• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to Wcing - Are my temps reasonable/improvable?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I am sure there are no rules against two topics about two different things. :)

I am no Moderator and I'm not trying to be, so someone correct me if I am wrong.

Under intel burn testing I'm hitting 86 C on 2 cores, which is scaring me a little. Given that I'm still at relatively low voltage I'm wondering how efficient my water loop is?

When I bought my case for my previous build i didn't plan ahead to have enough room for WC so I made a new bottom compartment for it. The idea was to have a push pull on the radiator without pushing the hot air back into my case. I've got the rad in the bottom compartment together with the PSU, the pump/res up where the power supply used to be. It's a little ghetto looking, I know, but in principle it should work well.... Thoughts?

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=33tm006&s=7

http://tinypic.com/r/5ee881/7

Does this pic help any?

I've got the rad on the bottom, going to the pump/res in the middle, and then up to the CPU which comes back down to the bottom inlet on the rad. There are 4 fans on the rad in Push/Pull (they are pretty low CFMs, ~60)

There's a filter coming off the pump output and a drain valve in the bottom level on the line coming from the CPU to the rad.

any idea what sort of flow you're getting? How warm is the air being blown out of the rad at load?

Is there a way to check the flow short of taking the whole thing apart and draining the coolant out?

The fans exhaust out the side of the bottom tier of the case.

Benn recommended trying to run the stress tests at stock speed for a comparison. My temperature is maxing at 53 C on stock speed. Voltage is only .15 less. How is .15 voltage increasing my temps 30+ degrees?

Is there a way to check the flow short of taking the whole thing apart and draining the coolant out?

The fans exhaust out the side of the bottom tier of the case.

yes, but how warm is the air coming out vs the air going in? Is the block getting hot? There's a few places things could be breaking down. 1) Heat is not making it into the block, this could be from poor contact with the cores from the IHS or poor contact with the IHS from the block. 2) heat is not making it out of the block, this comes from heat not making it into the water due to lack of flow, flow obstruction or some sort of coating on the inside of the block decreasing it's performance. 3)Heat is not making it out of the water. This could be due to not enough airflow across the rad or the air coming into the rad being too warm. If you're not getting heat into the block, it won't matter how good your loop is, something else is the cause.

If you're not getting heat out of the block, the block will be rather warm to the touch, the solution here is to teardown and clean the block, make sure it's not obstructed and put it back together, if there's still a problem after that (and it's not one of the other things) it's a flow issue through the block. If your rad is not operating efficiently, the water temps will go up. More rad, more fans, better rad, more flow, or cleaning could fix this...that should cover about everything.

My temps on my sig full tests on CPU/GPU concurrently max on the CPU at 56C. You have a hot chip methinks, or your fannage and/or the ability of air being pushed through the rad totally suck.

What is the side of the case like that has the rad against it? Is it also sealed somewhat so your not just recirculating hot case air.

Tell you what, run the tests with no sides on the case and blow a house fan into the case while the tests are run.

I bet your rad/fan mounts are poor for air somehow.

Back