5 pump on it. I would stick with buying each individual part if you want to do this right.

Alright, so the "EK-D5 Vario (12V DC Pump)" and the "EK-RES X3 150" ye?

No. Static pressure is the continuous amount of energy the fan creates to go through the radiator. Air pressure in layman's terms.
I see, thanks

Always remember a radiators length always sticks out at the top and bottom. So when you see the fan holes, that will not be the length of the radiators actual size.
Yes I can see that on various pictures of the radiators. I will be measuring my case today

Yup. That loop order is exactly what I am saying. Everything else can be mixed around in the order except the Reservoir -> Pump. You can do GPU -> CPU-> RAD -> RAD -> RES .....etc

Hey sure no problem. Again, if you have lots of questions don't be afraid to ask but don't forget to do some reading and research. Keep reading our stickies and links.

Thanks, I will (both read'n'ask), I spent an additional 5-8 hours yesterday researching it : )

Alright then, I took a few measurements since last post.

There are 60 mm from the back of the case to the chipset on the motherboard, but the if the current fan was to be extended even past that, it wouldn't actually hit the chipset, it would pass it by. The current fan is a 120mm fan, so I don't think this will be a problem right?

Secondly, there are 40 mm from the top to the motherboard, but again, it will not hit the actual mother board only pass it by as long as the radiator/fan is not wider than 120mm (which it wont be). As seen in the picture here: http://cwsmgmt.corsair.com/media/catalog/product/5/5/550d_side_open_built_1.png a 240mm radiator can fit just fine in regards to the length of the radiator.

I've taken a bunch of photos that you can see here, I've tried to take of any relevant part of the case:
Sorry about all the dust, have been a few months since I last cleaned it, and I plan to completely disassemble it and re-assemble it when I get my water cooling components : )

Anyway, the radiators that I had initially thought about using are all 47mm thick, which means that with a 25mm fan on top of it it is 72mm thick. That is alot. Would it be "smarter" for me to get say 30 - 35mm radiators? The ones that I am currently looking at are: "Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper 120mm" and "Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper 240mm", but I'll have to look more into it tomorrow.

I would go with the ST30 radiators, just make sure what their FPI is. Also, make sure nothing get's in the way.

AP-15s are the fans to get. I don't know what that guy was complaining about unless he mixed that fan with the AP-29.

The choice of fans is up to you. I've told you what is important in picking the right radiator fan.

I would go with the ST30 radiators, just make sure what their FPI is. Also, make sure nothing get's in the way.

Roger that, thanks. I've googled a bit and I seem to be unable to find the FPI of them, got any tips for that? I'll try to find out more tomorrow, but I'm heading to bed as we speak(or type :) )

AP-15s are the fans to get. I don't know what that guy was complaining about unless he mixed that fan with the AP-29.

The choice of fans is up to you. I've told you what is important in picking the right radiator fan.

Sounds like you're saying that I should get the AP-15, and then you're saying that you've told me what's important for picking the right radiator fan, as if the AP-15's are for the case :O
Am I just misunderstanding you there?

Sorry for all the fuzz, I'm soon done :p

Yeah, I am saying its up to you which fans you want to get. The choice between the Helix120 or AP-15s is up to you as long as its a low FPI radiator. You could with something else but just make sure they have good static pressure as those.

Yeah, I am saying its up to you which fans you want to get. The choice between the Helix120 or AP-15s is up to you as long as its a low FPI radiator. You could with something else but just make sure they have good static pressure as those.

Alright thanks, I've found out that the Alphacool ST30's have 10 FPI which is a quite low FPI count afaik (high FPI counts are 30 from what I can find).

I was looking into my choice of reservoir again, and I think I have decided I want a bay instead, as mounting the cylinder reservoir would require me to permanently mod the case - which I am not interested in if it can be avoided.

I am currently looking at the "EK-BAY SPIN Reservoir - Plexi", because it is currently on sale(50%) and it looks quite decent. It takes up two 5.25" bays which is fine as I've got 3 to spare.

But, the site says that this (as well as the previous cylinder reservoir) uses "Compression 10/13mm" fittings, I am using 10/16 tube as well as 10/16 fittings for the rest of the system, how do I deal with this? I've found a subcategory named Adapters, but they only make 1 to 3 adapters etc, not from one size to another.

Alright thanks, I've found out that the Alphacool ST30's have 10 FPI which is a quite low FPI count afaik (high FPI counts are 30 from what I can find).

I was looking into my choice of reservoir again, and I think I have decided I want a bay instead, as mounting the cylinder reservoir would require me to permanently mod the case - which I am not interested in if it can be avoided.

I am currently looking at the "EK-BAY SPIN Reservoir - Plexi", because it is currently on sale(50%) and it looks quite decent. It takes up two 5.25" bays which is fine as I've got 3 to spare.

But, the site says that this (as well as the previous cylinder reservoir) uses "Compression 10/13mm" fittings, I am using 10/16 tube as well as 10/16 fittings for the rest of the system, how do I deal with this? I've found a subcategory named Adapters, but they only make 1 to 3 adapters etc, not from one size to another.

It might come with those fittings. You will need to add 2 of your own selected fittings to the reservoir. Don't worry about it. Just make sure you have enough said fittings for all the holes (G1/4) you're going to connect too.

It might come with those fittings. You will need to add 2 of your own selected fittings to the reservoir. Don't worry about it. Just make sure you have enough said fittings for all the holes (G1/4) you're going to connect too.

Will make sure that I order as many as I need, thanks :)

I should be good to go once I've picked my fans ye?

As for Fan Noise i should take time to listen to these Video's in this post by Martin's Lab!!

This will give you a good idea about the Fans you need to look for in Denmark, the NoiseBlockers made in Germany could be the best and closest for you to buy!! ;) :thup:

1, http://martinsliquidlab.org/2013/05/07/fan-testing-round-12/

2, http://www.caseking.de/shop/catalog/

I also buy things from this Web Site as they are rated really great!! :thup:

GL AJ.

Thanks will have a look. From what I can see, the AP-15 (which is the one I am leaning woards) reaches 45dB, that's quite alot isn't it :(?

In regards to Caseking, I realize that they offer a wider selection of fans etc, but the warrenty etc is just so incredibly good in Denmark so I feel that I have to buy it from a danish shop.

Will make sure that I order as many as I need, thanks :)

I should be good to go once I've picked my fans ye?

Not necessarily. We always end up needing something else in the loop. It happens to us all. You might need some angle fittings as well. We all usually buy a few just in case.

Not necessarily. We always end up needing something else in the loop. It happens to us all. You might need some angle fittings as well. We all usually buy a few just in case.

I'll squeeze a few of those in as well, thank you :)

Alright then I feel that I am ready to order the stuff - already ordered my graphics card as there was a 13% off discount during the weekend. The tubing, fitting etc are all 10/16mm, but does that even fit with the pump? The EK-D5 Vario (12V DC Pump). The description says: Connection size: 13mm barbs

Also you suggested to get some angled fittings, are we talking 45 or 90 degree? Also how many? just two?

Alright then I feel that I am ready to order the stuff - already ordered my graphics card as there was a 13% off discount during the weekend. The tubing, fitting etc are all 10/16mm, but does that even fit with the pump? The EK-D5 Vario (12V DC Pump). The description says: Connection size: 13mm barbs

Also you suggested to get some angled fittings, are we talking 45 or 90 degree? Also how many? just two?

I would've bought everything next week during cyber week. There's going to be crazy deals everywhere.

Just base it in your head or draw out a blue print. Than guess where it will be too tight and will need a angle fitting.

13mm barbs are 1/2" so I think you should be ok.

I would've bought everything next week during cyber week. There's going to be crazy deals everywhere.

Just base it in your head or draw out a blue print. Than guess where it will be too tight and will need a angle fitting.

We don't have that in Denmark, sadly :(

What about the pump, will the tubing fit ?

Back